Old 08-05-2020, 02:41 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 643 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
I still struggle with distance on uphill holes, but doesn't everyone!
I had meant to speak to this. If the tee (or whatever lie you are throwing from) is sloped uphill, then orienting your walkup/runup along or across the hill instead of directly up the hill can help.

Sidewinder22 shows an example in the elephant walk drill: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136487

Paul McBeth has also stated this approach in videos; I don't remember the specific ones but there are videos where he is playing a practice round and gives a lot of tips in various situations.

Of course if the tee is flat then it is another matter; basically you choose a distance line depending on the disc choice, conditions, the shape of the hole, etc. Another scenario where working on and being familiar with line shaping with different discs will help.

But yes, dealing with elevation changes is a challenge, though figuring it out is part of the fun.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by SaROCaM; 08-05-2020 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:15 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
I had meant to speak to this. If the tee (or whatever lie you are throwing from) is sloped uphill, then orienting your walkup/runup along or across the hill instead of directly up the hill can help.

Sidewinder22 shows an example in the elephant walk drill: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136487

Paul McBeth has also stated this approach in videos; I don't remember the specific ones but there are videos where he is playing a practice round and gives a lot of tips in various situations.

Of course if the tee is flat then it is another matter; basically you choose a distance line depending on the disc choice, conditions, the shape of the hole, etc. Another scenario where working on and being familiar with line shaping with different discs will help.

But yes, dealing with elevation changes is a challenge, though figuring it out is part of the fun.
There is one hole I play where the tee pad is sloped uphill and the basket is only like 246 and it takes everything I got to get it there and it only increases in elevation maybe 12 feet
Old 08-05-2020, 05:58 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 262 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
There is one hole I play where the tee pad is sloped uphill and the basket is only like 246 and it takes everything I got to get it there and it only increases in elevation maybe 12 feet

Ugh. I play a similar hole.

The pad slopes upward and the basket is about 230’ but probably twenty to twenty five feet uphill.

Not only does the uphill tee pad steal my thunder but it also kind of throws off my timing. It’s one of the few holes that short that I throw a driver on.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Ugh. I play a similar hole.

The pad slopes upward and the basket is about 230’ but probably twenty to twenty five feet uphill.

Not only does the uphill tee pad steal my thunder but it also kind of throws off my timing. It’s one of the few holes that short that I throw a driver on.
It took me a while to finally get it up there. I think it has to do with the uphill run on the pad. I use a speed 7 driver to get my disc up there. And it barely gets there. That tee pad is just brutal. If the pad was level it would be a lot easier. I play on another course that has brutal 275-425 holes all the way up the side of this ravine/ mountain side but it has level tees and I can throw pretty good on them.