Old 09-19-2018, 08:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,542 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
BUT...(back to the thread) after round one Lloyd Weema was throwing with guys that were rated 833, 883, 900, 916...Lets face it, those guys were there for the experience as well. The fact that they were beating the pants off some dude on their card really shouldn't have ruined that. Unless he was a douchebag or something, but no one is saying that, They are just saying he was no good and shouldn't have been in Worlds. By that measure, neither should the 833 rated dude. Or the 883 rated dude. Or the 900 rated dude. There was about 29 players there were rated under 950, none of them finished in the top 150. Depending on where you draw the "should have been there" line, most or all of them were just there for the experience of playing World's. Just like Lloyd Weema.
This. Worlds has always been part championship, part convention. It's tightened up in the past few years, but still populated by people with no chance of winning.

I'm a little curious how he got in---did invitees not take all the spots, leaving it open to everyone? Seems hard to play 735 golf and earn enough points to get invited.

That said, it can still be a bit annoying to play with someone so far down the skill scale. I get a chance to play both roles from time to time, in casual play---play with people far worse, and far better---and it can be a test of patience. Of course, the right thing to do is put on a smile, suck it up and be patient.

My first worlds was 2001 AmWorlds, when I didn't have the points to get an invitation but that was just a formality. I was a bit surprised to find out they'd let me in; and a bit abashed to tell people I was going to play in the World Championships, when in reality I wasn't competing for the title. But I'm not sure the PDGA needs to set a minimum standard, either; there would be considerable debate over what it should be, and less-than-full Worlds (with less financial resources from all those entries).
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2018, 09:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 460 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I don't know, I'm impressed with someone who has the fortitude to do burpees while on fire. I can't even pee when I'm burning.
If you get kidney stones, you will pee while burning until they pass without a choice in the matter.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 159
Niced 460 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

That said, it can still be a bit annoying to play with someone so far down the skill scale. I get a chance to play both roles from time to time, in casual play---play with people far worse, and far better---and it can be a test of patience. Of course, the right thing to do is put on a smile, suck it up and be patient.
And I am forever grateful that your smile and patients lasted the whole round I played at Stoney Hill.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,821 Times in 740 Posts

If you're missing putts because of someone else's play on your card then that's on you...not the other player. OTOH a cut off rating for an event like worlds would be completely appropriate.

I play with noobs all the time and don't let it affect my game. If some POS Am like myself can overcome that mental hurdle then so can the "pros" so that aspect should not be an issue.

-Dave

Niced: (2)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Niced 984 Times in 378 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Drift answer: Where it is done well, it's a good idea. Huntsville is a place where they seemed to get it, when I was there it was considered by the Open guys there as their chance to help the next wave of Open players get better and move up. There was no complaining about the n00bs or blaming them for someone's poor play. There are places that get it, and in those places it a cool thing.

St. Louis didn't get it. The best player in town didn't like it and whined about paying money to give up his first round teaching newbies to throw. He set the tone, and a lot of other players followed it. Some guys got it and were cool about it, but it was hit or miss. In that kind of environment, it just doesn't work.

BUT...(back to the thread) after round one Lloyd Weema was throwing with guys that were rated 833, 883, 900, 916...Lets face it, those guys were there for the experience as well. The fact that they were beating the pants off some dude on their card really shouldn't have ruined that. Unless he was a douchebag or something, but no one is saying that, They are just saying he was no good and shouldn't have been in Worlds. By that measure, neither should the 833 rated dude. Or the 883 rated dude. Or the 900 rated dude. There was about 29 players there were rated under 950, none of them finished in the top 150. Depending on where you draw the "should have been there" line, most or all of them were just there for the experience of playing World's. Just like Lloyd Weema.
Another point about these players. They all added prize money to the purse. I don't know what the fee was to play the Worlds (maybe $200 per player?) but whatever it was multiply that by 5 because of these low rated players and that's something the top players and the TD don't mind having.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,542 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
And I am forever grateful that your smile and patients lasted the whole round I played at Stoney Hill.
Ha. You'd have to be a whole lot worse to try my patience.

I've had people come out who've only played disc golf once or twice. People who can hardly throw 150', and can't control that, so are in pretty thick rough a lot. A guy brought his 8-year-old daughter who loves disc golf, and insisted on throwing every single hole until her Dad stopped her at the pond (a lot of 14s). A group brings out a buddy who has never ever played, somehow thinking this would be a good place to start. Sigh.

All of which is about the same gap between me and 1000-rated players, who tolerate my 240' drives and four-putts.

Or if I went to Pro Worlds.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 101
Niced 614 Times in 286 Posts

New rule for DGPT, NTS, and Worlds:

In 2020, you must be rated 900 or higher to play MPO. DGCR jerk, Robert Leonard, AKA MTL, has coined it the "Lloyd Weema" rule.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,150 Times in 894 Posts

What a joke. One level of completely non-competitive player is more acceptable than another?

...and is the PDGA now differentiating DGPT events from other A-tiers? If so that too is a joke.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,835 Times in 1,582 Posts

Citation please. Without a link to something, I'm assuming this is just a joke.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 83
Niced 157 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
What a joke. One level of completely non-competitive player is more acceptable than another?

...and is the PDGA now differentiating DGPT events from other A-tiers? If so that too is a joke.
I wonder if MTL was betting people that this would happen based on insider info as he has done previously on this forum...