Old 04-05-2017, 11:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 926 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The real danger is that he'll accurately portray what goes into running Worlds.....

And no one will ever volunteer for it, again.
Amen.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 627 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbanbury View Post
Interesting read, thanks for posting this. Even a shout out to the legendary grumpy pants Chris Hysell
He's truly one of the five most important people in my "story" as a TD.

The event was the Battlefield Open in 2003 and this was before the PDGA had excel sheets that would do all the work for you.

You literally had to manually calculate payouts from a table you were given.

Even though this information is basically no longer needed or used, it set a great example of how knowledge should be shared.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 38 Times in 18 Posts

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you at worlds!

#onthatpointgrind

Niced: (1)
Old 04-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 263
Niced 39 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
I've decided to chronicle my experiences over the next year and a half TDing the worlds.

Here is the first post.

Hope all enjoy.

http://www.pdga.com/running-world-championship-part-1
Good read but I always wondered why the nicer hotels were never the host hotel for the Worlds. You would not consider a nice hotel in downtown Charlotte like the Hilton, Omni or Marriott (Courtyard and Residence Inn by baseball stadium may be too small) because they would not comp rooms for you and the staff? Downtown Charlotte is very walkable and having the host hotel last time on the outskirts of downtown (I think it was the Le Meridian which is dated and not very nice) seemed a bit much for players willing to stay at a nicer hotel or even at Loft or Holiday Inn in the center of town.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 128
Niced 627 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
Good read but I always wondered why the nicer hotels were never the host hotel for the Worlds. You would not consider a nice hotel in downtown Charlotte like the Hilton, Omni or Marriott (Courtyard and Residence Inn by baseball stadium may be too small) because they would not comp rooms for you and the staff? Downtown Charlotte is very walkable and having the host hotel last time on the outskirts of downtown (I think it was the Le Meridian which is dated and not very nice) seemed a bit much for players willing to stay at a nicer hotel or even at Loft or Holiday Inn in the center of town.
Good question.

We actually entered into contract with a hotel this week - not going to disclose anything about it - but I see your point.

If a hotel won't comp rooms, that's not a deal breaker. But let's say a room is $100 a night. That's $700 - $1000 for 2 staff members for the week. So you are adding in $5,000 into the budget. For $5,000, you could buy 750 competitors a disc for the players package or pay a portion of a catering bill for the event for a dinner.

So yeah, that's a major factor.

What we did was basically say we will guarantee X number of rooms per day and we will cover the costs if we don't hit that numbers. So with that, they comped us quite a few rooms.

As for the location, something like downtown may be fun, but it can be a traffic nightmare. Our hotel is very nice, but is not downtown. But really, if a hotel can't handle 400 - 500 rooms for a week and have adequate meeting space, it doesn't matter really how nice it is. It simply won't work.

You also don't want to get too expensive or people won't stay in the hotel.

Last edited by _MTL_; 04-05-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.6
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,126 Times in 586 Posts

For 2014 Am Worlds, we documented some of the course improvements that happened during the year around the event.

Here is a ridiculously large PowerPoint slide show about them. Maybe it can be useful to anyone trying to get upgrades for an upcoming tournament.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,136 Times in 1,017 Posts

For the 2012 Worlds, I thought the hotel was fine. Except for elevator problems. Some players may be looking for more luxury, but many are looking for price, and I'll bet it was nicer than the accommodations most disc golfers are used to. I thought it was a good compromise.

Plus, there was a story going around that the other half of the hotel was under renovations, and the renovations had been expected to have been completed before Worlds. So the plan had been for us to used the newly-renovated part, but we ended up in the older part. (I don't have that firsthand, and it might not be true).

I walked downtown from there. It wasn't that far.

I would imagine other considerations include having large public rooms to handle big crowds of people (particularly at that Worlds, being a Pro-Am with a record attendance), and parking not just for people staying in the host hotel, but people staying elsewhere and coming to it for various activities.