Old 09-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 115 Times in 90 Posts
Default BSammons’ Form Thread

Alright. Took a while off, stopped playing, injured myself in high school, got rotator cuff surgery from said injury, and am just starting back playing. Here are my concerns:
1. Using my back a lot. It gets really tired.
2. My discs get weird marks on the rim from my release, so I know there’s something wrong with my final hit.
3. I throw really far (450) but with no consistency and I’m tired of working for every foot. So: I have tried and tried and tried to slow everything down, focus on it all, but I never seem to get it right. So tell me everyone I need to know, starting from the ground up, and I’ll work almost every day to get it nailed. But I just don’t know what to do :/ here’s a slomo video:

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 08:15 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 201 Times in 153 Posts

Turning back quite a bit too early which makes it a lot harder to not open up too early as well. Would also help you with accuracy a lot. The back pain is probably from you tipping backwards (towards the back of the teepad) too much during the backswing instead of staying more upright. This makes it hard to get your weight on the front leg which is looks like you aren't quite getting there. A little hard for me to tell what type of shot this was, looks like an anhyzer by the way your body finishes. Could you post a hyzer and more flat angle shot as well?

I'm curious about making marks on the disc with your hand. I've never heard of that before.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 09-15-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,756 Times in 1,707 Posts

Agree with UN.

Back is probably related to pushing off your rear heel/knee extension and not being balanced on the front leg, flat footed. You need to drive off the rear instep, drive the rear heel/knee forward. I think if you were doing the Door Frame Drills, you would be trying to turn clockwise to pull the door frame/disc going into the plant, instead of the door frame/disc pulling your body further back counter clockwise. Your right shoulder is turning forward while your arm/disc are going back so there's a big yank at the top of the backswing instead of smooth transition. You shouldn't feel any spine twist in door frame drill. Hang from the door frame with your butt going targetward and everything turning away from target. Also looks like your top of backswing is closer to the right teepad side, around behind your body, instead of closer to left teepad side away from body. In door frame drill I think you are setup with your stance too close to the door frame laterally and linearly, so you will likely need to walk your rear foot diagonally toward right teepad side to really get your butt to lead and load the left instep.

One Leg Drill/Crush the Can will help with your balance on the front leg. Also keep your left arm in, left hand on left thigh like Marc Jarvis to leverage your whole rear side together instead of twisting from lag - I show this in One Leg Drill and much easier on back.

I would suggest playing around with Robbie Bratten's 2 finger grip:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...57#post3440757

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=119328

Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Awesome I’ll get to work on that, thanks to both of you.
One thing I’ve always been confused about is where exactly the power and stability for the throw comes from, particularly on one leg drill. I find myself trying to torque my back to get any sort of power but I don’t know where the pull/motion comes from. Does that make sense? Where exactly does the power and drive come from?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 201 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
One thing I’ve always been confused about is where exactly the power and stability for the throw comes from, particularly on one leg drill. I find myself trying to torque my back to get any sort of power but I don’t know where the pull/motion comes from. Does that make sense? Where exactly does the power and drive come from?
I'm not confident enough to answer your question well, but ultimately the answer is hips/torso/momentum. I'll let the resident experts speak to that.

And it's probably less of a rotation/spin than you are thinking and more of a forward move towards the target. The rotation just happens if you focus on moving the disc towards the target. Check out the battering ram video and try some of those movements to try to understand that concept.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2019, 06:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
The butt kind of counterweights the torso, and the rear leg helps counterweight the arm swinging. If you let yourself be angled/tilted and free flowing, then you'll feel where you can keep swinging without falling forward and also being able to keep using the arm as the swing is happening. Having some athletic tilt is pretty important, same with shifting so the butt moves toward the target first and can then be cleared away as a counterweight by the front leg.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Don't pull and don't try to create power or drive.
Swing back and forth perpetually and let gravity and momentum do most of the work - effortless.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:35 PM
Eagle Member

I know I’m overthinking this and I know I’m probably seeming stubborn but I am still stuck. My hip is binding in the one leg drill. It isn’t smooth and it doesn’t flow. I’m going into the back swing and trying to let it flow through. There’s no swing from my hips, no movement, no nothing.
I’m correct in assuming there has to be power from somewhere, right? He talks about “brace coming from inside the front leg” but if there’s no motion going into that how is that possibly supposed to work? His back hip is rotating to where his front hip is and every time I try to stand on my front leg and swing it binds my lower back and front hip and the only thing I get is a pinch.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

It would be easier if you video yourself setting up. My guess is that you aren't standing balanced/upright on the front leg like you could stand all day on it, or you just came to a stop from walking normally on the front leg. And/or your back foot is in the way. Think of the back foot like a kickstand on a bicycle, it's just there to balance the bike's tilt/"braced tilt", it's not there for shifting the weight of it, the vast majority of the weight is still on the tires. If you do stop from normal walk on front leg, the back foot should be able to rest on toes with leg out of the way to swivel the pelvis freely.

Try feet together drill and elephant walk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s&t=3m40s

Old 09-17-2019, 12:37 AM
Eagle Member

Quick video I took. Only have so much room at night but it’s the full picture.
. I think it may have something to do with my pelvis not sitting upright on top of my right hip? Not too sure but thank you for all the help so far! No idea why it saved that way but it’ll sit right with rotation lock on :/