Old 05-15-2016, 12:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,511 Times in 1,565 Posts

Probably has to do with your off arm not countering the throw. If you practice throw in a pool you will figure out the counter swim move that PP, GG, and Avery use.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2016, 02:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,453 Times in 1,561 Posts

Sounds good, I'll focus on that arm as I know that's one of the main issues currently. I wish I could throw like Paige Pierce.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

I had a field session today, and focusing on loading my shoulders in the reachback and then getting my left hand down to my thigh helped tighten things up and get a really consistent release angle/minimal spray to the right, and feel good balance. I am still having nose angle issues, which were amplified by a headwind one direction and tailwind the other direction. But I can tell it's the right direction, since putters were flying really well (they don't care about slight nose up). The arm speed on drivers feels good, but with better arm speed and slightly wrong nose angles comes either distance killing stalls or some pretty hefty turnovers aided by the wind towards the ground. It'll get sorted out, it's improving, but annoying to not see the disc "do the work" and how far I could be throwing.

But, my FH has gone to crap. I tried changing the form to keep the elbow more in/as a unit and just "going for it" like it's my real throw, and it was bad. I toned it down a bit and the hit feels mushy still, where the disc wants to leave early and drag on my fingers rather than snap off like my old throw. I suppose I need to start off slow with the putters and mids from within 150' again. I think I was trying too hard to not lead at all with my elbow, rather than just not as much as I was.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:42 PM
* Ace Member *

After watching more pro FH video I see that they lead the elbow a bit and the arm releases around it. Today I worked on my FH on the course as an adjustment rather than overhaul, and it was successful. It will take time to adjust as I have some wobbles, but I already have at least as much velocity. With putters and mids it was a bit hard to range stuff farther than 100' because with ~70% the effort I would get the same distance as before. Very easy 200'+ putter flicks. I'm looking forward to gaining consistency and losing OAT so I can put more into it. I am having problems with the disc sliding off my middle finger occasionally (2 finger stacked grip).

But just to put this in perspective if anyone is having issues, before it felt like I was getting arm speed into a "snap", the whole "steely stop" stuff that used to be talked about made sense. What I was doing today (and have felt occasionally in the past on FH hyzer shots more often than flat shots) is that the arm just swings with a pop/sling of the disc. It feels more like a slinging motion rather than a crack the whip motion.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Ok I shot some video today. I'm keeping my rear arm in more than before, but 95% of the time it's not driving inwards like McBeth. The sideview throw is a Teebird...I don't know how far because it was 5' high (so hit the ground probably 300-330' away) but it just blasted out of my hand. When I found that shot in video...I got my back arm in nice and tight and it made my balance proper. I'll keep working on getting my back arm down and in/close, it obviously is keeping me balanced.

Is my X-step direction better than before? Am I too tilted over (in hyzer type of body angle...look at the behind view shot, that was a flat release line drive)?

When I slowed down all my side view shots I am getting the disc off plane by my right pec, my forearm is above my elbow and then it fixes itself when I am swinging out to release. I need to work on keeping my planes proper. Maybe I'm telling myself to "drive" too hard into the power pocket and that is compressing things/getting my disc above my elbow. Either way I need to fix it.

I'm not seeing distance increases yet, but I'm honing in on what is making the good throws happen, to get those motions more consistent.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

The side-view you aren't getting forward from behind you, your stride is too far away/off line. Your elbow should pass over the front knee. Your elbow stays behind the knee/balance behind heel.

The behind tee, your balance is slightly better and finish forward, but not really getting weight into front from behind as your stride is not inline enough.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Elbow over front knee - cool I'll think of it that way. Does it feel like your plant leg bows out to the right after the throw when you are striding toward the target more like that? (You can see in AJ video how his knee does that as well...is this ok?)

I'm hoping that getting this direction correct will help my hips open more "at" the target like Paige Pierce...I definitely keep noticing my hips are angled rather than forward at the hit.

Also AJ has the high to low pull from reachback. Obviously I will keep trying to sort out my planes. But do you think this robs power as well, or is it more a consistency issue? (When I get lazy I am more likely to turn stuff over and it is very obvious when I look at the slow-mo of my throws why that happens)
Old 05-26-2016, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

After the throw - in the finish? It just feels like a dynamically angled squat/thrust into the hit, then the pivot is almost weightless so there's very little pressure. It looks like you lift your toes up early, so you get flat footed/balance behind heel too much.

Not quite sure what you mean by your hips at the hit. The turn angle is not really important, look at Wiggins hips inline to target. He gets full hip "turn" via extension.

Avery's swing is slightly high to low or anhyzer/nose down, but he is totally upright and his swing plane is relatively horizontal/flat. His footwork is spectacular.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:45 PM
* Ace Member *

So in a couple shots it seems like Paige gets very fast hip rotation, you can see how they are facing forward just after release. But I saw some other shots that look more closed. Looking at Wiggins and some other power throwers I can see that they don't need to open fully forwards. I was thinking of the analogy to a baseball swing where your hips are typically 90 degrees when you release the bat. But this is not the same here.

In the shot of Will from the front, you can see how is leg is rotated and his plant knee is "outwards" (red), while I am drawing his brace axis as the blue arrow. But, I also looked at lots of thrower's footage and can see that this is pretty typical.

I haven't experienced the whole "upward" release at pivot, but I can see that in lots of video of pro's. I'll try to work on how I transfer into that foot (direction of transfer and angle of brace).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP and WS.jpg (84.2 KB, 386 views)

Old 06-09-2016, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

I had a bit of a breakthrough with my left arm today. I need to throw some shots in the field to see what my distances are. But, I just wanted to bump this to see if this is an appropriate way to think about it:

I watched this video, specifically Cat's left arm:

It looks like she's just punching straight down. Instead of doing a Schusterick-like turn away and then trying to get my shoulder and arm in, I tried just going from left shoulder/elbow at the target, to punching downwards. It is a conceptually different thing...not bring the arm in but down. First shot trying it I nearly put a star Teebird into a slightly uphill (6-10') basket 320' away on a frozen rope that was never higher than the basket.

I'm excited to try this some more and I hope that it solves some of my problems. I've also been feeling more comfortable with getting the transfer to my plant foot, but I still have to get my exact balance sorted. I did bomb a few drives this week that felt great.