Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 38.1
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 178 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Toboggan is a temp course and iirc, Discraft brought those baskets to the event last year.
prolly part of his contract, like a bonus :-)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 140 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichiwi View Post
Pretty sure in a interview last year he said his course will have the 18 baskets that he shot -18 at the GLO.
Any idea where this course will be?

Old 06-27-2019, 04:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 472 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Mold design is a very very complex and difficult process. People who do it for a living still always miss things and struggle at times to do it right. I build injection molds, trust me. The thought that some random joe could do it is both laughable and insulting to those who actually do it . Having a bit of input is one thing, but to call that "design" is wrong. At best you're an advisor.

*Please nobody let it out that I'm actually standing up for engineers.......*
Interesting. Random Joe here sat behind a CAD designer who had never heard of Disc Golf and in 15 minutes asked him to draw up a disc shape and then heighten the wing, flatten the top a bit, increase the bead slightly, change the diameter slightly, add a bit of mass so the SG would give us a weight range we wanted etc to produce what looked on screen a profile of a putter I wanted to throw (somewhere between a Jokeri and a Wizard so admittedly I had some pretty good starting points to go from) and after dropping a few thousand pounds on the mold produced a disc that everyone who's thrown it has loved and pretty much uniformly bagged. Here's former World Record holder Ken Jarvis casually launching one https://www.instagram.com/p/BwiJV6Li1cV/

I would reckon Paul could get behind a designer and from his knowledge of discs get them to recreate something he would expect to work well with a few tweaks on something he already likes. Even if that conversation was as basic as I would like a Destroyer with a bit more dome to get a bit more glide and turn.

That's not disparaging the role of the engineer but R and D on new discs doesn't involve wind tunnels and hitech science, it involves tweaking what's already there with known constants (how wing height, PLH, dome and more are likely to have an effective on flight etc a lot of my known constants were picked up from years of reading on this and other forums)

On the missing things side I was after an easy to throw fairway driver and had specified a 1.7 cms rim in the original brief and just before I was about to approve it noticed the designer had given me a 2.2cms rim, I'm not normally very good at proofing things but got lucky that day!
Old 06-27-2019, 06:21 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Niced 628 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
Interesting. Random Joe here sat behind a CAD designer who had never heard of Disc Golf and in 15 minutes asked him to draw up a disc shape and then heighten the wing, flatten the top a bit, increase the bead slightly, change the diameter slightly, add a bit of mass so the SG would give us a weight range we wanted etc to produce what looked on screen a profile of a putter I wanted to throw (somewhere between a Jokeri and a Wizard so admittedly I had some pretty good starting points to go from) and after dropping a few thousand pounds on the mold produced a disc that everyone who's thrown it has loved and pretty much uniformly bagged. Here's former World Record holder Ken Jarvis casually launching one https://www.instagram.com/p/BwiJV6Li1cV/

I would reckon Paul could get behind a designer and from his knowledge of discs get them to recreate something he would expect to work well with a few tweaks on something he already likes. Even if that conversation was as basic as I would like a Destroyer with a bit more dome to get a bit more glide and turn.

That's not disparaging the role of the engineer but R and D on new discs doesn't involve wind tunnels and hitech science, it involves tweaking what's already there with known constants (how wing height, PLH, dome and more are likely to have an effective on flight etc a lot of my known constants were picked up from years of reading on this and other forums)

On the missing things side I was after an easy to throw fairway driver and had specified a 1.7 cms rim in the original brief and just before I was about to approve it noticed the designer had given me a 2.2cms rim, I'm not normally very good at proofing things but got lucky that day!
The Destoryer like disc Paul McBeth is using, the Kong looks like a flatter domed Destroyer with a slightly different wing, more pronouncement. Disc Has to be flatter domed from the stuff I am seeing, the few taller domed discs in videos are more OS and like a 12 speed Nuke OS or a Excalibur/Tee Rex.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naphish View Post
It is probably part of his contract, like a bonus. :-)
No that seems unlikely. I think that Discraft might give Paul the Baskets be they Discraft or side company DGA basket at dealer/wholesale cost due to how expensive a top level basket is.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:31 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 113
Niced 47 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelton View Post
Any idea where this course will be?
Virginia. They bought a nice property out there with a lot of land. During the off season they have posted a few videos of them out on the course working on it. They also have built a full gym as well. I think he has said in interviews that he wants to make it a world class course and it seems like he wants a perfect off season training ground as well.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Virginia. They bought a nice property out there with a lot of land. During the off season they have posted a few videos of them out on the course working on it. They also have built a full gym as well. I think he has said in interviews that he wants to make it a world class course and it seems like he wants a perfect off season training ground as well.
Sounds like McBeth is making a course and facility for people to get disc golf training at after Paul is done being a touring pro and in the off season for now, with the making of the whole gym facility as well as the course. Might also plan on having some tournaments on the property at some point as well.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-27-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 76
Niced 140 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:

Just the state name I was hoping to hear, thanks, I'm guessing it's near Lynchburg where he bought a house.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 38.1
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 178 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
No that seems unlikely. I think that Discraft might give Paul the Baskets be they Discraft or side company DGA basket at dealer/wholesale cost due to how expensive a top level basket is.
i would think that it would be a great investment into the brand , Paul throws Discraft and if you play at his course there will be Discraft baskets. long term i think it would be a wise investment.

but then again i don't really care how he got them. it's just a super cool touch to have as a trophy.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naphish View Post
i would think that it would be a great investment into the brand , Paul throws Discraft and if you play at his course there will be Discraft baskets. long term i think it would be a wise investment.

but then again i don't really care how he got them. it's just a super cool touch to have as a trophy.
Paul could use the basket he is most comfortable using from DGA/Discraft. I am not sure what that is. I would not be suprised if Paul used the Discraft Basket now that since last year Discraft has had the Chainstar Pro that has the Modern era Disc catcher size bottom. I just hope that Paul does not cheep out and use the Chainstar Lite, that is only Legal for up to a point be it C Tier or B Tier tournaments