Old 10-23-2019, 05:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 584 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
And yet it's never the 1000+ rated players (the ones who actually throw far and consistently enough to actually gauge consistency) that are complaining.
Simon and Eagle both have First Run C-Line PDs in their bag and probably know where to find more if they need them. Not much to complain about.

I personally like the variation from run to run. Variety is a good thing and is part of what makes the Pd a great driver. I do miss the P-lines though.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,450 Times in 746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphoric View Post
I threw/throw both P-Lines and the under stable S-Lines. I bought 10 of the p-lines cause I heard they were going OOP. I assumed the S-Lines would stay consistent, never have I been so wrong.

I picked up PD's relatively late. Others picked them up earlier (1st, 2nd, 3d run). The flights are so different and so many people throw them that the if DM isn't make that type of PD, there is always going to be someone who isn't pleased with the flight and want "the other" PD. Those people who aren't pleased with the current run are often vocal about it.

The issue isn't people, it's consistency (or inconsistency) within the mold.
Complaint

Quote:
If PD's (or any other mold) were consistent there wouldn't be a divide in the people who use them.
Complaint

Quote:
I'm not complaining,

I'm stating that if the mold were consistent then people wouldn't expect them to be more or less stable.
Can you tell me what inconsistencies you're seeing in the mold and at what distances? I've bagged the mold for over a decade at this point, and I'm really interested in this. I'm also interested in these "understable" S-Lines. You must be throwing non-ID 450'+ or torquing the living daylights out of them.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-23-2019, 06:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 960 Times in 526 Posts

I bag 3 PDs, all of them pre-embossed and I have plenty of backups ranging in stability from slightly US to mega beef. The first embossed run was ridiculously OS and a failed run, no matter what the Discmaniac fanboys have to say. The Lone Howl I have is not excessively OS, I just like the pre-embossed better.

I'm committed to the mold, used bins will probably keep me supplied for a long time. Dude that runs a shop I frequent didn't order any of the new freak stamps. He says he's tired of the puke colors on all the swirlys.

Discmania can do better, unless their move to DD pissed Innova off enough to put them at the end of the queue for all the people they run discs for.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 338 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Can you tell me what inconsistencies you're seeing in the mold and at what distances? I've bagged the mold for over a decade at this point, and I'm really interested in this. I'm also interested in these "understable" S-Lines. You must be throwing non-ID 450'+ or torquing the living daylights out of them.
No need to get defensive, everybody knows that there is variation from run to run. The mold is over 10 years old, there is bound to be a few wild swings in stability. The original shield stamp S-Lines were well-documented to have high speed turn.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,450 Times in 746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
No need to get defensive, everybody knows that there is variation from run to run. The mold is over 10 years old, there is bound to be a few wild swings in stability. The original shield stamp S-Lines were well-documented to have high speed turn.
Not getting defensive. Those are legitimate questions. The only runs I've seen documented as having high speed turn are the 4th run C-Lines. Shield stamps flew more like 7-8/10 FRs out of the box. At least that's from my personal experience throwing several of both runs of them. I'm sure the turn came in once you break 400', but I don't buy a lot of people claiming they were breaking such a distance back then. They were a great way to replace a season FR that took months to get there.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts

The “fluke flippy” s lines are shaped like 4th run c lines but feel like really cheap and soft star plastic. To me they felt like pro with just a hair of star blended in.

I’ve not seen any stock from that run new in a while though, at this point I’d guess it’s 6-7 years old?

My honest take is most pd’s are 90% overlap. Yeah you might get some slight variation, but for the most part they all do the same thing. I think a lot of it depends on what you’re using them for too.

And to be fair discs tend to cycle from beefy to not so beefy. 11x firebirds were beefy, then the 12xs weren’t so much, then came the FAF runs, then those went away. Same with teebirds, early 11xs were beef, then cane the opaque 11x and 12x that everybody hated, now people complain about how beefy fresh teebirds are. Destroyers do the same thing...

I get people wanting consistency but if you have access to plastic to fondle it’s pretty easy to find exactly what you’re looking for.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-23-2019, 07:06 PM

Courses Played: 22
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Complaint

Complaint

I feel like you're getting a bit salty and I'm not trying to be combative.

Those aren't complaints that's just how it is. If the mold was consistent there wouldn't be discussion about the flight differences between the runs. I think this is backed up by the fact that Simon/Eagle throw 2nd (1st?) run PD's because they like that variation of PD. I think Eagle has held on to one PD for 2 or three bags now because he likes that specific run/disc so much.

I'm not speaking for the majority or minority of players because I can't. I'm not Simon or Eagle or 1000 rated. I don't throw 500 ft. I use them for distances between 350 and 380 feet with pretty good form. I can't throw the newer runs that far because they're too over stable for my arm speed.

The 3 P-Line and 4 S-Line PD's I have are from 2017.
I bought 10 more P-Line PD's in February of this year and they're a little more stable but still have some turn.
I bought the newer run S-lines a couple months ago (August maybe) and they're super over stable.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Protip: use a fresh pd as your tomahawk disc and thank me later.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 447 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Protip: use a fresh pd as your tomahawk disc and thank me later.
Yeah their really good for it. Not just to beat them in either, they are very versatile OH discs. If only they came in 150 class still.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Yeah their really good for it. Not just to beat them in either, they are very versatile OH discs. If only they came in 150 class still.
Yeah it’s weird, I’ve went through spells where I’ve had 3-4 firebirds bagged and no pds and vice versa. I’ve just come to live with the fact that I need both. Firebird’s blunter nose feels better forehand but I prefer the pd for overhand shots. And probably the one shot I’ll use a pd religiously for...compromised footing from a stand still, give a pd some anny and flex it to wherever it needs to go.