Old 05-21-2018, 12:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 415
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 752 Times in 274 Posts
Default Weighted Reviews

I've seen the topic brought up before on weighted reviews, most recently by BrotherDave on the vendetta purge thread. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=131131

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I think it's been brought up before but what if TR's ratings were more heavily weighted than non-TR's? So if a TR comes through and gives course X a 3.5 it will take a lot more drive bys giving it a 1 to drag the average down. Higher the TR rating, higher the weighting? You've got to play a lot of courses to become a TR and usually just by osmosis that tends to make better reviewers. It's not perfect b/c you can become a TR easily enough if you whore around for up thumbs but it seems like it might work. I'd rather have the solution be more reviewer based rather than nebulous, moderator or algorithm based. Seems like that would encourage more reviews and better yet make reviewers better at reviewing.
This is the current top 25 using weighted reviews.
the formula for this graphic is (.1 for less than 5 reviews, .2 for non TRs, .4 for bronze, .6 for silver, .8 for gold and 1 for diamond.)
the top ten would have 3 new comers and the top 25 would have 4.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg top 25 weighted.jpg (145.4 KB, 272 views)
Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2018, 12:35 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,680 Times in 762 Posts

Looks like Langley is both 14 and 25?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:43 AM
Birdie Member

whoops, i set the the tyler start east overlay to 0% fill. or perhaps Langley is just that good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Looks like Langley is both 14 and 25?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top 25 weighted2.jpg (146.3 KB, 253 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 05-21-2018, 12:46 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,576 Times in 933 Posts

I mean the .1 for <5 reviews would take the bite out of the impact of the driveby reviews, and people who got a lot of thumbs down (indicating their reviews are not good) would get stuck at .2 and minimize their impact as well.

On the other hand if Paul McBeth decided to review courses, he would start out at .1. Although I'd assume if he did he would be a thumbs up magnet and hit TR status quickly.

I'm not sure what I think. I don't love it enough to advocate for it or hate it enough to try to kill it. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Birdie Member

yes the .1 was an attempt to lessen the impact of the driveby vendettas and homer reviews. As for Paul McBeth. just because he's one the greatest players in the world doesn't automatically make him a great reviewer. he'd half to earn it, just like he earned becoming a top player by dominating on the golf course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I mean the .1 for <5 reviews would take the bite out of the impact of the driveby reviews, and people who got a lot of thumbs down (indicating their reviews are not good) would get stuck at .2 and minimize their impact as well.

On the other hand if Paul McBeth decided to review courses, he would start out at .1. Although I'd assume if he did he would be a thumbs up magnet and hit TR status quickly.

I'm not sure what I think. I don't love it enough to advocate for it or hate it enough to try to kill it. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:43 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,576 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
yes the .1 was an attempt to lessen the impact of the driveby vendettas and homer reviews. As for Paul McBeth. just because he's one the greatest players in the world doesn't automatically make him a great reviewer. he'd half to earn it, just like he earned becoming a top player by dominating on the golf course.
I'm not disagreeing with that, but it kinda goes back to what disc golf is. Disc golf is a sport that is run by players for players. I know a lot of people who have a problem with this site because of the idea that we earn our respect as TRs at a keyboard when where you earn respect in disc golf is on the course. The idea that somebody who is a past World Champion would need to earn anything from a bunch of "keyboard warriors" would drive them nutso.

The flip side of that is that people who have taken the site seriously, written a bunch of reviews that have been given approval (thumbs up) and reach the TR status probably have a better handle on the rating system and why shouldn't their opinion have more weight?

I can see both sides of it.

I guess it comes down to how much of a problem we think the drive by 5's and vendetta 1's are, and does the fix for that do more harm than good. Which is at least worth discussing.

I kinda lean toward the idea that it probably wouldn't make that much difference but I've been wrong before. Maybe we could get some specific courses like Black Falls that has a 1.5 review that would be rated at a .2 and see what it does to those courses ratings. Black Falls has two drive by 5's and two drive by 4.5's along with that possible mistaken identity 1.5, so it may come out in the wash.

The Woodshed obviously was mentioned as a course to look at. I'm sure people will chime in with other courses where there is a weird dud review and we could get some idea of how much of an impact it will have for those courses. That might help us get an idea of if this will even help address what we perceive as a problem.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 326
Niced 251 Times in 108 Posts

Cue the piano. A tradition unlike any other...the annual drivel over giving more importance to TR's ratings. If any other TRs think his voice is more important than others on the site, well, that's why Tim created the ignore button.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,535 Posts

Interesting, thanks for compiling it. A skeptic's question:

(1) Does it really make enough difference to be worth the effort? (Other than to the private courses that get a boost, of course).

(2) Does it have unintended consequences, changing the way people review courses to get more thumbs, or diminishing the desire of new members to review courses? (I doubt it)

(3) Does it open the door to a debate that, though weighting may be good, different values for the weights would be even better? (It would certainly open up the debate that some other factors, like weighting by age of review, should be done).
Old 05-21-2018, 09:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,144 Times in 893 Posts

I think if i were going to try to "fix" the "problem" I would simply weight reviews by first time reviewers .5 and leave the rest alone.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,144 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
Nor does doing a bunch of reviews make one a great reviewer.

Niced: (2)