Old 01-11-2020, 04:40 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Here's my take:

I notice only now looking at the video that I'm kind of running through the throw.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2020, 12:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,423 Times in 2,089 Posts

Yeah, try striding with feet more sideways to target and landing on your front toes first and body leaned to side more like a submarine pitch or underhanded throw. Both your hips/pelvis are moving forward toward the front right teepad around your front foot. My hips/pelvis move forward toward the front left teepad behind my front foot as my front hip braces and clears over, also note the rear leg going to the left.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:53 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Alright, some questions..

Just before I tried to incorporate swim move, there was some evidence of bracing in my throw? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...3&postcount=29) Direction of movement is how I throw directly along the teepad, guess I must be releasing disc much more in front of me? I think if I tried to move same direction as you I would throw 45+ degrees left of teepad . Will give it a try of course.

Now heel first vs toes first. Here's my short statistics list, who throws how (not 100% sure, based on checking bunch of videos though).
Heel first - Silver Lätt, Sarah Hokum, Eagle McMahon, Albert Tamm
Toes first - Jessica Weese
One or the other - sidewinder22, Ricky Wysocki
Pretty much flat - Paul McBeth
Seems to me that good throws can produced using either method. Why do you suggest I should try moving more sideways and put toes on the ground first? To force brace? Make it more similar to backhand? Sadly I know as much about underhanded throw or submarine pitch as cow knows about rocket science. I will look those things up, but I've never done it, so no reference point here.

Just for the record, I'm not expecting to throw as far as any hotshot in the list above, effortless and repeatable 300-350' plus healthy joints will do! I'm not hoping for too much, am I?

Last edited by Erik.SR; 01-13-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention: Nice throws!
Old 01-14-2020, 01:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.SR View Post
Alright, some questions..

Just before I tried to incorporate swim move, there was some evidence of bracing in my throw? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...3&postcount=29) Direction of movement is how I throw directly along the teepad, guess I must be releasing disc much more in front of me? I think if I tried to move same direction as you I would throw 45+ degrees left of teepad . Will give it a try of course.

Now heel first vs toes first. Here's my short statistics list, who throws how (not 100% sure, based on checking bunch of videos though).
Heel first - Silver Lätt, Sarah Hokum, Eagle McMahon, Albert Tamm
Toes first - Jessica Weese
One or the other - sidewinder22, Ricky Wysocki
Pretty much flat - Paul McBeth
Seems to me that good throws can produced using either method. Why do you suggest I should try moving more sideways and put toes on the ground first? To force brace? Make it more similar to backhand? Sadly I know as much about underhanded throw or submarine pitch as cow knows about rocket science. I will look those things up, but I've never done it, so no reference point here.

Just for the record, I'm not expecting to throw as far as any hotshot in the list above, effortless and repeatable 300-350' plus healthy joints will do! I'm not hoping for too much, am I?
1. Your previous FH planted into a proper closed stance, your most recent FH planted into an open stance so you end up flying around the front foot.

2. I think that is correct, your release is more in front of your foot while my release is wider out to the side of my foot.

3. Heel vs toe mostly depends on stride length and balance and also feet direction in stride. If your balance is tilted back too far you will tend to land on the heel first. If you don't do an x-step and walk straight at target you will tend to land on heel first. If you do a sideways x-step you will tend to land on toes first and have a shorter/compact stride.

4. Walking more sideways allows your hips/shoulders to rotate more and allow you a longer backswing. When I try to walk straight at target, my swing feels extremely restricted/tight in a bad way. Sideways feels much more effortless motion back and forth.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:11 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hello again!

Next day after my last fh video I hurt my left knee, it got swollen and I limped around for 1.5 weeks, now it's slowly getting better. Only soft standstill forehands possible, so it's time to turn attention to backhand again.

Last thing to try on forehand was swim move and now I tried that on backhand as well. My attempt sure looks strange, but it does bring me more forward:

Sure feels different, also I think it's first time that my right shoulder is not by my ear. What to change here, what to keep? TIA!
Old 01-25-2020, 06:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah looking a little better. Looks like your stride/stance is a little to wide, I think your rear foot needs to turn further back away from target. While you got the rear arm forward which helped some, you didn't really use the arm in a swimming motion back away from target to leverage your body/swing even more forward.

Camera framing note - move it closer to you, you are really small in video.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:04 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Thank you for advice. I'm beginning to realize what slowplastic was saying about me not being in position to leverage myself forward in backhand throw and what you were saying about my weight transfer - long and slow. I think the problem is how I motor my throw. My idea is to accelerate smoothly so I try to start slow and add to it later. Still think it's right thing to do, but my implementation of it is flawed - I use no legs at the right time and then resort to cranking with smaller muscles to generate power. That's how I thought it works, you want more, you crank more.

Next day after last video I felt that x-step (it had quickly developed into hop) made things too fast/uncontrollable and landing on front heel really triggered me to explode with the throw - spraying discs all over. Longer I could hold back - less deviation there was. Then I tried standstills in order to just finish the throw (not to throw early) and discs basically flew as far as with x-step. Standstills had same problem though (trying to explode and no leg action), just to lesser extent.

So my own prescription to myself - keep legs slow in the beginning, smaller stride, leave upper body out of it (power generation), relax and finish the throw. When you think you can handle more power, generate it with legs!

NB! I wrote this under the influence of threads 'The Hips' and 'The Kinetic Sequence' mostly. Could well be that I've misunderstood some concepts, please correct me, if that's the case!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 310 Times in 233 Posts

I would start with just short shots with a little one step. Then slowly add more and more power but try to keep your stride length the same as the short shots.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:06 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Thank you for advice, UhhNegative! Makes lots of sense and reworking through one thread confirms it. I'll try to elaborate!

Thread is this one: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=132388
Loads of good stuff there, but what I think I understood now is this quackery, this simplest bloody thing in the world. I've never ever held golf club in my hands, but I did try those positions and moves out. It makes complete sense (in standstills for me so far - gotta dig further for x-step)! How this pre-tension/firmness keeps you in balance/control in backswing, how you want to preserve this tension, how you move to front leg while still feeling like you are turning further away from the target (by this same back leg counterclockwise resistance) and how you (that's me) really let this tension escape before throw if that final step is too long/slow.

But! Although it is a good feeling when something clicks, I have not done single throw to put it in practice yet, so we'll see what difference it makes. On a sidenote I now see sidewinder22 doing this quackery in one leg drill video! Never made sense to me how he is so fast out of the gate seemingly doing so little! Disc golf equivalent to one inch punch! Now I think I know. I'm trying not to have too high hopes but this has potential to increase both power and control!

Niced: (1)

Old 04-18-2020, 05:23 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

That right pec thing finally clicked for me. I feel as if I'm using 50-60% effort of my usual throw and can throw as far. Unable to put in any more effort though, all goes haywire then. Got to get used to throwing this way. Feels like big improvement.

But far from perfect, even to my eye. I'm not sure if my brace here is tiny bit better than before or it only appears so because of lower x-step speed. I still let everything move towards target after front heel hits the ground. I also see that I'm planting front foot too closed and probably too staggered. If I try to back off abit though, then I'll miss right of my intended line.
Torso should be tilted towards target instead of away from it during the throw?

Thank you!

Niced: (1)