Old 07-16-2020, 04:19 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 644 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StokedNBroke View Post
I have the wizards from just doing some reading up on em & a warship from Craigslist. I guess I'm just feeling around in the dark currently. I just want to learn & learn. I've only played one course because it's always empty. I don't want to get in the way of anyone at a course I guess :/
Do you have a recommended midrange or driver?

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk
Wizards are a fine choice, same with the Warship. They call the Warship a midrange but it is basically a fairway driver; sort of in between and can fulfill both roles if needed.

If you want to try out other midranges, there are many tried and true classics like the Roc, Buzzz, Comet, etc. You want something that you can learn to control. Same with drivers, something you can control and reinforce your development of learning to throw. As I noted, the Warship can fill this role, but you can also try out other discs that are somewhat neutral, with maybe a little turn and fade. Leopard is the classic starter driver, but anything somewhat similar will work. Somewhere in the speed 6 to 9 range, with turn and fade numbers balancing out close to zero.

Don't worry about getting in the way of anyone. Just keep getting out there and throwing. Most people will be understanding and a lot of folks will be helpful if you ask. If you feel uncomfortable with people coming up behind you on the course you can always let them play through.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2020, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,183 Times in 791 Posts

Welcome to the sport! And DGCR...

As you bump through here eventually you will have people say get a Comet... I will say get a Comet! It's the ultimate straight flying low armspeed disc, I got one because of DGCR (after 5 yrs on here and 15+ playing). Might as well try one sooner than later, it will be a nice neutral to understable complement to your Warship, the Tursas is too but it requires more armspeed I HEAR it's a warship top with a different bottom.

Follow through on your throws, don't jam your body at the end of your throw you will hurt yourself.

Your entire body is the whip and your arm just the tip of it, lead with the body let your arm follow.

Don't get right up to the front of the teepad, give yourself a half step of space to follow through after your throw.

Realize that there are folks out there that throw a wizard 300+ feet... I would say a goal is to get at least 150' with your putters.. It can be done!

Right on man have fun and good luck!

Niced: (2)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 07-17-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 406 Times in 245 Posts

but first get a Roc....

Old 07-17-2020, 10:55 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 185 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Your entire body is the whip and your arm just the tip of it, lead with the body let your arm follow.

Realize that there are folks out there that throw a wizard 300+ feet... I would say a goal is to get at least 150' with your putters.. It can be done!
Note that brand new players may view these as in contradiction, or try to throw hard so their putters going 300 feet.

It is more important to throw smoothly and in controlled fashion with the best form you can muster than it is to throw far. Throwing far comes from better form, not the other way around.

(I know you know this Throwa, just wanted to make sure your message wasn't misunderstood)