Old 11-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Par Member

Niced 95 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
I’d give my middle nut to have Nate Doss or Simon show up to our club championship and kick everyone’s a$$es.
You can have Doss and Simon - I will take Lloyd Weema over either. The prestige an event would gain from that name is priceless.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 77 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmo65 View Post
Losing was probably the wrong word. Lets say the average disc golfer has $500 of disposable income. With no chance of cashing because out of town ringers come in, they can play a maximum of 10, $50 tournaments and then they are done for the year. If the ringers don't come to town and the local player can rattle off $200 worth of cashes, they can play an additional 4 tournaments each year. Multiply this by 5 or so local players, you are really affecting your entries at the end of the year.
I don't compartmentalize my money like that but if I did, it would make a little more sense.

I come at it from the point of view of someone that has no chance of cashing regardless of who I'm playing against so playing for the fun it is my only option.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 212
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

I always thought the point of running a tournament was to attract the best players regardless of the tier of the event.

When I was 970+, I cherished the chance to play against the top pros around the country, and I've been lucky to play with just about every top-player that was around those years. Why would you not want the top pros coming to your event??

Old 11-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 212
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

I think what eventually will happen is that there will no longer be anyone playing pro who is under 970 in the next 10 years. There will be more and more 1000+ rated players across the country that these low-level pros will probably quit or the advanced field will start being 950-975 rated players as the norm.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,548 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deitzel View Post
I think what eventually will happen is that there will no longer be anyone playing pro who is under 970 in the next 10 years. There will be more and more 1000+ rated players across the country that these low-level pros will probably quit or the advanced field will start being 950-975 rated players as the norm.
It's an interesting thought---that the growing pool of players will mean more properly-rated players in all divisions, chasing off those who "play up" and then complain.

But with a limited number of slots in any given event, they may still be filled with a range of players, including pros < 970 and Advanced < 935.

It seems to me, around here, that there has been slow movement towards divisions with properly-rated players over the years, and that trend will probably continue.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 77 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deitzel View Post
I always thought the point of running a tournament was to attract the best players regardless of the tier of the event.
This is exactly it. The tournament with the better players is a better tournament.

I have to retract my earlier understanding of Josh. The coffee wasn't working yet. There still seems to be a sense of entitlement and some butthurt over not winning. If said player with the $500 budget doesn't win the $200 to go play in more tournaments, the better player gets that $200 and goes and spends it more tournaments. And that is what it is all about.

Maybe you should host a 'local only' tournament and see how well it goes. After loosing that one, maybe reduce it to 'my block only'

Old 11-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 157 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's an interesting thought---that the growing pool of players will mean more properly-rated players in all divisions, chasing off those who "play up" and then complain.

But with a limited number of slots in any given event, they may still be filled with a range of players, including pros < 970 and Advanced < 935.

It seems to me, around here, that there has been slow movement towards divisions with properly-rated players over the years, and that trend will probably continue.
Here in the UK, a lot of our tournaments don't even offer MA1. Our best players are around the 980 mark, so that means all the MA1 standard,940+, players want to play open.

By not having an MA1 division it means we don't create a vacuum, sucking all the INT players up into ADV, and REC up into INT, etc etc. It seems to work quite well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2019, 10:29 PM

Niced 21 Times in 9 Posts

I love this thread

Niced: (2)
Old 11-01-2019, 11:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 256 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I think you need some ginkoba memory formula...
I swore I remember seeing "advanced," so I went back and looked for myself. My bad, it was from a different person:

>>lol.. here in the DFW area we have a group of 940+ rated ma50 players that refuse to play in the advanced division.<<

Old 11-01-2019, 11:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Jim View Post
I love this thread
All other opinions aside, I’m still curious about your personal opinion on the ethical part.
I would like to here you elaborate on the ethics. Especially since some years ago before when the idea of full time touring disc golfer was taking off those guys were often the local pros... some of them still are in some areas.