Old 10-31-2019, 02:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 992 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
So you think that there are less highly rated players because of pro/am purgatory? This as well doesnt make sense. There are not more highly rated people because not everybody is great at disc golf. Ratings directly correlate to how good you are at disc golf, not how much money someone better then you "takes away from you"
It's very hard for local pros to get over 1000 rated due to the field typically not having enough higher rated players. In the DFW area we have quite a few 970+ rated players that could give players much higher rated a run for their money.

!#$%^ sorry.. I should have realized and put all of my replies in 1 message.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by DiscFifty; 10-31-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:38 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
It's very hard for local pros to get over 1000 rated due to the field typically not having enough higher rated players. In the DFW area we have quite a few 970+ rated players that could give players much higher rated a run for their money.

!#$%^ sorry.. I should have realized and put all of my replies in 1 message.
Youre good, this fits with what some of us believe in that if any of us were to go on tour then our rating would go up just from playing in events with more highly rated players.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,547 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
My wording of "refuse" to play was wrong. I should have said "prefer to play". And while I certainly respect anyone's opinion that I am wrong, I've seen too many tournaments where there will be a few 940,950 rated guys playing against a field of much lower rated players. While I would hope winning more plastic is not their main motivation, but if it's just the hunt for more ego wins, I would hope that is not the case either. And if it's truly about playing competitive disc golf why wouldn't they play in advanced? Hey.. if you think beating a bunch of low rated old guys (or easily coming in 1st-5th) is a fun day of paid pdga disc golf, more power to you. While I personally have beaten much higher rated old guys several times, if I ever get past 935 I am moving straight to advanced regardless of my age. I see no personal satisfaction playing in a division where I am in the minority having an advanced rating and the majority is rec or less.
Why not ask the weaker MA40/50s, why they don't go play Rec? Why are the better players responsible for the inequality?

I know many of the group of the good MA40/50s that inspired this particularly thread drift. It's a sizeable group who enjoy playing with each other, and love the stiff competition they provide. They're not doing it for profit. They're not individually dominating their division (which I would find boring). They're where they belong, and they like it.

So this group of 930-950 rated old guys like battling each other every weekend. They've pretty much plateaued; they're not moving to Advanced because they're not going to climb that ladder any further (plus, it's annoying). They're not paying extra to play pro masters. They're doing just fine, where they are. The 880-rated old guys can play in the same group, or can play in a ratings division.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 992 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
They're not paying extra to play pro masters. They're doing just fine, where they are.
I don't know where you play, but around here age protected is usually the same price as the pro age protected. Thank you for the comments, but overall...we agree to disagree.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,839 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Why not ask the weaker MA40/50s, why they don't go play Rec? Why are the better players responsible for the inequality?
This is it right here. Players have as many opportunities to move down or over to find like-skilled players as they do to move up or over. If you're over-matched in a division, the solution isn't necessarily that your betters should change divisions. Perhaps it's that you should change divisions.

A wise player once said to me in explaining why he played Masters despite being capable of competing in Open that he earned the right to play Masters simply by living for 40+ years. Seems that sentiment should apply whether you're 820 rated or 930 rated or 1040 rated.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,547 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
I don't know where you play, but around here age protected is usually the same price as the pro age protected. Thank you for the comments, but overall...we agree to disagree.
Around here, pro divisions cost more. (Pro PDGA membership costs a little more, too).

Pro age-protected divisions tend to be small; just a couple of payers, maybe a handful. Am age-protected divisions tend to be larger; 10-15 players. (Sure, if this half-dozen people moved at once, it would remedy that, a bit).

I've heard more than one person complain that when he oved from MA40 to MP40, the atmosphere wasn't the same.

So as it is, the competition for these guys is playing other good players, who they're friends with and of equal skills,, and seeing who can beat whom on a given weekend. Ten years ago I was part of that; a decade of aging (61) and decline (854) means I can't anymore, but I know them and what they're doing. These are the specific guys that were commented about, in the MA40/50 rant.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 230
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
This I don't understand. Looking at it as 'losing' the money sounds pretty depressing. I think of it as money spent as a privilege to play in a tournament as opposed to lost gambling or something.
Losing was probably the wrong word. Lets say the average disc golfer has $500 of disposable income. With no chance of cashing because out of town ringers come in, they can play a maximum of 10, $50 tournaments and then they are done for the year. If the ringers don't come to town and the local player can rattle off $200 worth of cashes, they can play an additional 4 tournaments each year. Multiply this by 5 or so local players, you are really affecting your entries at the end of the year.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 230
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
So tiny didnt even see it. Rosier?
Old 10-31-2019, 05:06 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 493 Times in 237 Posts

be better

Old 10-31-2019, 05:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,738 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:

I know many of the group of the good MA40/50s that inspired this particularly thread drift. It's a sizeable group who enjoy playing with each other, and love the stiff competition they provide. They're not doing it for profit. They're not individually dominating their division (which I would find boring). They're where they belong, and they like it.

So this group of 930-950 rated old guys like battling each other every weekend. They've pretty much plateaued; they're not moving to Advanced because they're not going to climb that ladder any further (plus, it's annoying). They're not paying extra to play pro masters. They're doing just fine, where they are. The 880-rated old guys can play in the same group, or can play in a ratings division.
Same around this area. They are a handful of low to mid 900 players, that compete against one another many tournaments. There is the next group of mid to high 800 players that are pretty competitive, with one another, as well. Occasionally, one of the 800 guys pops a big round and scares the upper tier. Occasionally one of the 900 poops the bed and gets razzed by the 800 guys. A great group, they really enjoy one another.

Oddly, their motivation is exactly the same as Fifty's. Seems disingenuous to begrudge better players the right to play in the age protected ADVANCED divisions, for the exact same reasons he enjoys doing so.