Old 02-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.9
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 275 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
I like the idea of inset pavers to delineate the circle. It would take some time to initially install, but once in it’s good. Might have to make a lap around the course and clean them off before tournaments, but that’s easy enough to do when doing all the other final checks on a course.

I think it would not only be helpful, but actually pretty classy and professional looking.
@ $400 plus sweat? I have thought on this.

The circumference of the DG circle is just over 2500 inches. Common brick size is 3 1/2 x 8 inches and 2 1/2 deep. About 320 or so.
Might be able to get what you want for around a dollar each. Maybe $40 for delivery of a nice pallets as close as possible. Plus piles (or bags) of sand and gravel for leveling and drainage as needed. Comes in around $400. See if one could avoid a sales tax and maybe get a small discount with a purchase order via a non-profit or public enenity.
4 inch spade on a rope and pivot for about 200 feet of 3 to 4 inch deep trenching.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by MarkDSM; 02-07-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 284 Times in 196 Posts

I’m not saying excavate, gravel, sand, tamp, full brick circle. No need to build 18 patios. I was just saying some of the 6” x12” grey “stone” pavers. Like 12 per hole evenly spaced and dropped in a small hole just shy of even with ground level. Yea it would cost some money and effort, but not a lot.

To each his own I suppose
Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 79
Niced 715 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
From this TDs perspective, marking the circle is a waste of time. It's really not too much extra work to have to walk it off and how much does it affect speed of play? I'd say minimal. For all of that cost in paint and my valuable time.. ? naaa I'll pass.

I'm curious though..
For those that do it, why? Was there an overwhelming player feedback that made you decide to do it, or do you think it just looks nice? Did you just see it at another event and then decide to start doing it?
I'm a complete newb when it comes to TD'ing events. I've got three under my belt in the last year. The one where we marked the circle I kind of liked it. I know this sounds cheesy but it made the event seem like a big deal to some of the players. The real serious players seemed to appreciate it. So for me, since it *seemed* to improve the experience for the players that made it worthwhile for the time I spent on it. That said, I did not bother to try to drag that string through brush or around dense trees. I figured if you jump putt in that crap you're really not getting much of an advantage.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 99
Niced 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
From this TDs perspective, marking the circle is a waste of time. It's really not too much extra work to have to walk it off and how much does it affect speed of play? I'd say minimal. For all of that cost in paint and my valuable time.. ? naaa I'll pass.

I'm curious though..
For those that do it, why? Was there an overwhelming player feedback that made you decide to do it, or do you think it just looks nice? Did you just see it at another event and then decide to start doing it?
It's just like some fancy icing on your tournament cake. Not really needed but nice to have to make your event stand out above the others.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 284 Times in 196 Posts

Now that I think about it, a flush to ground level full brick circle would be cool. Maybe if I ever get enough land...
Old 02-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 99
Niced 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post

The circumference of the DG circle is just over 2500 inches. Common brick size is 3 1/2 x 8 inches and 2 1/2 deep. About 320 or so.
Might be able to get what you want for around a dollar each. Maybe $40 for delivery of a nice pallets as close as possible. Plus piles (or bags) of sand and gravel for leveling and drainage as needed. Comes in around $400. See if one could avoid a sales tax and maybe get a small discount with a purchase order via a non-profit or public enenity.
4 inch spade on a rope and pivot for about 200 feet of 3 to 4 inch deep trenching.
Craig's List is a good friend in this situation. You keep your eye on the free section. Seems quite often someone is willing to get rid of bricks or pavers for free if you come and take them. 16 red bricks installed flush to the ground is enough to give you the rough idea of the circle and look nice.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 717 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post

I mentioned only 8 to 16 per hole. Spaced out along the circumference they'd only be 4 to 7 meters apart. With a solid line going through them representing the arch of the circle, it would be easy to visualize if your lie is in or out, even if it ended up being right in the middle of two of the pavers.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.9
Courses Played: 59
Niced 275 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I mentioned only 8 to 16 per hole. Spaced out along the circumference they'd only be 4 to 7 meters apart. With a solid line going through them representing the arch of the circle, it would be easy to visualize if your lie is in or out, even if it ended up being right in the middle of two of the pavers.

Oh yeah. My mind got floating and drifting away in it’s own, sorries for drift and mathing. Some of my own thoughts of doing some brick pavers work in a couple months in front of benches I out in last year.

I do like the spaced markers.