Old 08-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 643 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerBro34 View Post
Hey guys! Fairly new player here. I'm a forehand dominant lefty (used to be a pitcher). I throw the following discs forehand.

FD3 - 9,4,0,3
Firebird - 9,3,0,4
PD - 10,4,0,3
DD - 11,5,0,2
TD - 10,5,-2,1
Shryke - 13,6,-2,2

I'm getting 300-325 on pretty much all of them, assuming I don't have a mis-release. Good throws get closer to 350. The Skryke does seem to have a bit more oomph to it if I give it some wrist snap, and both the TD and Shryke will turnover a little when thrown hard.

I guess my question is, is there much actual difference in the amount of distance I'll be able to get out of any of these, or is the biggest difference going to be the shape they take in flight? It seems like I snap off a half dozen really good throws per day of field work, but there's not much difference between discs.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the difference between a 9 speed and an 11 speed (or even the 13 speed) a bit overstated? I feel like the Skryke's glide is what sets it apart, rather then the distance rating...

Anyways, help. Much appreciated.
Agree with much of what has been said already.

If you have a throwing background I'd say you could get pretty much anything over 300' just based on powering them out there. I particularly agree with the suggestion to throw some more understable discs to smooth out your throw.

Of the discs listed I have thrown the Firebird and Shryke, as well as other discs that are close to the Discmania ones. I'd expect the Shryke and DD to be going 400'+. They should be getting considerably more distance than the Firebird.

For the baseball people, if you have heard of Driveline, I tried to modify one of their 8 week on ramping programs for disc golf. Made some good gains and learned a lot. Big believer in doing band work and other recovery/prep/prehab protocols. I get the impression that disc golfers don't take care of their arms as well as they could.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2020, 10:31 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Agree with much of what has been said already.

If you have a throwing background I'd say you could get pretty much anything over 300' just based on powering them out there. I particularly agree with the suggestion to throw some more understable discs to smooth out your throw.

Of the discs listed I have thrown the Firebird and Shryke, as well as other discs that are close to the Discmania ones. I'd expect the Shryke and DD to be going 400'+. They should be getting considerably more distance than the Firebird.

For the baseball people, if you have heard of Driveline, I tried to modify one of their 8 week on ramping programs for disc golf. Made some good gains and learned a lot. Big believer in doing band work and other recovery/prep/prehab protocols. I get the impression that disc golfers don't take care of their arms as well as they could.
So, I can understand that I'm overpowering stuff to get distance. I guess the question for me then is, what's the alternative? What should I be doing instead of what I'm currently doing?

If you need video, I can get some in the next few days. But even a starting point would be great.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:09 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerBro34 View Post
So, I can understand that I'm overpowering stuff to get distance. I guess the question for me then is, what's the alternative? What should I be doing instead of what I'm currently doing?

If you need video, I can get some in the next few days. But even a starting point would be great.
The alternative is working on a various things that will increase efficiency and turn the velocity/power you have into "cleaner" power to transfer into the disc. The biggest breakthroughs in my opinion are when throwing starts to feel effortless and you either match or exceed your current distance with less perceived effort. Video will be helpful to spot specific things to work on, but if you head down to the Form Analysis section there are a ton of drills and info breaking down various aspects of throwing both backhand and forehand.

Your pitching background will be an asset as there is a lot of carryover. Throwing is throwing, after all, and whether it is a ball or a disc, spin is spin.

The discs you mentioned earlier are mostly overstable to very overstable, except the TD and Shryke. I'd work with getting the understable discs to fly smoothly. If you can get some slower discs, discs as slow as putters, to fly relatively smooth and stable, then you know your throw is cleaner. If they are fluttering and diving then you know your throw you have work to do. Something like a Firebird won't give you as much feedback as it will just eat up power indiscriminately. Often people who work on throwing a putter forehand find that it helps clean up their form immensely and that will transfer over to other discs. When I learned to throw a beat Aviar forehand it improved my throwing.

Also a focus on spin is something I find important, and you'll hear that from a lot of pros teaching forehand. There needs to be enough spin relative to the velocity in order to keep the disc flying smoothly. If you have big power behind a throw but not enough spin, you won't get good results. Grip and wrist action are key to getting enough spin. Again, check out videos/discussion in the Form Analysis, or go on youtube and check out guys like Scott Stokely, Nate Sexton, Paul Ulibarri has a good video on getting spin on the sidearm.

There is a lot info to sift through, and you'll find that while some things people say may conflict, they generally agree on the most important things.

To sum up:

Video/Form Analysis
Spin
Work with understable/neutral discs to get more feedback
Old 08-05-2020, 02:23 AM
Eagle Member

With the stated goal of max distance, I'll add that once you are satisfied with how clean you are throwing, then there are different ways to go about increasing distance for the sake of distance, not necessarily for golfing purposes. But you can still learn a lot about how discs fly. That flex shot for distance can be accomplished in different ways, and it is a lot of fun to try them out. Here is an old article that talks about distance lines: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ncelines.shtml
Old 08-05-2020, 07:48 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 262 Times in 158 Posts

I suck at forehands but there are a couple of videos on YouTube from Eagle McMahon and Jeremy Kolling where they explain what they do and why. Might be worth a watch for a forehand dominant player.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:54 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
The alternative is working on a various things that will increase efficiency and turn the velocity/power you have into "cleaner" power to transfer into the disc. The biggest breakthroughs in my opinion are when throwing starts to feel effortless and you either match or exceed your current distance with less perceived effort. Video will be helpful to spot specific things to work on, but if you head down to the Form Analysis section there are a ton of drills and info breaking down various aspects of throwing both backhand and forehand.

Your pitching background will be an asset as there is a lot of carryover. Throwing is throwing, after all, and whether it is a ball or a disc, spin is spin.

The discs you mentioned earlier are mostly overstable to very overstable, except the TD and Shryke. I'd work with getting the understable discs to fly smoothly. If you can get some slower discs, discs as slow as putters, to fly relatively smooth and stable, then you know your throw is cleaner. If they are fluttering and diving then you know your throw you have work to do. Something like a Firebird won't give you as much feedback as it will just eat up power indiscriminately. Often people who work on throwing a putter forehand find that it helps clean up their form immensely and that will transfer over to other discs. When I learned to throw a beat Aviar forehand it improved my throwing.

Also a focus on spin is something I find important, and you'll hear that from a lot of pros teaching forehand. There needs to be enough spin relative to the velocity in order to keep the disc flying smoothly. If you have big power behind a throw but not enough spin, you won't get good results. Grip and wrist action are key to getting enough spin. Again, check out videos/discussion in the Form Analysis, or go on youtube and check out guys like Scott Stokely, Nate Sexton, Paul Ulibarri has a good video on getting spin on the sidearm.

There is a lot info to sift through, and you'll find that while some things people say may conflict, they generally agree on the most important things.

To sum up:

Video/Form Analysis
Spin
Work with understable/neutral discs to get more feedback
Awesome. Thanks for all of the info. I have a MD2 and a Wombat3 I'll start working on then. I can currently throw a TL with no issue, so I'll move to the midranges. Should I be looking to throw these hard as well? Obviously, removing the wobble at low speeds is much easier, but I assume I need to work up to at least an 80-90 percent throw with them?

EDIT: Another big question I have. When I go for height, I throw nose up. Every time without fail this happens. Is there some sort of trick I'm missing to give the disc height but prevent it from stalling out?

Last edited by HammerBro34; 08-05-2020 at 10:59 AM.