Old 10-27-2019, 12:46 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 791 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
This sentence is the key to the whole thing. Throw the slowest disc that will reach the distance you need. I learned this the hard way. I'd try to take too much off of fast drivers for shorter throws when I should have just grabbed a Teebird or something. Trying to feather a Boss 350' is way harder than taking a full rip with a Teebird.

Any good disc golfer should know how to adequately throw discs of any speed..... and also know what situations to throw those discs in.
I agree with the bold 100%. Some select types of male players I see out there think they have to be like the pro players and not throw anything that is not a putter or 4 speed putter shape midrange like a OS Rat or Shark on 90% of holes that are 300 feet and under, or that being able to throw a putter up to 400 feet or they are not a true player. They see in videos better Pro players being able to throw discs 400 feet or more on wide open throws/holes and on disc golf course lines 300 feet roughly. They do not understand the dedication to practice some of these Pro players have for the game or how many tournaments these pro players play to get that good with just a putter. The amateur often forgets about wind when even by a pro player a faster 5 speed or non putter shaped midrange disc is used in that same spot a putter or putter shaped 4 speed midrange is used.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Casey 1988; 10-27-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:20 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 108 Times in 75 Posts

I'm set on 7 speeds with a 10 speed DX beast. The trouble with newer players is they have to get the high speed discs. I was one of them. Throwing Bosses and Wraiths around when new was trouble for me haha.

7 is the magic number.

See Video for proof.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2di69FmhE
Old 10-27-2019, 09:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 87 Times in 58 Posts

What has been said for years by Scott Stokeley is to throw the slowest speed disc you can to eliminate the greatest possibility of error. ie/ A putter vs a PD2 for upshot. Simple but it works extremely well.

Personally, when I was playing more (I've had to take some time off), I was throwing my Instincts nearly 450'. On an open course, I was only throwing my OS shrykes on 3-4 holes. You just don't need it. Never use your disc speed as a crutch--work on your form. As the OP has found, you CAN get nearly the same D from a speed 7 that you can as a 13.

Any more, accuracy is where the game is headed. Think placement golf. In this type of golf, D is not necessary.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-27-2019, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 98 Times in 56 Posts

Simply put, high speed discs add a risk factor to your shot. They outperforme slower discs at many things, but often at a lower success rate.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:10 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 89 Times in 59 Posts

It's fun to go fast

Niced: (1)
Old 10-28-2019, 07:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 600 Times in 440 Posts

For me it always seems like, when I'm doing field work you think to yourself "Why do I have all these discs? I can make anything work and I can get similar distance with slower drivers" But I feel it all comes down to the conditions and the ceiling. In an open field So many discs land in similar spots, but with wind direction and intensity as well as how high or low a ceiling you have it makes me change the speed of a disc (and stability) Anyway to actually answer your questions

How much more distance do you get with your max distance drivers vs control drivers?
375-450 for max D discs typically -> 275-350 for control drivers

How much more accurate are you with your control drivers?
It's more the line that you hit. Accuracy, I can be pretty darn accurate at distance, but its the shape and the line needed to take to get there. Open field, I feel I'm almost as accurate with either, but in the course setting, I am more comfortable with a smaller rim disc, and Speed 8-10 discs have great control and distance ability. I recently have been liking the Streamline Lift and the Millenium OrionLF for a lot of those duties. as well as a Volt or Patriot

What are the benefits/drawbacks to completely ditching the high speed stuff in favor of slightly more lower speed stuff?

you can get more consistency with less discs but there are times where 'distance' isn't the only reason for a wider rim disc.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-28-2019, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,207 Times in 563 Posts

They only need to go to 11.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 536 Times in 343 Posts

Let's not forget two things that fast discs are good at - skipping/lateral movement and to a lesser degree, cutting through wind.

One slot in my bag I've had a hard time eliminating is what I call my nasty forehand disc - something fast, glidey and stable for technical flex shots and skips. The specific mold for this one doesn't matter too much, but something faster than a Wraith seems to be the ticket.

Other than that though, this time of year I have traditionally shelved anything faster than an escape.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 600 Times in 440 Posts

One thing I wanted to add - I use a DELIRIUM which is a speed 14.5---yes, 14 .5 and it is that fast. I have found its very useful in shots where I maybe used to use a Thunderbird or something like that. If I need to get a straight shot that then fades sharply around a tree or an obstable I have used this and throw it at about 80% vs a 95% with a Thunderbird/Anax type disc. It will go very fast straight then will start that low speed fade nicely right around the tree (since its SO fast it gets to that point quicker so the fade arch plays out better) it moves quick with a forward moving but sharp hyzer.

So as I said before the DISTANCE of a shot isn't the only factor in deciding the SPEED of a disc. Its the shape, the conditions, and always, the ceiling. If I have a tunnel shot that's only 100 ft but I have NO ceiling, I'll bump up to a mid. Similarly, if I have an upshot that is 200 ft, but open and low wind, I will throw a putter. A lot depends. But.........yea

Niced: (2)

Old 10-29-2019, 02:31 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 77 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
They only need to go to 11.
Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.