Old 11-11-2019, 01:53 PM

Niced 17 Times in 9 Posts
Default Newbie Ex-Ultimate in UK

So, I used to play Ultimate (blah, blah, blah).

I once tried throwing a few DG discs about 13 years ago (specifically a DX Aviar - 164g, DX XD - 173g, Pro-D Magnet and Pro-D Cyclone). I knew nothing about X-steps or how to throw without a pivot.

Forgot about them until September this year when I came across the World Champs on Jomez Pro in my Youtube suggestions.

Inevitably I went and bought a DX 5-disc set.
- DX Aviar - 162g
- DX Roc3 - 176g
- DX Leopard - 163g
- DX Teebird - 170g
- DX Destroyer - 164g

I then watched A LOT of JomezPro and CCDG etc. I analysed pros driving form and started imitating. I looked through some drills but found them unconvincing as a training tool.

Turned up to a local course with temporary baskets and had a good time. Found I can throw my putters about 240' and at first nothing else would go any further. Nose-up issues apparently.

Then when I did some research Mako3's came up as good for ex-ultimate players. I bought two 175g Champion Mako3s along with a DiscCatcher basket so I could practice my putting (and play the course on my own).

After a little practice varying nose angles with various low speed discs those Mako3s have become a staple for me off the tee and I can get them laser-straight out to about 270'.

I've been doing a little field work, some proselytizing to work colleagues and some putting practice. I've developed a feeble spin putt that I hope will eventually become something like Paige Pearce's.

I've lost my Roc3 in the woods on hole 9 (unfortunately taking my 2 under round of 9 up to even), I liked the flight though I didn't much like the bead I can't see myself throwing a beaded disc forehand.

I've joined Disc Golf Strong and a couple of stuttering weeks in and I'm already feeling great benefit and much preferring my "training" (directed) over my previous "exercise" (aimless).

I'm already throwing my mids further than half the club throws their drivers and I'm being praised for a 'big arm' or possibly fast arm (I might be strong-arming it though I have fairly poor upper body strength).

When doing fieldwork I'm finding my putters and Mako3s are flying nice and straight but the Leopard and Destroyer are starting to become a throller. If I try and set it on a hyzer my TeeBird goes nice and straight though my throws of it are a little variable.

To keep giving myself something to work on and find something that will fly overstable I bought a Champion TeeBird 172g. This is a significant tick more overstable than my DX so I'll be working on throwing that. I find if I release it flat with one of my better throws it just about stays flat with a little fade at the end, but if I throw just as I do my DX TeeBird it's got a gentle but increasing turn left (RHBH) throughout the flight.

I threw the Destroyer today into a light headwind and I tried to put some hyzer on it to counter the turn I've been getting. It lofted a little (so I'm guessing I put it a touch nose up, or it's related to my hyzer technique) and it went through a flex flight and covered 87m (285' UDisc measurement).

I'm not yet focussing on gripping it to rip it. I'm happy with my grip shape but putting pressure in the right places at the right time and really punching with the elbow are future goals. For now I'm happy with having what feels to me like a clean x-step, smooth weight shift, a little core engagement and no rounding. Everything is feeling much smoother as I improve.

Onwards and upwards!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 795 Times in 674 Posts

Oh uh most Disc brands Ultimate discs are PDGA Legal for regular tournaments just a heads up. So if you want that do it also the Condor is a large disc with ROC shaped rim as is the Zephyr a large disc with a lid/catch disc shape.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Oh uh most Disc brands Ultimate discs are PDGA Legal for regular tournaments just a heads up. So if you want that do it also the Condor is a large disc with ROC shaped rim as is the Zephyr a large disc with a lid/catch disc shape.
Thanks Casey, on my first visit to the course I borrowed a Condor for a few holes and I did find it relatively easy to throw but I already find my Mako3's do what I expect and at greater speed and distance. I already find Ultrastars to be enormous and throwing them feels weird.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 61
Niced 257 Times in 152 Posts

Ultimate players gather in the field next to my lunch-time course. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not sure I could handle all the yelling.

Welcome from Colorado!

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
Ultimate players gather in the field next to my lunch-time course. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not sure I could handle all the yelling.

Welcome from Colorado!
there is definitely a different vibe out on the DG course.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Niced 683 Times in 452 Posts

Give a Comet (X or Z) a try. A Buzzz might also be good (I favor Z) especially if you like forehands.

I've never liked base plastics for anything other than putters. Discs like a Leopard get VERY flippy in DX, but in Pro have very serviceable turn without being too understable. I hear DX Teebirds can be awesome though.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
Thanks Casey, on my first visit to the course I borrowed a Condor for a few holes and I did find it relatively easy to throw but I already find my Mako3's do what I expect and at greater speed and distance. I already find Ultrastars to be enormous and throwing them feels weird.
There are a few other discs too, a Sonic or Supersonic, the premium lightweight versions from Innova made for Hero Discs is more like a fastback made into a disc golf disc size. A Discraft Rattler is a Ultrastar and Wham-O ultra disc/100 mold 175 gram but scaled down to disc golf size and missing the flight rings. Just to help with the selection of discs that are more catch disc like but more like Disc Golf sized discs. Last disc to try is a Lighting Upshot also similar to the Rattler.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 11-13-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
There are a few other discs too, a Sonic or Supersonic, the premium lightweight versions from Innova made for Hero Discs is more like a fastback made into a disc golf disc size. A Discraft Rattler is a Ultrastar and Wham-O ultra disc/100 mold 175 gram but scaled down to disc golf size and missing the flight rings. Just to help with the selection of discs that are more catch disc like but more like Disc Golf sized discs. Last disc to try is a Lighting Upshot also similar to the Rattler.
I've been asking around to borrow a bag of putters and I'm hoping Rattlers, P2s (another disc I've been recommended as feeling like an Ultrastar) and beaded Aviars are in that bag. I just want to quickly look through the options out there and get a feel for the variety of feel in putting with them. I do find it a little confusing that there are throwing putters and putting putters. Why not have two different categories for them? Putters, Shorts, Mids, Fairways and Distance.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
I've been asking around to borrow a bag of putters and I'm hoping Rattlers, P2s (another disc I've been recommended as feeling like an Ultrastar) and beaded Aviars are in that bag. I just want to quickly look through the options out there and get a feel for the variety of feel in putting with them. I do find it a little confusing that there are throwing putters and putting putters. Why not have two different categories for them? Putters, Shorts, Mids, Fairways and Distance.
Some companies do have OS approach putter that is just an approach putter not a true putter or they have a disc labeled approach disc being some more like slow slow midrange in shape. Pro players do not really need the neutral different mold of long putter they still use the OS approach putters. I also think Control driver 9-10 speed should be another type of driver and a midrange driver needs to be added as well. I know If I had a brand the approach disc and the midrange driver for sure would be added to the list as might be a control driver or at least moving 9 speed discs to the fairway category.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:36 AM

So putter, approach, mid, mid driver, fairway, control, distance? Starting to get to be a long list. I do think these might be more useful than speed ratings and help distinguish those discs with different flight characteristics that sit on border speed ratings.

Sorry what was your point about the pros? They use P&As rather than P&As and Putters? Or they used Putters rather than P&As and Putters?

I was looking at the Inbounds inFlight guide to get a better feel for the flight characteristics of discs I know, compared to discs people talk about. Obviously this is not going to be perfectly scientific (for one it doesn't account for the different effects of more spin vs more speed). Are they considered valuable by at least some DGers?

I spotted that the Classic Aviar is just dead straight. I haven't seen other putters with that same flight path and wondered whether: a) is this flight path true of the Classic Aviar, b) are there some putters with the same flight path that I'm missing, c) why isn't this the ideal putter, since fade obviously makes a putt less accurate.