Old 01-04-2020, 10:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 453 Times in 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by air show View Post
Of all the pros I have watched on tour Ken Climo was mental dominate over all others and that included the crowd. His walk, his energy, and his demeanor controlled everything and everyone. He knew he was King Dick and he used it to his advantage... he was fun to watch.
Indeed. I'll never ever forget one instance, I think in the 1999 DGLO. He and Ron Russell were tied going into the last hole on the Final 9 they put on for spectators. It's a flex shot hole, left to right first over a bridge on a creek that runs parallel to the hole, then right to left for the second half. Woods long left in front of the tee if you miss the first turn of the flex shot, woods along the entire creek instead of the bridge, and woods long of the basket. (It's the final hole of Hudson Mills Monster. I haven't been there in a good 10 years so I don't know if it's still the same).

Russell was first and the drive slipped out of his hand, landing in the woods straight ahead instead of making the anny over the bridge.

Everybody there could see the look on Climo's face. He knew this was his opportunity. He knew he was going to pipe the throw and we knew he was going to pipe the throw. And he did perfectly. He was like a shark detecting blood in the water.

I've got it on tape somewhere. One of these days I'm going to get this stuff up and on YouTube.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:04 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
what is an example of sportsmanlike mental games in disc golf?
I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking these questions.

I find that varying my own style of play and apparent personality seems to impact the choices and moods of competitors. Some players, usually hyper-competitive types, seem to thrive in a grim, somber mood, which it is my joy to disrupt by being extremely casual and joyful and lighthearted. An unhesitating layup on a very "gettable" but dangerous hole can do interesting things if you are first on the tee. Silence is a tactic. Laughter is a tactic. Manipulating rules is a tactic (To do this it is important to know the rules. Appearing to break them is a very effective and passive way to unravel a sticklish opponent) Feigning a handicap is a tactic. Playing with a single disc is a tactic. Telling stories is a tactic. There are more.

I don't know if these things are sportsmanlike. I do know that my conscience does not allow me to treat others rudely and I do not. I'm a kind and friendly feller who sometimes gets bored with the routine of tournaments. Since I move around a lot and never play the same events over again, I can entertain myself by approaching each round or event with whatever persona and playing style I wish.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 415
Niced 642 Times in 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
gamespersonship
This is offensive to me. I don't identify as a "person".

Old 01-05-2020, 08:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.5
Courses Played: 52
Niced 673 Times in 289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
what is an example of sportsmanlike mental games in disc golf?
There are none. Attempting to gain an advantage by getting in someones' head is by definition unsportsmanlike. I love it when someone tries it on me during a tournament. It tells me that he's afraid, insecure about his skill level. It boosts my confidence to think that he's scared enough to do stuff like that to gain an advantage on me, and it's at that moment that I realize I'm already inside his head without even trying. Spending too much effort trying to affect someone else's game also takes away from yours. Projecting confidence in all circumstances is probably the only mental game you need.

Niced: (4)
Old 01-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 64
Niced 218 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
gamespersonship
Touche

Niced: (1)
Old 01-05-2020, 09:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 64
Niced 218 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
This is offensive to me. I don't identify as a "person".
No this individual gets it!

Old 01-05-2020, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 145
Niced 453 Times in 195 Posts

I'm still of the mindset from long ago that this is a happy hippie sport with specialized, holy Frisbees. Negativity of any sort is beneath us. We're different than the other projectile sports, and that's why we continue to grow at the astronomical rate we have been consistently growing. So long as no obvious jerks are nearby, I'm rooting for everybody to do as well as they can, even in tournaments, and any gathering on the course is a holy experience of like-minded positivity and fun.

This doesn't mean performance takes a back seat. I believe our scores are as sacred as the Discs themselves, as is the whole experience.

Even our PDGA numbers are sacred and special. I always look for addresses that have my PDGA number or my friends' PDGA numbers when I'm gazing out the passenger window of a vehicle. I got excited one day when the serial number of a vinyl record matched my buddy's number. It was a Pearl Bailey album.

Ultimately, I believe all of this rubs off on everybody on the tee, up the fairway, and around the basket, and scores tend to be lower as a result. Plus the sport grows (as it consistently and positively has for decade after decade) and we get more courses and more Discs.

My role in a tournament is to do as well as I can numerically AND for camaraderie, and where I end up on the leader board is where I end up.

Friendly banter (like saying "nice up!" on a putt that's too short to razz a friend you know well) while playing casually falls into the "camaraderie" aspect and is perfectly fine.

So that's my take. Mind games of negativity can take place in the other sports that are based in the culture of the brutish industrial revolution. We're different and far superior.

And yes, I always capitalize "Disc" and "Disc Golf" because of its prominent place in my life. I'm not a religious person until I pull into the parking lot of a Disc Golf course, or even if I'm discussing Disc Golf out in the regular world. I suppose this makes me a Frisbeetarian.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
There are none. Attempting to gain an advantage by getting in someones' head is by definition unsportsmanlike. I love it when someone tries it on me during a tournament. It tells me that he's afraid, insecure about his skill level. It boosts my confidence to think that he's scared enough to do stuff like that to gain an advantage on me, and it's at that moment that I realize I'm already inside his head without even trying. Spending too much effort trying to affect someone else's game also takes away from yours. Projecting confidence in all circumstances is probably the only mental game you need.
Well, I've never been afraid of anything on a disc golf course. But I invite my opponents inside my head from the outset. Tournament frisbee is for me a human experiment that has nothing to do with winning or losing and barely anything to do with throwing discs. Spending effort on trying to understand someone else"s mind is interesting. Trying to win a slow-motion game is not. Projecting confidence? I'm confident that Math will have its way with me. Meanwhile I like to look across the yard into the neighbor's windows.

The consensus seems to be that even among very competitive players, intentionally manipulating opponents mentally is unsportsmanlike, unnecessary, impossible, overlooked, or some combination. This may be true. If so, it may be that disc golf has fewer truly competitive participants than it appears, which is nice.