Old 01-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 338 Times in 104 Posts

You think that's a puzzle, try this one: There's a neighborhood course near me that exists currently, was listed, kept getting marked "extinct," then resurrected, and back and forth (has always existed, even expanded recently!), yet now isn't even listed in extinct courses. It's in a gated community, but I don't get why it can't just be marked as private, or reservation only?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2020, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,213 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Here's a situation I somewhat do not understand. The original Buhlow course, https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5403, was transformed into two separate courses using the existing 18 holes. Those 18 are still there, even original 12 that doesn't make a part of either of the new courses. If I am going to go play one round, I play the "extinct" course, because it's the best of the three layouts.
Perhaps it's just a matter of someone taking the time to contact Tim, and do the work to revise the listing (or enter it as 2 courses).
Old 01-28-2020, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake833 View Post
You think that's a puzzle, try this one: There's a neighborhood course near me that exists currently, was listed, kept getting marked "extinct," then resurrected, and back and forth (has always existed, even expanded recently!), yet now isn't even listed in extinct courses. It's in a gated community, but I don't get why it can't just be marked as private, or reservation only?
Maybe the owners don't want to?

The answer is probably one of two things: Someone who doesn't want it listed, and maliciously keeps deleting it; or it shouldn't be listed, but someone keeps adding it back without authorization.

Either is possible, but my money's on the latter.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 338 Times in 104 Posts

It's really more of the former (though I wouldn't say it's malicious). I think there may be an issue of trying to keep it under HOA radar and they don't want people coming in and out of the gate in noticeable quantity. Though I feel like disc golf isn't big enough here to make that a problem, and it could easily be emphasized in the course description. We already have a place up there that's strictly call-ahead-before-you-come and that's been no problem for them
Old 01-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 343
Niced 380 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake833 View Post
It's really more of the former (though I wouldn't say it's malicious). I think there may be an issue of trying to keep it under HOA radar and they don't want people coming in and out of the gate in noticeable quantity. Though I feel like disc golf isn't big enough here to make that a problem, and it could easily be emphasized in the course description. We already have a place up there that's strictly call-ahead-before-you-come and that's been no problem for them
That happened to Eagle's Landing in Hannah (Charleston), SC. The course was pulled completely because the HOA didn't realize it would bring (the wrong kind of) people into the neighborhood. And by 'people' I mean anyone who didn't live in the neighborhood, aka, 'not rich enough' to be seen in the neighborhood.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by DiscGolfCraig; 01-28-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 889 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Perhaps it's just a matter of someone taking the time to contact Tim, and do the work to revise the listing (or enter it as 2 courses).
Would have to be three. There's already two listed.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Would have to be three. There's already two listed.
Ah, I misunderstood. So there are 2 distinct 18-hole layouts, and you can play the old layout which now consists of holes from the other two? That is, the 3rd layout doesn't offer any holes that aren't on the 2 listed?

Old 01-28-2020, 07:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 889 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Ah, I misunderstood. So there are 2 distinct 18-hole layouts, and you can play the old layout which now consists of holes from the other two? That is, the 3rd layout doesn't offer any holes that aren't on the 2 listed?
Yes to #1. The original layout had one hole that is not part of the two new courses, but does share a basket with one of them.