Old 06-24-2019, 08:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,487 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I am constantly telling players that the giant reachback does nothing in the woods of Virginia but endanger trees.
James Conrad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUWAtEQEuk#t=9m20s
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 70 Posts

I find a longer backswing helps load the levers.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 145
Niced 98 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Catapults/trebuchets use a sling to whip.

Seppo "reaching back".

I just swing back and forth like a pendulum, if I want more distance I swing back longer away from my center of gravity moving forward.
Are you saying that a "reach back" is similar to a catapult launch, pretty much straight back and straight through? That seems to help with my accuracy, pulling straight through to the target.
But a whip, where the "backswing" is actually curled across the chest, is like an actual whip, curled up and then unleashed with a crack!? It feels like that would lead to accuracy problems, finding that right time to release on target, when your arm is not moving in a straight plane.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 134 Times in 78 Posts

Tip of the whip makes sense... in fact, that's the most salient point I gleaned from this discussion:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=132500, the difference being that the OP there said he was keeping the throwing arm passive and cranking up the initial angular acceleration with a low radius twist (forcing the trailing arm held close to pass around the body) with the throwing arm then unfurling like a whip.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,487 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmay5 View Post
Are you saying that a "reach back" is similar to a catapult launch, pretty much straight back and straight through? That seems to help with my accuracy, pulling straight through to the target.
But a whip, where the "backswing" is actually curled across the chest, is like an actual whip, curled up and then unleashed with a crack!? It feels like that would lead to accuracy problems, finding that right time to release on target, when your arm is not moving in a straight plane.
A towel that is already curled up will not whip as hard as one being dynamically curled.

Ever use a Sling Shot - pull it further back and it elastically slings/whips/springs further, same thing with a pendulum. Also goes straight much more consistently.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,183 Times in 1,024 Posts

Not really clear or helpful IMO. Seppo definitely reaches back. Reach back is just poor nomenclature for a back swing that's a by-product of getting your body positioned and loading up for the throw. He doesn't explain the difference between "sling" (poor word choice again) and "whip." I think by sling he means strong arming or rounding where you don't really get the multiplier effect created by using leverage. If you consciously reach back and then pull on a straight line without the levers doing anything your velocity ceiling is capped pretty hard. But slinging the disc out on a leveraged arc is exactly the goal so that's gonna confuse people.

Niced: (3)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 29
Niced 304 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Not really clear or helpful IMO. Seppo definitely reaches back. Reach back is just poor nomenclature for a back swing that's a by-product of getting your body positioned and loading up for the throw. He doesn't explain the difference between "sling" (poor word choice again) and "whip." I think by sling he means strong arming or rounding where you don't really get the multiplier effect created by using leverage. If you consciously reach back and then pull on a straight line without the levers doing anything your velocity ceiling is capped pretty hard. But slinging the disc out on a leveraged arc is exactly the goal so that's gonna confuse people.
I actually thought he was referring to the power pocket, where the whip throw gets into the power pocket and the sling throw does not.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,183 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
I actually thought he was referring to the power pocket, where the whip throw gets into the power pocket and the sling throw does not.
Well that's rounding in a nut shell. Power pocket is more of a bent-elbow characteristic though and not necessarily the only way to big distance. Power pocket isn't as noticeable to players with Swedish style or really wide-rails. A lot of the same stuff is happening but the "pocket" is bigger and hard to distinguish.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 472 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Reachback era is over?

It was over years ago.

Working around the disc/door frame drills etc been around on the youtubes for at least 5 years.

I don't really know what DD is talking about with the sling as he doesn't describe it, it sounds like he's talking about a throw with the hand leading the disc. The whip is just leveraging the far side of the disc and doing it with a loose whipping arm, there're a few ways to achieve this but it's as simple as that really. Something that has been discussed ad infintum on here for years and before that less clearly on DGR and before that the PDGA forums with DD himself. What's changed in the last few years is SW22's body mechanics stuff that helps set the body up for the most powerful leverage of that disc (which are now being roundly ignored by Disc Golfs form messiah who doesn't understand them and we're back to focusing on byproducts of other mechanisms, yippee....)

Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,510 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
There are exceptions to everything. A typical player neither has the natural talent James does nor have they been playing since they were 8.

Matt Hammersten is an even better example. He throws with what i like to call "internet technique" very successfully and has risen to a high rating in a pretty short time. He is also a good dude and very willing to teach. This has resulted in a bunch of amateur players in NOVA who are so caught up in worrying about how they are throwing that they have no idea where they are throwing.

Niced: (1)