Old 10-11-2019, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 998 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesocrul View Post
I mixed about 1/2 tsp of iDye Poly and 1 cup water. Then I mixed about 2 tsp of the water/dye mix with a 2 tbsp-ish of detergent.
Just mix the dye straight into the detergent. That's what I do for any dyes like this, or for painting mixes. And I just use regular Gain detergent. The green stuff, not the free and clear stuff - it doesn't matter as whatever dye makes it green will not dye plastic anyway.

My mix is roughly 1/2 teaspoon per 4 oz of detergent. Then just eyedropper that detergent mix onto a bed of detergent, and do the string stuff.

I suspect your dye mix was just too weak and watery.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-11-2019, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

And remember to be patient - dyes like this at room temp need a lot of time. Like preferably 12 hrs+. At least like 4 hrs even with star plastic.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 106
Niced 51 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
My mix is roughly 1/2 teaspoon per 4 oz of detergent. Then just eyedropper that detergent mix onto a bed of detergent, and do the string stuff.

I suspect your dye mix was just too weak and watery.
I used your mixture to do two dyes. The first dye was a shaving cream bed, with the dye/detergent pulled using floss. Fuzion Justice dyed for about 6 hours. Really happy how this one turned out.

Working on a second disc with a detergent bath and detergent dye.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:01 PM
Par Member

This is the mixture of dye/detergent on a bed of detergent. This definitely produces a more wispy and cloudy look. You can also tell from the edges that the disc wasn't fully submerged.

Probably going to experiment with different detergents and spraying water onto the detergent to see if I can change the size, density, and structure of bubbles in the shaving cream bed & dye/detergent dye.

https://imgur.com/1XZUaCE

Old 11-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Par Member

Tried out some different detergents to mix with dye. This was all on a shaving cream bed. Dropped dye on the shaving cream, then used strings and other tools to attempt to create different pattern & texture effects.

Red was Tide with roggenb3's dye to detergent ratios. The blue was some generic detergent which was way more watery. The purple was an attempt at a 50/50 mixture of the red and blue dyes. Both the blue and purple were way more watery and behaved more like what I've seen from water/dye combos.

You can see form the texture/patterns that the blue and purple behaved differently than the red as well. Interesting to note that some of the holographic stamp seems to flake off when I do this in the Shaving Cream bed. I don't remember this happening during the detergent bed so I assume there is something in the Shaving Cream that causes this?

Old 11-04-2019, 10:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesocrul View Post
I don't remember this happening during the detergent bed so I assume there is something in the Shaving Cream that causes this?
Yeah SC definitely messes with stamps. Not always in the same way it seems. I've had a couple discs with colored foil stamps, where the SC removes the color but leaves the silver stamp. I have used that intentionally to create striped stamps that were pretty cool.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Par Member

Set up a dye bath this morning. Used floss for my string on a bed of Tide, then the same red/purple/blue dyes were poured on top of the floss. Floss was then pulled off to the side of the disc. Dyeing some Star and Luster Champ plastic with these dyes. Lets see what happens in 24 hours.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Par Member

Result from that bath. Colors a little weak, but it was hard to tell if the dye was staying on top of the mixture as I pulled the string across it.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Par Member

hmm somehow uploaded a tiny picture this time. I put this in a second bath to get some more color in the white spaces. Going to try some different string directions. I've been using floss as my string at the moment, but I don't love it because it doesn't seem to pull enough dye with it. My shoelace seems to be too heavy and sinks into the Tide and pushes the dye too deep to even dye the plastic. Going to try braiding some sewing thread together to get something of intermediate thickness.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 145
Niced 254 Times in 113 Posts

I just dyed my first Disc last week. Uh oh, looks like I've been bitten by a new bug. It turned out AMAZING. I'd post a picture but the one or two times I've tried that here at DGCR it didn't work for me...

Last edited by Central Scrutinizer; 11-11-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Tried to upload a picture