Old 11-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 254 Times in 113 Posts

Yep, just looked it up. My round rating went down 24 points because of that error!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2019, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,829 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
What? This sounds like a great use for an old phone. I have used old phones as MP3 players and digital cameras, but never thought about using it as a "travel laptop". If you can hook an old phone up to internet, wouldn't that mean you could keep all the apps updated and install new ones? For example, is it possible to download the Udisc app onto an old phone and then keep score without any internet access? (not for PDGA live scoring, just for scoring.)
A smartphone without cellular service is just a regular old tablet device. As long as you can connect to wifi, it's just as functional as it ever was, apps included. I think the only drawback to using Udisc on a wifi-only device is that the course directory and GPS components (shot measuring, hole maps, etc) won't work perfectly if it's not connected.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:28 PM
Par Member

Niced 110 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
To what end?
A better quality of life for myself and the world around me.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,291 Times in 312 Posts

This thread is now about repurposing old smartphones into music players, tiny tablets, dashcams, camcorders, and game emulators. Go!
Old 11-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 23
Niced 269 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
I reckon I would need some examples. To what good use are you putting the time bought by your smartphone, or your kitchen appliances, or any other "convenience"?

Perfect example:
The less time i spend going to the office to check emails, mixing foods with a stick, or spending an entire day trimming my lawn, the more time I have to spend with my kids.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Niced 417 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Time-saving devices do not generally improve quality of life.
Painting with a broad brush don't you think?

For me, a smartphone is a tool that increases productivity. This comes in a number of ways, from receiving emails and documents during the day, to being able to sign and return just as easily. I'm able to check emails during meetings or at lunch, etc.

All of which allows me to "finish" my work day at a reasonable time, put the phone in the drawer, and spend the evening with my family. After the kids go to be, I can check emails that came in after hours and prep for a better tomorrow. This (can) make me a more organized employee that accomplishes tasks ahead of schedule and earns a raise or bonus. This provides a better standard of life my my family and I.

Smartphones also offer the ability to work remotely if my kids have a late start or early dismissal, I can accommodate that without putting our main source of income at risk. A smartphone can hold various soccer, dance, carpool schedules, so I don't need the paperwork in folders in this car or that one.

I have a camera, a notebook, and a source of music in my pocket, which also makes life more efficient and convenient.

I get that a majority of Americans make different choices with their phones. But the human is choosing to waste time and be inefficient despite the device's productivity tools...
Old 11-12-2019, 04:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 998 Times in 531 Posts

I am an advocate of not having a smartphone, even though I have one. I try to limit my data to prevent myself from using it too much, and I try to never use GPS unless I really, really need it.

Whoever made the point about people not having navigation abilities anymore was spot on.

Most people I play disc golf with can't navigate to a course 1 hr away they've played many times, without a GPS. People under 30 literally never learned how to pay attention to landmarks, or read a map, or remember what roads and highways are called.

I'd bet most people under 30 in Madison couldn't tell you which Interstate goes to Milwaukee without looking it up.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 59 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
Painting with a broad brush don't you think?

For me, a smartphone is a tool that increases productivity. This comes in a number of ways, from receiving emails and documents during the day, to being able to sign and return just as easily. I'm able to check emails during meetings or at lunch, etc.

All of which allows me to "finish" my work day at a reasonable time, put the phone in the drawer, and spend the evening with my family. After the kids go to be, I can check emails that came in after hours and prep for a better tomorrow. This (can) make me a more organized employee that accomplishes tasks ahead of schedule and earns a raise or bonus. This provides a better standard of life my my family and I.

Smartphones also offer the ability to work remotely if my kids have a late start or early dismissal, I can accommodate that without putting our main source of income at risk. A smartphone can hold various soccer, dance, carpool schedules, so I don't need the paperwork in folders in this car or that one.

I have a camera, a notebook, and a source of music in my pocket, which also makes life more efficient and convenient.

I get that a majority of Americans make different choices with their phones. But the human is choosing to waste time and be inefficient despite the device's productivity tools...
Productivity. What is being produced? By what standard is the produce judged? The productive and convenient life you describe is (with no intention to insult anyone) to me, a horrible nightmare.

What do you do with your family time? Have you considered the possibility that your conveniences are only permitting you to live a lifestyle that is unhealthy?

I know of no way to say the things I mean without sounding haughty or condescending. I find enormous fault with what is called "normal" life in this place and time, not because I am a contrarian but because I have made enough comparisons to see the faults.

The potential for phones to be good tools within a certain (though unhealthy) context is undeniable (and unimpressive).
Old 11-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 77
Niced 54 Times in 21 Posts

I have never used a GPS function, even on a Boy Scout hiking excursion. I showed the kids how to navigate with the maps (State Park map and USGS Topo map) and another adult was showing them the new-fangled GPS thingy.

However, it is very useful having my phone or tablet handy when out of town. Google maps is a lot easier to fold and put away.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 1,718 Times in 558 Posts

You still churn butter by hand, Arm? Or do you buy the prepackaged sticks?