Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 982 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
I don't want to open the can or worms about women's golf, but I think covering only FPO will hurt their subscriber rate and views.
I love watching FPO, but I....agree. It seems like there's always a media house or 2 that scales back, eventually fades out of the scene, etc, every few years. There's plenty of events for the hobbyist channels to cover, but once you get serious and attempt to make a living doing this stuff, there's just not enough (major events, etc) content to go around.

It's interesting to see the trends of the media houses, subscription rate, views, etc. You can easily tell who is trending down, up, etc....

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user...lcoastdiscgolf
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jomezproductions

(GK Productions)
https://socialblade.com/youtube/chan...Ke1TFdYzBOGnpw
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 271 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I love watching FPO, but I....agree. It seems like there's always a media house or 2 that scales back, eventually fades out of the scene, etc, every few years. There's plenty of events for the hobbyist channels to cover, but once you get serious and attempt to make a living doing this stuff, there's just not enough (major events, etc) content to go around.

It's interesting to see the trends of the media houses, subscription rate, views, etc. You can easily tell who is trending down, up, etc....

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user...lcoastdiscgolf
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jomezproductions

(GK Productions)
https://socialblade.com/youtube/chan...Ke1TFdYzBOGnpw
Gatekeeper Media

Niced: (1)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:20 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 790 Times in 670 Posts

Having the Pro Tour more consistent with the coverage be it live or the post production is only going to help the sport and the subscribers. Knowing that Jomez is lead card, somebody else is next for MPO and FPO is CCDG will help to know where to go to see what. The sport needs this as it is not big enough that one can get away with coverage being all mixed up among the different production companies and/or TV channels, like other sports say NBA or NHL.

FPO for the Pro Tour was not very consistent due to lack of Production Companies wanting to cover it during parts of the season. Now having a major Disc Golf Production company doing the coverage for Post Production is only going to help the female side get more exposure especially since most viewers into the Pro Tour and National Tour are watching CCDG and Jomez. I know I am more then likely to watch the FPO lead card on the Pro Tour this next year simply being subscribed to both CCDG and Jomez on YouTube.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 327
Niced 286 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Gatekeeper or GK Productions is even upping CCDG, they have more replay stuff on the post production card they follow as well as better sound of the play.
GK has spotty post production. they frequently don't update the score graphics after a hole and lately they have been posting the pre-round scores at the end of the round when they no longer apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
Gatekeeper did some no-commentary videos late last year, for example at GMC. Just the sounds of nature, and the card's chatter. Frankly I enjoyed those a lot more, and would be completely fine with them using that approach all year.

time to fess up: they did that immediately after i made a post on the then-latest video saying that i frequently had to watch the channel on mute because of the commentary. i guess it struck a nerve. in hindsight, i could have been more constructive about it. sorry Gatekeeper guys!

Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,830 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
I'm not really a fan of this. If I were CCDG, I would have opted for the chase card or even 3rd card before FPO.

I don't want to open the can or worms about women's golf, but I think covering only FPO will hurt their subscriber rate and views. It's a personal preference, but I won't watch the FPO coverage - it just isn't entertaining to me.

Hopefully CCDG still gets lead-card coverage for BSF & PO...
It is important to remember that these announcements from the PDGA apply to the National Tour only. So just six events: Texas States, Glass Blown Open, Masters Cup, Beaver State Fling, Delaware Challenge, Music City Open. It is not relegating CCDG to only FPO coverage forever. I'm sure they'll be covering some MPO1 cards at other events.

Also, it's possible that CCDG didn't really have a choice of FPO or MPO. The PDGA may well have said "we want you to do FPO1 at these events" and that was the end of it.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,144 Times in 576 Posts

Jomez confirmed for all NT lead card coverage, as Johnny V had mentioned on a previous Smashboxx pod.

I think it's fine, but I'd like to see a little bit of transparency on how the crews were selected, now that we know who's going to be doing the work. I like all of the companies that are doing NT work for the PDGA this year, and as a consumer it doesn't matter much who got it, I'd be watching it anyway.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
It is important to remember that these announcements from the PDGA apply to the National Tour only. So just six events: Texas States, Glass Blown Open, Masters Cup, Beaver State Fling, Delaware Challenge, Music City Open. It is not relegating CCDG to only FPO coverage forever. I'm sure they'll be covering some MPO1 cards at other events.

Also, it's possible that CCDG didn't really have a choice of FPO or MPO. The PDGA may well have said "we want you to do FPO1 at these events" and that was the end of it.

Now I can see why in the underlined that could be the case. Is it possible that maybe National Tour is not happy to be using a bunch of other production companies for FPO or using a lesser brand rather then a better known entity for its Post Production like CCDG. PDGA People might see that the Pro Tour has one or two companies doing the Post Production in the previous years to the 2019 mess and how much more in views the Pro Tour gets for that.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:15 PM

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm guessing PDGA finally came to their senses and offered to pay CCDG to cover those events. Since CCDG can't monetize the product through simple views, and PDGA has the most to gain from having FPO consistently filmed, I'm hoping this is the case.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,144 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyzer24 View Post
I'm guessing PDGA finally came to their senses and offered to pay CCDG to cover those events. Since CCDG can't monetize the product through simple views, and PDGA has the most to gain from having FPO consistently filmed, I'm hoping this is the case.
Certainly a logical assumption. Same goes for MPO2.

Niced: (2)

Old 11-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Certainly a logical assumption. Same goes for MPO2.
Yep that is what I thought too.

Now Having the specific cards MPO, MPO chase and FPO on specific post production channels on Youtube with with the National Tour helps as you then get better viewers as you automatically know where to look to find the info. The Sport of Disc Golf is not big like NBA or NHL, even traditional ball golf where you can have the players with different Production companies/TV Stations on each tour stop and get away with it.

I reposed but modified this because I thought originally this was for both the National Tour and Pro Tour. That old post makes no sense in this thread as I said the Pro Tour for that old post.