Old 03-05-2019, 05:30 AM

Niced 12 Times in 6 Posts
Default Lake Tahoe

I’m going out to California with my wife and dad sometime between mid July and early August and we’re planning on staying in Tahoe for a week or so. First off, we are thinking about playing a tourney while out there and were wondering what would be the better choice between the Tahoe pro/am at Bijou or Mountain Mayhem at Kirkwood? My dad has played Bijou in the past and says it’s a solid course plus that tourney seems to have more prestige but I figured I’d ask just in case. Also if we are only able to bag 1 other course I would imagine Zephyr would be the choice?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 527
Niced 794 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williskaw View Post
I’m going out to California with my wife and dad sometime between mid July and early August and we’re planning on staying in Tahoe for a week or so. First off, we are thinking about playing a tourney while out there and were wondering what would be the better choice between the Tahoe pro/am at Bijou or Mountain Mayhem at Kirkwood? My dad has played Bijou in the past and says it’s a solid course plus that tourney seems to have more prestige but I figured I’d ask just in case. Also if we are only able to bag 1 other course I would imagine Zephyr would be the choice?
I would choose Tahoe Pro Am. Bijou is a solid 27 hole course. It is also "in town" compared to Kirkwood. You could finish rounds at Bijou and get back to your hotel or campground easily. I absolutely love the Kirkwood Ski Resort course, but a tournament there would be a lot of hard work climbing up and down the mountain each day plus the drive. Playing in high elevation is also a challenge, so you would want to play this event only after you have been up in Tahoe for a few days adjusting. Tahoe is about 6,200 elevation. Kirwood is 7,800 to 9,800.

As for Tahoe courses, there are many, many quality courses in the area. Bijou DGC is a jewel. (Bijou means jewel in French). However, Bijou is flat and most of the Tahoe area courses offer abundant elevation changes. Zephyr Cove has excellent disc golf and excellent views of the Lake and Mountains. I also love playing North Tahoe Regional Park. About 1/2 drive South is Turtle Rock Park, another fine 18 hole course with camping on site.

I love Tahoe, I will be going back to Tahoe as many times as possible until I finish playing "All...The...Courses"! Trouble is, they are installing new courses every year so I can't keep up. There is a new resort course at Donner Ski Ranch at the top of my list.

Tahoe also has excellent recreation opportunities beyond disc golf. Hiking, Biking, Camping, Kayaking, Gambling, Boating, 4-wheeling, etc, etc, etc.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

Kirkwood is my favorite in the Tahoe area, but the tournament holds little interest for me due to the decision to use a shotgun start. Who the hell wants to climb 500 vertical feet right before they tee off? Kirkwood is also rumored to be moved to a new location this year and designed by someone who's primary qualification is a relationship with Vail Resorts. Tahoe Pro/Am would be my choice.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Exactly what Discette mentioned to a tee! Im sure you will drive around the lake this will give an opportunity to play any courses on the north shore with great views.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:10 AM

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Been there twice with buddies on our annual trip (to various locations)- it's amazing! Loved Zephyr for the views, Kirkwood was great, but I will say this: if you have any interest in playing glow, it's pretty hard to beat Turtle Rock. Play a round in the daytime, light up the course (I think we camped by hole #13), eat dinner then play right from/to your campsite!

It's also been pretty empty out there, and pretty as all get out.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 265
Niced 172 Times in 90 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

Slight thread jack, but not really. How's the camping at Turtle Rock? Is it hard to get a spot? Do they take reservations? Planning our next trip out west and Tahoe might be one of the stops so looking for some info myself.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 18
Niced 262 Times in 150 Posts

I love Lake Tahoe. One of my absolute favorite places I've visited, and that was only for skiing. I never even thought that it would be a haven for disc golf as well. Lucky you! Have fun
Old 03-26-2019, 04:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 156
Niced 732 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedSpace View Post
Been there twice with buddies on our annual trip (to various locations)- it's amazing! Loved Zephyr for the views, Kirkwood was great, but I will say this: if you have any interest in playing glow, it's pretty hard to beat Turtle Rock. Play a round in the daytime, light up the course (I think we camped by hole #13), eat dinner then play right from/to your campsite!

It's also been pretty empty out there, and pretty as all get out.
I liked Turtle Rock, and I guess you had a good time playing glow there, but I was thinking that course would be a nightmare for glow. Much of the first half of that course seemed like it was paved with rocks everywhere that were just the right size to twist your ankles on, especially in the dark. Bijou seemed much cleaner for glow, but just my 2 cents. Camping there is definitely a bonus, though.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 250
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
... I was thinking that course would be a nightmare for glow. Much of the first half of that course seemed like it was paved with rocks everywhere that were just the right size to twist your ankles on, especially in the dark. Bijou seemed much cleaner for glow, but just my 2 cents...
That's how I feel about glow at Turtle Rock and it's my home course.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:16 AM

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, but we're magic.

As are red lights on headlamps.

And for traveling discers, playing where you sleep is tight. Especially for glow, and especially when you feel like you're the only ones out there (we were.)

Niced: (1)