Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 417 Times in 185 Posts
Default Player Preference for Sanctioned Events

I'm collecting data for an upcoming A-Tier and would like the format to be as player-oriented as possible so we can plan within the preferences of our target audience. If you do not play sanctioned events, feel free to provide your reason(s) why.

Specifically:

1. Would you prefer to play 3 rounds (Fri, Sat, Sun) or 4 (Fri, Sat 1, Sat 2, Sun)

2. Would you prefer to play 1 course, 2 courses, or a new course each round?

3. How far are you willing to travel for an event?

4. What would entice you to put an event (outside your home town) on your calendar?

5. What (specific) types of items do you like to see in player's packs?

6. Based on the events you've attended, what makes them memorable (good or bad)?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-11-2019, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,368 Times in 2,305 Posts

2. Would most definitely depend on the available courses. If you only have two quality courses, I would rather play those twice than play a 3rd meh course.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,717 Times in 558 Posts

1. 3 rounds, 1 a day

2. 1 or 2, depending on the quality of courses. Especially if I'm coming from out of town and practice time is limited.

3. Depends on size of event, quality of the courses and quality of competition. I've traveled 8 hours for a big event, but the return trip wasn't that great.

4. See #3

5. Not really a concern. Ams might have different thoughts.

6. Good events are run smoothly with orderly payouts. Friendly and helpful staff/volunteers. If multiple courses, clear instructions on tee times and what course to be played. Good communication in general. Waiting 4 hours for ace $ at BG Ams many years ago with poor communication was awful.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Par Member

Niced 110 Times in 58 Posts

You may want to mention if this is a pro or am A tier. You mentioned players pack, so I assume it's an am event. But since you'll receive contrasting info from pros vs. ams, you may want to clarify.

Also, my answers would basically be the same as the above poster, Hampstead.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by LateWesternSky; 11-11-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,368 Times in 2,305 Posts

Lol... this comp drives me f'n crazy sometime. was in the middle of typing something for no.1 and all of a sudden it dings at me and I look up to see that it already posted what Ityped for no2 and i never even touched the mouse. Then my comp freezes up, lol...

1. Depends on the course. If you planning on using a long physically demanding course, then two rounds might not be a great idea, especially if its hot.

2. Would most definitely depend on the available courses. If you only have two quality courses, I would rather play those twice than play a 3rd meh course.

3. A lot of people have a lot of different ideas about what they would consider worth it. Just do what you think is best and let the chips fall and learn from it.

4. ehh probably same as no3.

5. I've personally had my fill of player pack swag but a choice of a few discs in other than normal plastics or FRs are always good. A quality event logo shirt.

6. Mostly the people who I've met. Have a get together of some kind(flymart or BBQ/players party) where people can mill around.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,523 Times in 1,531 Posts

I play few tournaments anymore, but from when I played more often:

It all depends on the quality of the course(s). Great or epic courses are a bigger draw to me.

1. 4 rounds, if possible. More golf, better, especially if I travel for it. I don't need a lot of spare time to fill on Saturday.

2. 1 course, unless the courses are close to equal. At multi-course events, I spend half the time on the course I like less, wishing I was on the course I like more.

3. Completely dependent on the course(s). I think the furthest I've traveled, outside of Worlds, was about an 8 hour drive. But that was for a great course. Merely "good" courses, nothing over 2 hours.

4. My variables were always, in order, (1) course quality, and (2) where it fits on my personal calendar---with other events I might want to play, and other matters in my life. I'm not one to play consecutive weekends, so a bit of space between the better local events is a plus.

5. Don't care. Don't particularly like players packs. A voucher for a selection of discs and other merchandises, would be my preference.

6. The course, the players I'm grouped with, the weather.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:35 PM

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 223
Niced 66 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
I'm collecting data for an upcoming A-Tier and would like the format to be as player-oriented as possible so we can plan within the preferences of our target audience. If you do not play sanctioned events, feel free to provide your reason(s) why.

Specifically:

1. Would you prefer to play 3 rounds (Fri, Sat, Sun) or 4 (Fri, Sat 1, Sat 2, Sun)

2. Would you prefer to play 1 course, 2 courses, or a new course each round?

3. How far are you willing to travel for an event?

4. What would entice you to put an event (outside your home town) on your calendar?

5. What (specific) types of items do you like to see in player's packs?

6. Based on the events you've attended, what makes them memorable (good or bad)?

Thanks in advance for your input!
1. 4 rounds--as much golf as possible is most often my preference. BUT my overall preference is to stick to Saturday/Sunday unless you have a compelling reason for adding a weekday, because I have a full-time job.
2. 1 course if 3 rounds, 2 courses (2/2) if 4 rounds. For Fri/Sat/Sat/Sun would prefer the same course for both Saturday rounds.
3. Pretty far. For me the priorities go: are any days off work worth the tournament experience? Are the courses good? Is the tournament going to be run well? Is the payout good? Again, are the course/tournament going to be run well enough that I don't question my decision to go?
4. Fits with the rest of my touring schedule, and see all items in (3.).
5. I'm a pro, so I don't usually expect a player pack. I have plenty of T-shirts and discs so I love it when TDs are creative. A 10m measuring tape with the tournament logo on it. A vegetable peeler. Bobbleheads. Good umbrella. A nice pair of socks. I'd rather have one good-quality, usable thing than several keychains/lanyards/minis/other small items.
6. Good organization. Keep your event schedule tight and on-time. Have a thorough caddy book available a week beforehand with no addenda at the player meeting. Have all the courses ready to go, including signage, circles, etc well before the event starts. Have a player party at a cool/interesting place. Curate the experience to fit the target group (touring pros want/need different things than local first-tournament amateurs).

Old 11-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 146
Niced 348 Times in 166 Posts

1. Don't really want to take Friday off work if I can avoid it. But weekday or not, I'm paying money to play golf, not paying to sit around and wait for other people to finish.

2. Up to 2. But for gods sake, don't make me travel to a new course over the lunch break.

3. About 3 hours for a good one.

4. Good course. Good TD.

5. Not another damn hat and sticker sheet.

6. I remember practically zero things about payouts and players packs, ever. What I remember is the TD making bad decisions about course layouts, rules, and schedules.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Niced 417 Times in 185 Posts

Can't edit my original post...
Thanks for the feedback! To address a couple comments:
- This is an Pro/Am A-Tier
- All the courses used for this event will be between 3.5-4.5 on DGCR
- There is a player's party/FlyMart planned
- Player's Packs is am only

Another question is what, if any other festivities would you like to see during the week leading up to the tournament: pro clinics, flex-start C-Tiers, Glo Rounds, Happy hours, etc.?

Niced: (1)

Old 11-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 39 Times in 19 Posts

I would suggest you ask respondents to post which division(s) they usually play, as you'll likely find different priorities.

As for me, a Rec-rated 40+ am:

1. If it's 3 days, I would likely prefer 4 rounds. I'd rather double up on at least one day. Now, if you have an excellent pro field playing some sweet courses with tee times, I'd be more amenable to one round each day if that meant I could do some spectating. If the top pros would be playing the same time as me so I couldn't really spectate anyway, then let me get more golf in.

2. In general, I'd prefer a new course each time. However, for a 4 round tournament, doubling up once is OK.

3. For a good 3+day event, a 5-6 hour drive may be worth it for me.

4. Sweet courses. Lots of top pros if there are opportunities for am players to spectate and/or mingle with the pros. Of course, it has to work with personal schedule, but that's obviously something TDs can't do much about for all of their potential attendees.

5. I'm not all that concerned with the player packs. I'm willing to pay for a good event and not expect all of that value in merch. That being said, my preferences for items are ones that are unique, or give us a voucher and/or choices in discs. The chance of me having any use for a player pack disc I don't get to choose is close to zero.

6. Courses, fellow competitors, watching the pros, smooth logistics. I know organizing am payout is one of the biggest pains for any TD, but whatever you can do to smooth out and speed up the process would always be appreciated by players. That's often the last impression that players have of the event, good or bad. Try not to change course assignments after people sign up. As someone who is eligible to play many different divisions and doesn't really care about how I place, my choice of division or even whether or not to sign up in the first place may very well depend on the courses that I am expecting to play.