Old 09-14-2019, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
New putting stance paid off for the first time in my 9 hole round yesterday. Had a below average driving/upshot day, but still managed to tie my best at the course because I could hit 20-25 footers a lot more reliably. Feels good. Also my ~150'-175' putter standstills are feeling better and better. Getting all my weight on the front foot, "wiping my butt", and making sure my arm extends/pushes and I'm accidentally throwing too far a lot. Sorry neighbor's car!
That's exactly the track to take I think. Add like 10-20' to that comfortable range at a time and soon you'll be throwing 250'+ putter shots with no effort and all leverage.

Awesome that the putting is working out for you too.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 200 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
That's exactly the track to take I think. Add like 10-20' to that comfortable range at a time and soon you'll be throwing 250'+ putter shots with no effort and all leverage.

Awesome that the putting is working out for you too.
Yeah I def have no trouble getting putters out to 250'. But when I get more hip turn incorporated it should be even easier.

Played a tags round this morning and shot my best round right handed at the course by 4-5 strokes. Hit one outside the circle putt and only missed 2-3 inside. Driving started out well but had some bumps along the way. I know I was starting to come over the top a little because my hip and back are hurting. So my focus will be leading with the hips more and getting them turned back further. I'm starting to feel like a right handed person.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:01 AM
Eagle Member

So on the topic of putting. I'm still not sure where I need to be in terms of grip pressure. When I see Paul McBeth putt it looks like he is holding his putter like a bird, but then it comes out with a lot of power. So he must be tightening down on the grip a little bit either during the backswing or right before the forward swing right? I find that I'm sometimes not holding it firm enough which leads to some flubbed releases.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 AM
Eagle Member

I am a physics god (watch until the end)

But it really looks like its coming out super nose down and I'm not letting the wrist be loose so I end up with my hand on the back of the disc. I swear when its flying its slight hyzer and only slightly nose down. Feeling WAY more confident though.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

In this picture I added earlier in the thread, look at where the disc is in my "aiming" position. It's completely forward and basically what it feels like to me is the back edge of the disc is the front. It almost feels like I'm holding on that late or slinging the disc forward so that my hand helps spring the back edge forward, to add to its momentum. I don't push on the side edge of the disc or the flight plate at all. I used to kind of push at the 9 o'clock position and give it a little finger spring, but now I'm really feeling like the disc swings along a continual path and that sets the nose down, a flat wing angle, and gives it a lot more pop naturally rather than me trying to get my hand spring perfect. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...&postcount=370

And it's not my hand being so loose that my wrist feels like it opens fully, but that the disc wants to sling around or through.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Eagle Member

So more of a push with the palm on the back of the disc rather than a push with the fingers?
Old 09-15-2019, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

No it's a feel thing with the disc's weight itself...where I don't actually have to feel my hand action anymore. I used to have to think of finger spring or if I'd push with the palm or anything like that, and that would make my putting consistency vary a lot day to day depending on if I was "feeling it" that day or not.

It's more that the back edge of the disc is my focus. As I start the putting motion the back edge is moving toward the basket at a smooth and increasing pace, and then as I start to extend I just keep the back edge of the disc moving toward the basket continually, until it is the front of the disc. It basically never gets redirected or tugged or anything...I just keep the back edge continuing forward until it is the front of the disc.

The simplest way I can explain the feel, is to pinch the disc between thumb and index and let it dangle below your hand vertically, and feel the disc's weight sway a bit. Now pop the disc straight upward so that the disc flies straight up to the sky. It should feel like the dangling edge of the disc that was below your hand just wants to shoot straight up. It feels pretty natural to fling the disc straight up after a few times, if you don't try to overspin it or anything then you shouldn't get any angles to the pop upward. It's the same thing, I just feel like the disc wants to spring or sling at the basket so I help it get there.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:02 PM
Eagle Member

I do understand the "feeling" aspect and its impossible to explain. I just need to make sure I'm holding it in a way that allows me to feel that pop/weight shifting and from there its just refining it.

So I just got back from the putting lab and I tried actually using my fingers to push the disc into the palm and it got me a lot more consistent releases. Not sure if it will be evident on video, but I was able to keep longer putts a lot lower and just felt more crisp out of the hand.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Crisp is the right description of how it feels to me. I would try to get far less hyzer though, I find those can be prone to weird reaction to the wind more, and can cut through the chains more often than flat puts.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Crisp is the right description of how it feels to me. I would try to get far less hyzer though, I find those can be prone to weird reaction to the wind more, and can cut through the chains more often than flat puts.
Yeah... definitely something I need to work on. Just feels weird having my wrist bent to hold the left side of the disc up. Honestly, the worst part is when I miss I end up with lots of rollaways that then cause me to 3 putt.