Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 854 Times in 383 Posts

If you don't like Ledgestone, don't watch it, don't play it. It's honestly that simple.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,891 Times in 1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
My pet peeve is events that rob the bottom players to boost the top payout.
That was (and still is) my pet peeve with chess tournaments. And I did not run my tournaments that way. But some did, and argued vehemently for that system. I suppose it comes down to what the organizer (TD in Disc Golf parlance) is trying to do...
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,064 Times in 1,331 Posts

Lol gimmicky course? It's disc golf...we throw frisbees at metal grills. Come on people.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 170
Niced 562 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
My pet peeve is events that rob the bottom players to boost the top payout.
And Im the opposite. My pet peeve is that payouts are so deep. If I dont finish near the top then I dont deserve to get paid out. Give the money to the people who played the best not to the mediocre field. I wish that the pdga didnt have payout table we had to follow. I know you can unsanction and do whatever but this is just my ideal world.

Im probably in the minority with this thinking but everyone is different

Old 06-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 83
Niced 135 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
And Im the opposite. My pet peeve is that payouts are so deep. If I dont finish near the top then I dont deserve to get paid out. Give the money to the people who played the best not to the mediocre field. I wish that the pdga didnt have payout table we had to follow. I know you can unsanction and do whatever but this is just my ideal world.

Im probably in the minority with this thinking but everyone is different
I've always thought this post from the DGPT explaining why deep payouts matter for a sustainable tour makes a lot of sense.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
I've always thought this post from the DGPT explaining why deep payouts matter for a sustainable tour makes a lot of sense.
Ohh it does. It makes a lot of sense. I just think most of the touring pros are slightly delusional in thinking that they can actually make a living off of disc golf. Deeper payouts will keep some of the pros out on tour longer but I feel like its only a matter of time til they realize its just not cutting it.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 128
Niced 854 Times in 383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Ohh it does. It makes a lot of sense. I just think most of the touring pros are slightly delusional in thinking that they can actually make a living off of disc golf. Deeper payouts will keep some of the pros out on tour longer but I feel like its only a matter of time til they realize its just not cutting it.
........ok.

Your point?

Who are we to judge why someone decides to tour? I mean I don't think Lloyd Weema is out there for glory and money.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 75
Niced 23 Times in 10 Posts

To develop bigger fields and prestigious tournament and a larger pool of "good" and "great" players, there needs to be an increased number of pros who dedicate their life to disc golf. This can only happen by deepening the pro payout and increasing the purses. Simple as that. Sure an aspiring pro may start to tour before they are ready. If they are able to survive those first couple of year and improve their skill and consistency, not only will they start cashing more, but the purses and fields will get bigger and make it more viable for more pros to start touring. The net result for us who spectate will be more big tournaments with high stakes and more coverage. Imagine having 3+ Jomez/CCDG/Gatekeeper/ParSave tier coverage teams at large events nearly every weekend of the season. We are slowly working towards that but the money has to keep coming in and growing.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
........ok.

Your point?

Who are we to judge why someone decides to tour? I mean I don't think Lloyd Weema is out there for glory and money.
That I dont think deep payouts are all that great, thats it. Just my point of view.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Par Member

Niced 62 Times in 35 Posts

For those in favor of a deep payout, how deep are we talking? Obviously if we payout 100% of the field, that would be a joke and only heavily sponsored players could tour. So if you agree 100% is too much, what's the amount you think is just right?

45% seems too high to me. 45% makes it so thin at the bottom of those that cash, that it doesn't give you enough tour. I say, take all those spots that pay out under $300 (for the major tournaments) and spread them over the top 25%-33%. It makes it less of a struggle for the 1000-1020 rated players to tour.