Old 11-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 146 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ormal View Post
I've got a collection of Firebirds I'm actually trying to fit into this role. So far my 2017 Sexton Tour Bird is the closest. My FAF old Star is the most OS and my pearly champ Bird is somewhere in the middle. Doubt it will beat into straight though. Next on my list is a DX Bird specifically for bashing into trees :P
In my bag currently I have an old ce-like pro firebird from well befofe I started playing that is kinda overstable, a star flight number par # that is straight with little fade, and a weird old pearly champion one I found at play it again that will actually turn a decent bit. I got tons of the stiff FAF star ones that are stupid beef that I will hardly ever use. I like broken in firebirds. They are really good straight flying discs once broken in a fair bit. haha.

From what I have see the dx ones get silly flippy fast. I havent thrown one tho.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 452 Times in 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Will these ever get to the point of having the same distance potential as Valks and/or Sidewinders? I am throwing Sidewinders so far I have been thinking of attempting to use speed 9 as my max as an experiment. My current Thunderbirds are far too stable for max distance throws.
Once they beat in a little my star and gstar thundies started beating my Valk for max d. But my backhand sucks and I get my max distance forehand.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:49 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 103 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
Anyone else broken in some firebirds to fly like thunderbirds? I havent thrown thunderbirds since the proto stars because I have soo many star firebirds that I will never lose them all. My star firebirds are broken in straight to cover all my thunderbird like shots. Am I the only one?
Not Firebirds, but Star FLs get to that Thunderbird area. I used to have a beat to crap champ Firebird that was run over by a mower (it was still surprisingly in good shape just split down the parting line which a I melted back together) which flew like a beat Champ Teebird. It didn’t have the legs to compare it to a Thunderbird. It was my favorite disc. Sadly, I threw it into a grove of junipers and it’s probably still there to this day.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:14 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

A have a new champion thunderbird 169g that I would swear is a mislabeled firebird....no glide very overstable dump. This is my first thunderbird and since it is nothing like my OLFs (straight with glide but fade), I am wondering if I should try pro or gstar plastic. Or something else? Or just stick with my OLFs? Stable 9 speeds seem to be my arm speed limit right now. Not sure if PDs will be any better?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Par Member

Niced 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todvan View Post
A have a new champion thunderbird 169g that I would swear is a mislabeled firebird....no glide very overstable dump. This is my first thunderbird and since it is nothing like my OLFs (straight with glide but fade), I am wondering if I should try pro or gstar plastic. Or something else? Or just stick with my OLFs? Stable 9 speeds seem to be my arm speed limit right now. Not sure if PDs will be any better?
Star, Gstar, or Pro will all work well for your needs. The Pro however will beat in rather quickly and get quite flippy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2019, 07:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 706 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:
You must have gotten a bad one. Thunderbirds are generally somewhat overstable, but they glide well and don't have a really dumpy fade.

The champion Thunderbird in my bag will go dead straight before a mellow fade out to 400'. What really sold me on the mold in the first place was great glide, no high speed turn, and mellow fade. Basically like a longer, glidier Teebird.

G* Thunderbirds are only OK for me. You'll notice high speed turn with them. They're longer than champions, but can be dicey in the wind.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 217 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
I picked up a newer run 171 Champ and it too, is Firebird overstable. The rest of my champs are straight to fade but this thing is BEEFY. It’s very domey. Is yours?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Par Member

Niced 38 Times in 26 Posts

I've got a max weight champ that is definitely beefy, its equivalent to my 4 year old Champ firebird. I picked mine up in June maybe?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2019, 09:58 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke566 View Post
I picked up a newer run 171 Champ and it too, is Firebird overstable. The rest of my champs are straight to fade but this thing is BEEFY. It’s very domey. Is yours?
Yes, domed. Bought in August. I got champion because I read that star was more over stable to start....should I look for another champion that is less domey?

Old 12-04-2019, 12:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 228 Times in 107 Posts

I got one of those domey champ thunderbirds as well. It was the second most overstable disc I have ever owned. I couldn't get mine over 300' and I have thrown my used star thundy 400'