Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gateway Apache Questions

OK so I won't make this super long or anything, but I'm looking for a cheap filler/see if I like it disc to pair with my mid 160's X-Cyclone until/after I grab a max weight ESP-Cyclone (Getting it custom stamped, don't quite wanna spend the $$ for it just yet).

Marshall Street has X-Out HPP Apaches for like 8 bucks, absurd pricing, but more to the point, is their flight chart on it accurate? I'm looking for something in the 7 speed range as far as distance, and stability wise something around an Eagle/Teebird so according to Marshall it'll work nicely. Other places have it rated as a 9 speed and a more TL type flight path (-1/2). I've also heard however that Apaches are more like 9 speeds, and kind of fly more like valks. I've also heard they fly more like slower wraiths. Basically I've heard these discs fly anywhere from 7 speeds at -2/2 to 9 speeds at -0.5/3.

Basically, what is a max weight HPP Apache supposed to (or generally) fly like? If it's not similar to the Eagle/Teebird, does gateway make any discs that are in this kind of Stable/Slightly OS True Fairway (6/7 speed) spot?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 41 Times in 27 Posts

Old mold Apaches are 7s, new ones are 9s. I don't really know much about them after that, although they might be -1/2. They also have a bead, which I thought was interesting.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 208
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 295 Times in 159 Posts

Apaches are interesting discs. I like them, but I don't have them in my bag. They do have a wider wing similar to a 9 speed disc, but the bead slows them down to be more on par with a 7 speed disc. They are usually pretty domey and have tons of glide. The flight reminds me more of a midrange than a driver. They fly more like a Teebird than an Eagle if I were to compare it to those two discs, but really they kind of fly their own line.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 141 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
Apaches are interesting discs. I like them, but I don't have them in my bag. They do have a wider wing similar to a 9 speed disc, but the bead slows them down to be more on par with a 7 speed disc. They are usually pretty domey and have tons of glide. The flight reminds me more of a midrange than a driver. They fly more like a Teebird than an Eagle if I were to compare it to those two discs, but really they kind of fly their own line.
they can also be sneaky long with that glide. they look slow in the air then they just went 25' farther then you thought it did. an hpp would pair nice with a x cyclone in IMO.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by money 21 View Post
they can also be sneaky long with that glide. they look slow in the air then they just went 25' farther then you thought it did. an hpp would pair nice with a x cyclone in IMO.
^^^^^ This.... sneaky long is right. They're pretty easy to throw and rather neutral. There is a little movement, but overall a very comfortable driver that you could throw in tunnels or in the open.