Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Anyways, to summarize thumb push is feeling like that pop/push on the flight plate during a putt. I hope that's what it should be like?
Maybe . . . honestly if you talk about putting you're going to lose me lol

It wasn't something I had to focus on RH, but when I switched to LH everything was nose up until I really focused on it. The feeling I'm trying to have is like crushing a Tums between my thumb and pointer finger; you aren't just going to push straight down into it; you're going to grind it with your thumb pushing forward.

A buddy I played with needed to throw LH for a couple of weeks, and it helped a similar issue for him.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2019, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,514 Times in 1,566 Posts

It almost literally is a submarine pitch but mirrored backhand so the back of the front shoulder swings forward instead of the front of the back shoulder swinging forward. Pitcher starts with big proud chest and compresses chest into finish. Backhand starts with compressed chest(GG/PP/Avery -starting with hands crossed) and finishes with big proud chest and hands separated.

A pitcher starts with the glove/left arm swimming the body forward and tucks into center which ripples out the right shoulder bigger/faster to arm/disc. Backhand is the mirrored with the left arm, tuck in then swim out. Both have left shoulder tight radius, right shoulder big radius - whip the back side of the right shoulder forward.

You rotate so far back around that your left elbow is closer to target than your center and even though you keep the arm close to body, it's going out around you during the swing instead of anchoring your center, so your shoulders spin more as a unit in place, rather than getting the right shoulder swing forward bigger than left shoulder. Your rear hand continues forward thru instead of swimming the rest of the body forward. In door frame dill, left elbow should never be behind your back if all your weight is leveraging forward.

I never feel the disc in my palm, I hold it as far out of the palm as possible for bigger whip.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-27-2019, 02:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,457 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
A pitcher starts with the glove/left arm swimming the body forward and tucks into center which ripples out the right shoulder bigger/faster to arm/disc. Backhand is the mirrored with the left arm, tuck in then swim out. Both have left shoulder tight radius, right shoulder big radius - whip the back side of the right shoulder forward.

...so your shoulders spin more as a unit in place, rather than getting the right shoulder swing forward bigger than left shoulder.
This is excellent. I can feel this, and I remember a month or two ago when I was getting left shoulder forward in BH as my focus and I was lacing line drives easy. One ThB shot in particular was high-level power line drive, 45' deeper than normal at no more effort on pure pushing hyzer.

So I understand how this happens, the shoulders are spinning centered around the spine, right? But translationally in space, the left shoulder is moving in a more linear path toward the plant so the right shoulder moves on a longer path through space?

And in the RHBH backswing the right shoulder is mirrored moving on a shorter path to the rear foot in feel, so this is why it feels like it remains still locationally as you move forward and load?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
This is excellent. I can feel this, and I remember a month or two ago when I was getting left shoulder forward in BH as my focus and I was lacing line drives easy. One ThB shot in particular was high-level power line drive, 45' deeper than normal at no more effort on pure pushing hyzer.

So I understand how this happens, the shoulders are spinning centered around the spine, right? But translationally in space, the left shoulder is moving in a more linear path toward the plant so the right shoulder moves on a longer path through space?

And in the RHBH backswing the right shoulder is mirrored moving on a shorter path to the rear foot in feel, so this is why it feels like it remains still locationally as you move forward and load?
I agree with the first part.

Right shoulder swings back in backswing the same as forward with longer than left shoulder swing. Left shoulder feels centered back and forth, right shoulder swings back and forth wider, like it would be wider all the way around.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

This is the most promising my throw has looked, it gives me hope I'll be able to get to a high level form...hopefully in the near future.

I swung a hammer and bat around a lot as practice to feel that pendulum and really try to understand why my righty golf swing plane is good, but I can't do it moving toward my right leg/RHBH direction. Mirroring it back and forth and then having one hand on a baseball bat at the taper of the barrel helped me feel how to anchor my hips and pull the bat through RHBH.

I then threw a bunch of upward turnovers/anny shots today, and that helped me feel how to go from low to high but still needing to keep the nose down. I think throwing anny/turnover was more useful for me because it exposed if I had nose up or down more than a hyzer, and also throwing the flatter/anny release made me stand more upright.

First clip is a low power turnover, it felt very natural. It took much a bunch of shots to figure out how to throw close to flat without too much hyzer, and then a bunch more shots to feel how to keep the disc down instead of throwing too high/slight stall. Second clip is a lower trajectory slight hyzer release that felt good.

I did get ahold of a couple of 10' high hyzer flips today with this feel that got very good carry, made my mid look like a fairway in flight.

But it's hard to figure out that nose angle swing/pivot at the last instant...it either feels like I need to get a long arm extension to really get the disc "forward" and then it stays low. It either feels like arm extension with a very nice and upright body, rear knee under hip. Or, a few throws felt like I had more torso lean forward and that helped me stay over the disc as it extended away from me, keeping it down.

This was the first day I've had my throw look like this so I'd like to know what to aim for. I also know I am still drifting like 4-6" too leftward on my plant step when I throw with any power.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:46 PM
* Ace Member *

You are a little behind your left foot as your front foot crosses forward and really cranking your left elbow behind you instead of turning your hips/body more. Your left elbow ends up flying out around instead of being in tight.

You want to drive your hips forward laterally sooner in the stride - Hershyzer and Kick the Can and keep your rear elbow forward in front of your body/chest in backswing instead of behind your back.

If you standstill and put your left hand on inner thigh like Marc Jarvis and make a backswing, the front shoulder should swing back straight back and the left shoulder will clear out the way to the left(not back around targetward) out of the way while still leveraged. If you pause at the top of the backswing both shoulders stack over rear foot, then leverage everything together forward laterally closed with arm/disc lagged back as you go to plant/crush the can.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah I am aware of that silly rear elbow going away from target...

Quote:
If you standstill and put your left hand on inner thigh like Marc Jarvis and make a backswing, the front shoulder should swing back straight back and the left shoulder will clear out the way to the left(not back around targetward) out of the way while still leveraged. If you pause at the top of the backswing both shoulders stack over rear foot, then leverage everything together forward laterally closed with arm/disc lagged back as you go to plant/crush the can.
This feels much better. Makes sense that I can't make the left shoulder turn targetward in backswing...because then its next step has to be to turn back the same path which is farther away from the target. Another ingrained bad habit I somehow got from that Schusterick driving tutorial years ago.

Just to be clear, by my left shoulder clearing to the left...do you mean kind of away from the target as in to the left of my initial standstill setup from my own perspective?

Either way, this gave me a new cue to be way more leveraged on the rear leg and I feel like I have to move targetward more easily, which goes with what you are saying.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Correct your left.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:00 AM
Par Member

Niced 142 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
It almost literally is a submarine pitch but mirrored backhand so the back of the front shoulder swings forward instead of the front of the back shoulder swinging forward.
As an example: backhanding a bowling ball, where the back of your hand leads the ball and the swing arc gets wider and finishes upwards? Instead of a pulling motion where you collapse your arm into your arm pit? If I understood that correctly?

Old 07-15-2019, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
As an example: backhanding a bowling ball, where the back of your hand leads the ball and the swing arc gets wider and finishes upwards? Instead of a pulling motion where you collapse your arm into your arm pit? If I understood that correctly?
Yep.