Old 11-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 154
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 635 Times in 265 Posts

I know, I've always heard good things about Pender Island. I hope to make it out there soon.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-13-2019, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 786 Times in 546 Posts

So the end of an era for now. Not the first time Don Cherry has been fired but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last time. He is getting a little more loopy as he gets older. He referred to new Canadians as "you people" that come to our country for the milk and honey but you can't be bothered to buy a poppy for remembrance day. I've noticed a decline in poppy wearing, I always give em money but since I'm a "active" tradesman I get poked by it so I leave it on my dash and pin it on when I'm out in public but not at work.

Opinions?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 39 Times in 33 Posts

It's a comment I would expect from a septuagenarian
like I would expect from my father-in-law (or more correctly his family back in Saskatchewan)

that said, everybody is overreacting

I don't wear a poppy
haven't really for years

I get where the money is supposed to go. But I rarely have actual physical cash on me to purchase one. I haven't really seen anywhere to purchase one.

My lack of wearing is not out of disrespect. I'm named after my great-uncle who died in WWII
Both my grandfathers fought.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 91
Niced 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
It's a comment I would expect from a septuagenarian
like I would expect from my father-in-law (or more correctly his family back in Saskatchewan)

that said, everybody is overreacting

I don't wear a poppy
haven't really for years

I get where the money is supposed to go. But I rarely have actual physical cash on me to purchase one. I haven't really seen anywhere to purchase one.

My lack of wearing is not out of disrespect. I'm named after my great-uncle who died in WWII
Both my grandfathers fought.
You dont need to justify not wearing a poppy, and trying to justify it comes across badly: its fine if you dont I guess but making excuses when theyre sold everywhere and there are ATMs everywhere is pretty lame.

Having a family history of service as justification for not bothering to get a poppy is also worse, not better FYI. If the people who have a connection to what the poppy represents ignore it or dont have time for it, what does that mean for the people with no connection and no personal reason to make it something meaningful one day of the year?

You do you, whatever, Im not judging you wearing or not wearing, but just admit you cant be bothered, dont make excuses.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 39 Times in 33 Posts

was going to respond but there really is no point
Old 11-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 154
Niced 635 Times in 265 Posts

It's quite possible those 'new Canadians' have no idea the significance of the poppy. Heck, I lived in a US/Canadian border town for probably 3 years before I did. And, I've been a hockey fan for 40 years. No one ever explained it to me until I was in Victoria one night and there was a game on television and someone told me about it.

BTW, when I lived in Denver I used to go to Colorado Rockies games when Cherry was the head coach there. The team sucked, but Rockey Hockey was fun times. $6 bucks for the nosebleed seats, and after the game we would go to a nearby bar and half the team would be in there, lol.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah man I support the poppy, I miss the window suction cup ones.. I really feel guilty not wearing one but I get stabbed every year that I do. Especially with suspenders on the work pouch.

Thing is if we don't support it, it disappears along with the memory. As our aging veterans disappear so does the connection to what it represents and the disconnect is what we are trying to avoid. Both my grandfather's were veterans and I was in Scouts so every Remembrance day we attended the ceremonies as participants.

Lest We Forget.

On a happier note but related my buddies dad was in the same air force regiment as Relic from Beachcombers. He used to go to all their reunions but they're all gone now. His dad got shot down over Germany was the sole survivor and a nice family took him in and hid him until the war was over.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:12 PM
* Ace Member *

So I don't feel like starting another thread but just wanted to share.. You know the "special instructions" box you can fill out well I guess a few years ago near St Patty's day I thought it would be funny to request that they wear a leprechaun hat and do a jig while packing my order.. Totally forgot about it. Ordered a tool bag which I suppose I could put discs in and got a note taped to it.

Mr Mike,

No leprechaun hats were readily available so I just did the jig. Everyone saw me do it and I refuse to tell them why I was dancing in front of a cardboard box. Enjoy your stuff.

The mailguy
Old 11-23-2019, 07:44 PM

Years Playing: 40.5
Courses Played: 108
Niced 41 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Relic from Beachcombers.
I live near Toronto and remember that show. I bet I'm only American on here who remembers him lol. Is he still alive? We're talking 30+ years ago!

Old 12-04-2019, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

https://www.joinit.org/o/ace-runners-disc-golf

So in an attempt to get more funding the. BCDSS is trying to register 1000 members and then they can apply for government money. Free to join here's the link. Help em out, takes seconds.