Old 11-16-2020, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.8
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,477 Times in 1,882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
Yeah, she's doing a real bang up job. She's right in line with florida and georgia on deaths and current infections rates are twice as high...

Honestly I don't know how anyone can be impressed with her. My state (PA) is very similarly demographically, geographically, politically, etc. Yet we have many schools and colleges open, restaurants open, etc., and are at half of Michigan's infection rate. Why? Because we have reasonable, intelligent restrictions in place that are designed to target the most dangerous activities. In spite of the drastic differences in opinion, our democratic governor has quietly worked with our republican legislature and local governments instead of constantly butting heads to show how macho he is and put himself in the spotlight.

It takes more than listening to scientists, you actually have to govern.
I would suggest that the differences in hospitalization rates between PA and MI are not governed based. I would also suggest the gap will shortly disappear, as it is likely to get very serious everywhere, very soon.

I am not interested in infection rates, honestly. I don't think you are confused by them either. I only have an interest in the healthcare's ability to save lives.

Current vent numbers for both states are very similar.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by ru4por; 11-16-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:12 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 478 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I would suggest that the differences in hospitalization rates between PA and MI are not governed based. I would also suggest the gap will shortly disappear, as it is likely to get very serious everywhere, very soon.

I am not interested in infection rates, honestly. I don't think you are confused by them either. I only have an interest in the healthcare's ability to save lives.

Current vent numbers for both states are very similar.
Any metric I look at (daily cases, hospitalizations, deaths) PA looks way better than MI. I will stick with my low-key governor who is fine with staying out of the spotlight and quietly going about his business of working to save lives. I don't need someone who's put her ego and political goals ahead of properly governing her state.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-16-2020, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Any metric I look at (daily cases, hospitalizations, deaths) PA looks way better than MI. I will stick with my low-key governor who is fine with staying out of the spotlight and quietly going about his business of working to save lives. I don't need someone who's put her ego and political goals ahead of properly governing her state.
I respect your take. I was not really defending Whitmer, as much as expressing frustration at the White House response.

I think the decisions are moot. I am not sure how to mitigate damage to business while staying at home.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-16-2020, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 6,187 Times in 2,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Among the interesting things from the Moderna announcement, is it bolsters the notion that the MRNA approach is a good one.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:24 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 18
Niced 88 Times in 49 Posts

The local Wal-Mart and stores like them have reinstated their mandatory policy of customers wearing masks and limiting the number of customers in the stores.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 4
Niced 584 Times in 288 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, she's doing a real bang up job. She's right in line with florida and georgia on deaths and current infections rates are twice as high...

Honestly I don't know how anyone can be impressed with her. My state (PA) is very similarly demographically, geographically, politically, etc. Yet we have many schools and colleges open, restaurants open, etc., and are at half of Michigan's infection rate. Why? Because we have reasonable, intelligent restrictions in place that are designed to target the most dangerous activities. In spite of the drastic differences in opinion, our democratic governor has quietly worked with our republican legislature and local governments instead of constantly butting heads to show how macho he is and put himself in the spotlight.

It takes more than listening to scientists, you actually have to govern.
setting aside the politics, what has PA done differently that has resulted in better outcome to date? Isn't that what really matters?
Old 11-16-2020, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 158
Niced 1,329 Times in 664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discraft Dad View Post
The local Wal-Mart and stores like them have reinstated their mandatory policy of customers wearing masks and limiting the number of customers in the stores.
You didn't already have a mask mandate?
Old 11-16-2020, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
setting aside the politics, what has PA done differently that has resulted in better outcome to date? Isn't that what really matters?
IMO, I don't think anyone knows that. I think it is so early, we are learning so much and not enough data to make predictive models that whittle out the tons of variables. The midwest is getting hammered right now. PA has a mask mandate, it is not as if they are rolling like the Dakotas. The numbers are driven with a ton of different variables. How is testing being done, who is being tested, how many are being tested, what area are being tested, what tests are being used, what is the veracity of the tests used....I mean there are SO many ways for these numbers to be skewed.

I think keeping people from gathering inside, wearing a mask, social distancing and hand washing are paramount. They are the only known effective tools to fight COVID. Maybe PA is doing GREAT in these areas....I hope so. If not, I think it is a matter of time, meaning when, not if things get bad.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:06 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 18
Niced 88 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
You didn't already have a mask mandate?
There was one for awhile but they began to relax the rules the past month or so. Not coincidentally, cases began to skyrocket here since Nov 1

Old 11-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 397 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
I don't trust Moderna AT ALL. Have they ever put a novel product to market? If there is a choice of vaccine I would absolutely steer clear from this one.
Closed Thread