Old 10-18-2019, 10:00 PM

Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default SUPERWORLDS

Mentioned this in another thread drifting thread so I decided to get a discussion going elsewhere.
The idea is for there to be a massive all inclusive Worlds Championship Event held every 4-5 years. This event would involve 4 years of planning and preparation because it would play host to all age brackets,divisions, and genders and would be PRO and AM Worlds. The numbers of players could exceed GBO standards, 1,000 plus and there would be so many players that the host locale would experience an economic boost. Thus, other locales would want such an event in the future instead of the current 100 playerish events where sleeping on living room couches and leaving no financial footprint. I realize this would require the right locale and tons of planning and prep and would be a logistical nightmare.....but the windfall the publicity and the marketability of the sport with huge galleries and festive money spending atmosphere could be worth it. Also, if it was held only every 4-5 years then players could have plenty of time to save and plan to make this trip. I do realize the places and persons are few and far between but there are more courses going in of higher quality and more tournaments every year so there seems to be a growing TD, Course and Player Base that such a thing could happen. If it was AM and PRO local clubs would not feel so ripped off by hosting.

I would like to hear thoughts and opinions as well as locales that could host such an event.......I am prepared for the sarcastic yawns and pessimists but could this not be done in a World Cup/Olympics Manner?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,291 Times in 312 Posts

And it's 12 rounds over 13 days, with one rest day in the middle.

edit: And a couple of field cuts at strategic points, with lots of second-chance C-tiers for all those who are below the line!

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 178 Times in 85 Posts

and all the Slim Jim flavors you could ever imagine

Old 10-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 136 Times in 85 Posts

My first thought / question is "Why?"

Niced: (2)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,711 Times in 840 Posts

Sounds good. Go ahead and do it. You don't need permission, just bid on all the world championships for whatever year you think you can get ready.

(Gets lots of help from the tourism folks. Let them "own" it.)

Niced: (3)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
My first thought / question is "Why?"
I will counter with

Why Not?

Benefits: fun and festive atmosphere that players would enjoy being a part of as well as providing an actual economic imprint

sure there are drawbacks but why should we have a World Cup in Soccer....

Old 10-18-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Sounds good. Go ahead and do it. You don't need permission, just bid on all the world championships for whatever year you think you can get ready.

(Gets lots of help from the tourism folks. Let them "own" it.)
and the crabby pessimistic disgruntled man in the back has spoken......steps slowly off of his lawn

I don't want to do it, I want the idea to be discussed
Old 10-18-2019, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,520 Times in 1,530 Posts

They used to do this about every 4 years---a combined All-Divisions Pro-Am Worlds. Charlotte 2012 (?) may have been the last; I think it had over 1,100 players.

So it's been tried and experienced, and the movement has been to ever-more-separate Worlds.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
They used to do this about every 4 years---a combined All-Divisions Pro-Am Worlds. Charlotte 2012 (?) may have been the last; I think it had over 1,100 players.

So it's been tried and experienced, and the movement has been to ever-more-separate Worlds.
I remember Charlotte and maybe Emporia? being the last to do this....to me it's sad to fragment the fields. I am sure a few players who used to all travel can no longer do so as they are in different fields and age and gender categories...

Disc Golfers generally are an entitled brat pack and trying to cater to 1,000 plus must be a headache but it's a headache that we should try to weather every 4-5 yrs just for the possible positives....maybe

Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,520 Times in 1,530 Posts

There are pros and cons. It requires a place with about 15 championship-quality courses (for various skill levels), within easy driving distance, and enough lodging and services. Smaller Worlds can go far more places, and better cater to their smaller fields.

As a player, there's some pleasure in being around so many disc golfers---especially at the host hotel---but really, most of the time you're on the course in your own division, and it's more like a bunch of tournaments happening in the same town, and you're only part of one.

The relevant lesson is, that it's already been done. Multiple times. The PDGA has done everybody-in Worlds and separate Pro & Am Worlds and the current segmented Worlds; with that experience of having tried all the options, the opinion seems to be in favor of more, smaller Worlds, rather than massive ones.