Old 10-30-2019, 06:40 PM
Par Member

Niced 26 Times in 24 Posts

Coming up on 3 years of banging my head against the wall but the gains do come, sometimes small sometimes big. It can be very frustrating but you know it’s going to be worthwhile. Because when you get even that ONE shot that works out it feels so good!

I have zero sports history and am slowly figuring it out thanks to the patience and advice from everyone here. Just work on one thing at a time, it will fall into place eventually.

I found it helpful to intentionally put very flippy plastic in my bag because in my case it helped me to not muscle the disc. And just forget the form stuff every now and then and go play for fun. Trust me I’ve had my fair share of meltdowns when I wasn’t progressing.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 26 Times in 24 Posts

I just wanted to add; it was just over two years before I saw any real distance increase. Up until that it’s been efficiency. I’m still a ways off figuring it all out and I’m excited for when that time comes.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Par Member

Niced 24 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I've said the same thing, pretty sure HUB as too. The irony is that it's so simple to do once you get it, but hard to explain.

"The fine golf swing is truly achievement. Man may lie, cheat and steal for gain, but he will never obtain the golf swing. To gain a golf swing, man must work. It's work without toil, it's intoxication without hangover, it's stimulation without the pills, it's defeating yet it takes courage, it is humbling, it enables the human spirit, its price is high yet its rewards are richer." - Moe Norman
Hahaha, thanks Sidewinder, haha. That makes me feel soooo much better... not. But it did give me a good laugh. So that's something.

And I'm sure when I FINALLY "get it" and start throwing it well, I too will be like... OH CRAP!!! THAT'S IT?!?! IT'S THAT EASY! All this time I've been trying to so hard, and THIS is all it takes, hahaha. That'll be a cruel but funny joke when that day comes.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Par Member

Yes, VERY Alien indeed!!! Hahaha

You would think with my good one hand tennis backhand, that I'd at least be doing pretty well already with Disc golf, but nope. Not in the slightest.

So to answer your questions about the tennis swing.

-The arm is loose and firm on and off during the swing. It's not a constant stiff or loose. I don't think about lag when I hit a tennis ball, and my body just does what it needs to do. But that is because its so easy to learn how to hit a tennis ball. Same with a baseball. But I had to THINK about lagging the golf club VERY much when I had to learn Lag for the golf swing. The initial learning of the swing was kind of hard. That took a year or so to get pretty good, hit a drive 250. But getting the lag down was a VERY foreign/alien feeling, haha. But it only took about 2-3 months one summer of practicing a few days a week until I not only had it happen, but then honed it to the point that it became a natural part of my golf swing.

Yet with disc golf, I have not ONE time thrown a disc far with ease like how it's supposed to go. After 8 months of practice and playing often! So that is very odd and extremely frustrating, especially for me. With my ability to learn almost any sport or hobby fairly easily or within a fairly quick time frame compared to others. NEVER have I played a sport (and Ive played almost all of them) that took this long to learn.

-So when swinging a tennis racket, it is CRAZY easy to feel lag, to feel the weight of the racket, to feel gravity doing some of the work for you. Because the racket has weight and is not connected to your body. Your hand holds it and allows it to hinge VERY easily. Same with any other sport that you hit something. There is a racket, club, bat, stick that is not part of your body and allows you to FEEL lag, feel weight, and allow you to use gravity to swing it smoothly and then unleash at the last second. Disc golf does not. It is your arm that must be the whip or the lag, and that is just INSANE to try and do!

But you can and DO muscle shots all the time in golf, tennis, baseball and hockey, and get incredible results. Sure, perfect form is how you'll achieve the best results, but with athleticism, you can get almost perfect without all those perfect mechanics going on. Because what it comes down to in those other sports is the lagging of the bat, club, stick racket, etc. You can come in early, on time or late and STILL hit an amazing shot. It feels like possibly in Disc golf, that is NOT an option? That you HAVE to be perfect with everything or you won't be able to throw far? Or is that not correct? It seems like pros get away with bad habits often, which makes me think you DON'T have to be perfect in order to throw really far with good consistency.

Youre not hitting a golf ball, tennis ball, etc with 90-100% of the power coming from your legs and body only. A lot of power/distance/speed in those sports comes from your arms/shoulders/wrists. I can hit a golf ball almost as far muscling a low stinger shot as I can a perfectly timed long fluid extremely lagged swing with almost perfect technique. Same with baseball. In tennis, I can either come into a one hand backhand with perfect footwork and setup, with a nicely timed perfect swing and use less arm to hit it hard, or I can come in late and not perfectly in balance and hit it just as hard with my arm/wrist.

So Im not sure I follow why everyone is always trying to say you MUST use mostly your bigger muscles to throw a disc far. Is that just for purposes of trying to teach those that dont have great athleticism good habits? Or is it an absolute? Meaning, is the ONLY way to throw it really far and with ease by using only the big muscles? Because when I see a lot of pros throw, they dont look like they are only using their legs and body to throw the disc. They TOTALLY look like they are using their arms/shoulders to MASH on that disc!

Sure, those big muscles do a lot of free work for you, but if that were the case, then Id already be throwing pretty far. As my weight transfer, balance, and big muscles are being used a lot. And yet no matter what I do, the disc never goes any farther.

So I just wonder often, if I have this totally wrong vision of HOW its supposed to work. Im obviously missing some magic ingredient, as I have the balance, weight shift, body positions more or less down. Sure they could be even better, but I know Im in good positions and doing things right from tons of previous experiences in other sports. I should be able to throw 400-450' right now, but that's not even close to reality. Its something with my arm and getting the arm/disc to feel heavy that is the problem. If I can somehow figure that out, that will be it. Ill throw far at that point. But so far, everything I have tried is not working.

Thank you for this. I have a feeling it won't give me the magic I need to throw far, as I'm already in this exact position when I throw and nothing has changed But I am DEFINITELY going to try this just to see. And thank you so much for taking time to try and help! Ive watched a few of your videos and learned some great stuff from them! Hope I can figure this out sooner or later, its absolutely killing me, haha. But Im not going to give up.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 230 Times in 175 Posts

You can definitely throw pretty far with bad form. Probably not over 450 or anything like that, but personally I've touched 400 a few times left handed with some sub par form: rounding, not turning hips back, etc. But that was just some natural athleticism and TONS of field work. Starting out throwing like 200' with a painful shoulder lol.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Par Member

So reading more great stuff, but it keeps opening more questions for me, haha. Trying to take things one at a time and work on one thing before moving on.

So one of those ideas I've never been quite sure about is how the arm gets INTO the power pocket or whatever you wanna call it. I just read an old post on DGR and HUB and others were saying something about bringing the arm forward into the power pocket. And they were saying they don't force it, it just happens? And it got me thinking about that one part of the throw.

So wow should I be getting my arm from the reach back to the "power pocket?" Getting into this position:

Am I pulling the disc to there?

Am I twisting my hips open and letting the power of my forward movement and hips unwinding pull my arm forward?

Should my shoulders be passive getting me into this position? Somewhat involved? Or actively pulling the disc into this position?

It's something I realized I don't even know the actual answer too, nor how to go about doing it.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 145 Times in 80 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you superwookie, I've watched almost of all sw22 and hubs videos and read their posts. I keep trying, and never quite get it right. I think my hip mobility could be part of my problem, but my brain just doesn't seem to understand the process. Which is weird as somebody who used to be a good athlete in several sports growing up. I think I've just been strong arming things my whole life...

Old 11-07-2019, 07:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,884 Times in 1,762 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=7m50s

Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 27
Niced 540 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post

Am I pulling the disc to there?

Am I twisting my hips open and letting the power of my forward movement and hips unwinding pull my arm forward?

Should my shoulders be passive getting me into this position? Somewhat involved? Or actively pulling the disc into this position?

It's something I realized I don't even know the actual answer too, nor how to go about doing it.

Thanks
Get to the same position with a tennis racket (racket will still be lagged back pointing almost away from the target with point of contact with the ball around level with your midriff and not yet happened)

What did you use to get to that position?

I suspect you are doing everything far, far too early in the disc golf swing, you are trying to unleash before you've ever shifted and settled your weight

As always I can't seem to make the damn thing embed so here's a direct link

https://imgur.com/a/jLsiiqs

Old 11-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 314 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
As always I can't seem to make the damn thing embed so here's a direct link

https://imgur.com/a/jLsiiqs
Nice picture for the concept.

Rhatton1 here's what I do to imbed pictures:

1. In the Go Advanced view click on the paper clip to upload the file/picture by using Browse and Upload.
2. There will be a link under the Current Attachments. Click on the link to open the picture in a new window.
3. Copy the URL address and then go back and click on the Image icon and paste the URL there.
4. Check to see it is showing using the Preview Post.