#21  
Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 AM
R-Ogre's Avatar
R-Ogre R-Ogre is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 368
Niced 451 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Got most of a round in at Green Valley this evening before it got dark. Park golf, but still had a good time. Also holy crap how is that course still there? Non-golfers must get hit like once a week.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Future_Primitive's Avatar
Future_Primitive Future_Primitive is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,573
Niced 733 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Got most of a round in at Green Valley this evening before it got dark. Park golf, but still had a good time. Also holy crap how is that course still there? Non-golfers must get hit like once a week.
Yeah that course had me nervous due to how close it got to other park activities. Recall shanking a shot with a basketball court near the basket. Saw quite a few folks around there and kids running around, tried so hard to keep it low I basically threw it right into the ground to avoid hitting anyone.

Old Johnny Roberts (RIP) was like that as well, walking paths so close or even crossing fairways. Loved that course but I understand why it was changed drastically to the new, park friendly version. Maybe its a Denver thing? Quite a few courses really push the boundaries of disc golf safety and encroaching on other park goers. Expo, Interlocken, Green Valley, old Johnny, Arapahoe CC, etc...

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-08-2019, 12:39 PM
R-Ogre's Avatar
R-Ogre R-Ogre is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 368
Niced 451 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
Yeah that course had me nervous due to how close it got to other park activities. Recall shanking a shot with a basketball court near the basket. Saw quite a few folks around there and kids running around, tried so hard to keep it low I basically threw it right into the ground to avoid hitting anyone.

Old Johnny Roberts (RIP) was like that as well, walking paths so close or even crossing fairways. Loved that course but I understand why it was changed drastically to the new, park friendly version. Maybe its a Denver thing? Quite a few courses really push the boundaries of disc golf safety and encroaching on other park goers. Expo, Interlocken, Green Valley, old Johnny, Arapahoe CC, etc...
There’s at least one hole that literally has you shoot across a basketball court.


I think it’s just a suburbia thing. There’s only so much open space left once the developers get their grubby little hands on an area, and it’s hard to sell a stand-alone DG park over a multi-use playground/soccer/basketball park to the type of people who control HOAs and city councils. One thing that did surprise me was how sketch that area got after dark-driving in it seemed like a fairly nice neighborhood but there was definitely at least one drug deal going down in the parking lot when I left.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by R-Ogre; 11-08-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-08-2019, 06:03 PM
JuanA's Avatar
JuanA JuanA is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 350
Niced 256 Times in 151 Posts
Default

I saw the pictures in the media section on that course, and decided my occasional shanked shot couldn't afford the lawsuit.

The picture of the basket next to the playground really sealed the deal.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-09-2019, 01:08 AM
R-Ogre's Avatar
R-Ogre R-Ogre is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 368
Niced 451 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Ok, changed my flights a little. Getting up early tomorrow to hit prickly pines and then swing by flygreen on the way the the nature and science museum.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 PM
R-Ogre's Avatar
R-Ogre R-Ogre is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 368
Niced 451 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Prickly Pines is a stellar course. By far the best I played this trip. Then I stopped by flygreen which was an expensive little pit stop. Finally got a bit of time at the Nature and Science museum, saw the dinosaurs and got some souvenir gear for the munchkins. All in all good day!

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-09-2019, 10:59 PM
R-Ogre's Avatar
R-Ogre R-Ogre is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 368
Niced 451 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I didn't mention it because you said you were short on time, but Prickly Pines is a great woods course and just under an hour from DIA. Definitely NOT a Park course.
I just wanted to come back and give a shout out for this recommendation. Prickly was 100% worth the hour drive.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-11-2019, 11:54 AM
JuanA's Avatar
JuanA JuanA is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 350
Niced 256 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I just wanted to come back and give a shout out for this recommendation. Prickly was 100% worth the hour drive.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with how good it is especially since it's almost two hours for me to get there. My ex still plays a lot of rounds with me, and her only complaint was that we didn't play it twice.

I'll definitely be back.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #29  
Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 PM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 749
Niced 454 Times in 279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I saw the pictures in the media section on that course, and decided my occasional shanked shot couldn't afford the lawsuit.

The picture of the basket next to the playground really sealed the deal.
This reminds me of what I used to say after a shank in my ball golf days -- "please don't be an insurance claim"

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DC/VA/MD in November bsurg Disc Golf Courses 31 11-22-2014 08:59 AM
California november? KarlDaniel Tournaments & Leagues 9 05-13-2014 03:10 AM
November Blow-out agent_peebody The Marketplace 48 11-09-2010 07:43 PM
Best places to Visit in November roadtripstuff Vacations & Road Trips 24 07-12-2010 10:16 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.