Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 361 Times in 143 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WautownRob View Post
So.. I've wanted to ask this question for a while, and almost started a thread some time ago... Whatever happened to McFlysoHigh? He was the best cameraman and had 4k when ccdg maybe just started to have 720 videos. I know he went to prodigy, but last year i'm pretty sure that stuff coming out didnt look like his work at all. If Marty couldn't make it, what hope is it for the rest of these filming crews? And where did PHP go? Dude made some great vids as well. Its a shame when business and friends are wrapped up together because it rarely seems to end up well. Anyways, it will be interesting to see how this production crews v. DGPT Tour plays out.
Felt like his fall coincided with Will’s injury. The Prodigy sponsorship forced him to film the top Prodigy pro during tournments. Without Will on lead card, this often caused him to film a lower card.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 212
Niced 125 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I'll take Jomez's and CCDG's crews every single day over that guy. Personally and professionally.

What happened was better products came into the market and pushed inferior products out. Capitalism baby.

EDIT: Talking about McFly. PHP (Paavo) is a good dude.
This is interesting, especially re: personally and professionally. I've been filmed by Marty several times and had good experiences with him on and off the course. I also hired him to do coverage of a tournament I ran a couple years ago, and he showed up on time, had the editing done promptly, and we were satisfied with the product.

When he started in 2013-ish, retrospectively that seems like a transitional era between Disc Golf Monthly, DGP.TV, some Murder Mike, and a couple other small players. Around that time, I think CCDG was active, but for the most part only on the west coast, and still had Kev begging for forehand rollers.

For maybe two years until Jomez began ramping up and CCDG upgraded their production value, I personally think Marty was state of the art. Without my knowing much about filming and camera work, it seems like he mastered pretty quickly the ability to manage exposure, zoom, and tracking all at once, tailoring his skills especially to the NC woods. Some of his old videos are absolute gold (viz. 2013 MPO Final 18 at the Hall of Fame Classic, which, at the time of this writing, has 236K views--gotta be a strong contender for most views of a full round, even now, right?). For single-cam, no-commentary, with sorta chintzy text overlays, it totally holds up. In a way, the "sounds of the game" on remote courses feel more authentic than all but the best commentary. The world is better for "What else could possibly happen?!". An obvious counter-example to this is Vegas 2014, which is way more open and has tons of road noise adjacent to the course.

Now, I'm saying all this with the caveat that once the multi-cam, next-day, commentary-added, premium-graphics, fly-through previews, and Slomez/Nomez/Shot Trackers were basically standard, McFly kinda got left behind. I think some of this is his own stylistic choices--not wanting to drown out his filming and audio with commentary, and being basically a single-person operation, aside from his wife doing some catch-cam work here and there. And I don't really have anything empirical to support this feeling--but as I watched, some visceral intuition developed that having to rebuild a following on Prodigy's channel, being guided/directed toward certain events or brand-related cards, and maaaybe being forced into a mode of trying some guest commentary didn't really support the vision Marty had for himself. I can see how he's a little bit of a loner, and maybe wasn't that interested in what other videographers were doing--but his overall vision is not a conversation we've had, so further speculation on my part wouldn't be worth much.

Last I heard, he'd gone back to work in printing and publishing... which while not glamorous, is assuredly a more stable lifestyle.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 212
Niced 125 Times in 43 Posts

Annnnd I'm back out of bed after realizing that in a post quoting Jamie Thomas I'd clipped a sentence about SpinTV to reorganize and forgot to put it back in. I deserve whatever excoriation I get.

Also, I miss lcgm8, Pure Hyzer Productions, Hyzernauts, Billy Crump, and North Alabama Disc Golf.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

I listened to the Upshot podcast on this issue last night and it was really good. It was a very frank discussion that got right to the point.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,151 Times in 522 Posts

McFlySoHigh wasn't always the easiest guy to work with when sharing a fairway. But, there were times he was completely cordial as well. Once the world started going to 2 camera, he tried to adapt and get his wife to film 2nd cam, but ultimately it wasn't the quality that we were becoming accustomed to with some of the other crews.

On top of that, he was employed by Prodigy, so he had to try and work with them and still want to cover top cards. The mixture just didn't work out.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 834 Times in 382 Posts

Paavo from Pure Hyzer Productions has said that the time and effort he put into the videos just wasn't worth the investment. It's a shame, as I really enjoyed his work. He left the door open to return to it at some point, but it doesn't sound like that'll happen.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,652 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WautownRob View Post
So.. I've wanted to ask this question for a while, and almost started a thread some time ago... Whatever happened to McFlysoHigh? He was the best cameraman and had 4k when ccdg maybe just started to have 720 videos. I know he went to prodigy, but last year i'm pretty sure that stuff coming out didnt look like his work at all. If Marty couldn't make it, what hope is it for the rest of these filming crews? And where did PHP go? Dude made some great vids as well. Its a shame when business and friends are wrapped up together because it rarely seems to end up well. Anyways, it will be interesting to see how this production crews v. DGPT Tour plays out.
OK so first defending myself. We had 720 for the very first vid in 2011. After that I've shot 1080/60p since. Youtube didn't always let us upload 60p, but as soon as they did, I did.

2nd. He just used a DSLR. I've ranted on this before, but DSLRs are not the right tool for the job. They're great for artsy/highlight type vids, but when shooting rounds with it, and using shallow depth of field, and filming putts from directly behind, you're robbing the viewer of information. How far was that putt? Then there are cases where the aperture needed adjusting (open fairway --> wooded green), but hands are full with zoom/focus.

You don't see any other sport using DSLRs to shoot the actual footage. Everyone uses camcorders/ENG cams.

That said he did a pretty damn good job with it, it's just not the tool I, or the rest of us picked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethead326 View Post
Some of his old videos are absolute gold (viz. 2013 MPO Final 18 at the Hall of Fame Classic, which, at the time of this writing, has 236K views--gotta be a strong contender for most views of a full round, even now, right?).
Not even close surprisingly. 2013 European on SpintTV open has 1.4 million views (part 1 at least). Commentary by yours truly and my buddy Brett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethead326 View Post
Annnnd I'm back out of bed after realizing that in a post quoting Jamie Thomas I'd clipped a sentence about SpinTV to reorganize and forgot to put it back in. I deserve whatever excoriation I get.

Also, I miss lcgm8, Pure Hyzer Productions, Hyzernauts, Billy Crump, and North Alabama Disc Golf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
Paavo from Pure Hyzer Productions has said that the time and effort he put into the videos just wasn't worth the investment. It's a shame, as I really enjoyed his work. He left the door open to return to it at some point, but it doesn't sound like that'll happen.
I've actually been talking with Paavo. You might not have seen the last of him. Plan is to have him film some of the NorCal stuff, and get it on CCDG.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 834 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
I've actually been talking with Paavo. You might not have seen the last of him. Plan is to have him film some of the NorCal stuff, and get it on CCDG.
Splendid news. He would be a great addition to your team. Now you just need someone from the midwest **ahem**

Old 11-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Can someone who actually knows the inner workings answer this: do Steve Dodge and the DGPT actually have the power to unilaterally decide how filming will take place? Or did the local TDs also have to agree? I'm not seeing any discussion related to the actual events that make up the DGPT.

In the podcasts that I've listened to, it sounds like the media teams (or maybe just Smashboxx) were working without contracts. Is there some kind of binding agreement between the local clubs who are putting on each tournament in the pro tour and the DGPT that extends into 2019? Is he just betting that all of the TDs will go along with him?

So, for example, the Memorial has existed as a tournament for many years before the inception of the DGPT. What would happen if the TD of that tournament, who appears to not be a DGPT employee, said "nope, we want Jomez to film MPO1"? Would they be in breech of contract or would the DGPT just be down a tournament? What are the ramifications, if any?

Old 11-20-2018, 01:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,652 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beable View Post
Can someone who actually knows the inner workings answer this: do Steve Dodge and the DGPT actually have the power to unilaterally decide how filming will take place? Or did the local TDs also have to agree? I'm not seeing any discussion related to the actual events that make up the DGPT.
I know he talks to the TDs about stuff, but Dodge has final say.

Quote:
In the podcasts that I've listened to, it sounds like the media teams (or maybe just Smashboxx) were working without contracts. Is there some kind of binding agreement between the local clubs who are putting on each tournament in the pro tour and the DGPT that extends into 2019? Is he just betting that all of the TDs will go along with him?
I'm 99% sure they've signed a contract with the DGPT that gives them media control. Maybe Nate Heinold will pop in and correct me if I'm wrong

Quote:
So, for example, the Memorial has existed as a tournament for many years before the inception of the DGPT. What would happen if the TD of that tournament, who appears to not be a DGPT employee, said "nope, we want Jomez to film MPO1"? Would they be in breech of contract or would the DGPT just be down a tournament? What are the ramifications, if any?
I'd imagine they'd be in breech. Ramifications depends on the contract, and if someone feels like suing.

Niced: (3)