Old 09-27-2020, 09:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 881 Times in 325 Posts

Googled “new Covid strain” and stories pop up dating back to July. It appears the new strain is now the dominant strain in many areas. It is more contagious but not more deadly and does not mean more severe cases. There is nothing stated about masks & social distancing being “worthless”. This is just me speaking, but this news would seem to make masks & social distancing more critical than ever. If the virus is more infectious, that just makes me want to go out in public less than I already do, be even more cautious about distancing (I already wasn’t buying the 6 feet guideline), and ensure my mask fits well. These are not foolproof measures, but that is a really stupid reason not to employ then anyway, like it’s stupid not to bother with seatbelts because they don’t prevent 100% of traffic fatalities.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-27-2020, 10:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,319 Times in 876 Posts

Is it wrong to Google when the deniers are on their deathbed and say "take this seriously, I didn't and I hope no one else goes through this, I didn't think it was this bad"?

Bah new strain, old strain, this is just a strain on everything and everybody all the way around. I wish I was able to deny it was a major concern and a giant adversity that we all have to face. It's like a death lottery... I wish (stupid?) people would stop spinning the wheel of fate.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 09-27-2020 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,540 Times in 878 Posts

hmm... when I just now googled "new covid strain masks not working" several links came up especially when searching under "news" but most if not all had an obvious party bias so I won't post them here. Looks like I fell for a scare tactic and I apologize for dragging that here.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,064 Times in 1,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
hmm... when I just now googled "new covid strain masks not working" several links came up especially when searching under "news" but most if not all had an obvious party bias so I won't post them here. Looks like I fell for a scare tactic and I apologize for dragging that here.
Having genuine concern and questions does not require an apology. Masks, social distancing and handwashing are only tools. 6 ft is not a magic number. Can respiratory droplets carry further than six feet? I would always assume they can. You chances are significantly decreased when keep distance between people. Can the virus aerosolize and get through most masks? I would just assume so and depend on the mask to stop my own respiratory droplets, to protect others. Masks are not magic. You can significantly decrease the chances that you will spread any virus, with a mask. Does proper handwashing, with the correct soap, kill 100% of the virus, all the time? Nope, this is not magic either. But, it will significantly decrease the chances of catching or spreading the virus. There are all just measures designed to slow down the virus enough to prevent the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed.

The virus cannot really be stopped. It was always going to spread. If you want to really not get COVID, self isolate. Don't go out, don't see people. Wash all packages as they arrive to your home, in gloves and mask.

I wish there were absolutes, but there is not. Common sense, caring about your fellow man, a touch of knowledge and the above tools fill your toolbox.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,319 Times in 876 Posts

Grabbed a burger today at an outside stand... no one around so I left my mask in the truck. The guy thanked me for not wearing a mask and buying into the BS.. Then went on a rant about how if it was real the cemetery's would be filling up and how it was fake because he didn't know anyone that died. what an accidental way to find out, now I'm less than comfortable going back right now... first hardcore denier I've run into.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,466 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
. . . The guy thanked me for not wearing a mask and buying into the BS.. Then went on a rant about how if it was real the cemetery's would be filling up and how it was fake because he didn't know anyone that died. what an accidental way to find out, now I'm less than comfortable going back right now... first hardcore denier I've run into.
Yeah I see no reason to support a business that isn't taking appropriate precautions to protect its customers and its employees.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:26 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 18
Niced 46 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Yeah I see no reason to support a business that isn't taking appropriate precautions to protect its customers and its employees.
Who said the business wasn't protecting customers and employees? He just said the dope flipping burgers was a denier. He did not say the employee was not wearing a mask did he? His ignorance was on display though. I put this on the same level as a 9/11 truther. Covid is real. The fear of Covid I fell is driven overboard a little by the media. You have a 97% chance of surviving if you catch the virus.

Last edited by Discraft Dad; 09-28-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,466 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discraft Dad View Post
Who said the business wasn't protecting customers and employees? He just said the dope flipping burgers was a denier. He did not say the employee was not wearing a mask did he?
Fair. I'll be interested to hear about that.

Personally, I would rather spend my discretionary income elsewhere, based on the rant. Even if the guy was wearing a mask.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 30
Niced 456 Times in 230 Posts

Quote:
You have a 97% chance of surviving if you catch the virus.
I wouldn’t spend a month at the Playboy Mansion if there was only a 97% chance I’d live through it

With seven minutes left in the Super Bowl, the Niners had better than a 97% chance of winning

Last edited by etdefender19; 09-28-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,064 Times in 1,430 Posts

Quote:
Who said the business wasn't protecting customers and employees? He just said the dope flipping burgers was a denier. He did not say the employee was not wearing a mask did he? His ignorance was on display though. I put this on the same level as a 9/11 truther. Covid is real. The fear of Covid I fell is driven overboard a little by the media. You have a 97% chance of surviving if you catch the virus.
Hmmmm.....if I gave you a bowl of M&M's (and you REALLY LOVE M&M's) and told you three of them would kill you.....do you grab a handful??

Surviving a gun shot wound is around 72%, I am not giving that a try either.

Last edited by ru4por; 09-28-2020 at 05:24 PM.