Old 02-01-2020, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,425 Times in 825 Posts

I do not understand the Brodie hate. He plays ball golf, so he is not going to be disruptive during the round.

Is it from those whom want disc golf to stay niche?
Is it from those whom are scared of a higher caliber of physical athleticism coming into our game?
Maybe it's a little of both, maybe it's fear that the jocks are going to come in and push out the current players?

I tend to root for the MJ's, the Jone' s, the GG's... you know, the nice guys. I started out following this to see how someone very athletic, with the correct build, picks up the game*. I was very ambivalent on Brodies success but this is triggering my contrarian nature. Put me in the camp of cheering for him to go 1000 rated by August.

*Kevin Jones is very athletic, so is Climo. One does not have the classic throwers build, the other past his prime when the current class of discs and courses came about.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2020, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,592 Times in 613 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

One thing I've noticed here are people who claim there are "haters" never quote the "haters".

I don't see haters, I see debate. If you can't handle someone being skeptical about his play this year without calling them haters then that's on you not them.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 108
Niced 628 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
One thing I've noticed here are people who claim there are "haters" never quote the "haters".

I don't see haters, I see debate. If you can't handle someone being skeptical about his play this year without calling them haters then that's on you not them.
You may want to start from the beginning of the thread. See posts #2-5 for example. I'm sure there are more along these lines in the thread, too.

And I'm not holding anyone's opinion against them. I just think that these types of posts are where some of the perceived "hate" comes from.

Last edited by Jimb; 02-01-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
You may want to start from the beginning of the thread. See posts #2-5 for example. I'm sure there are more along these lines in the thread, too.

And I'm not holding anyone's opinion against them. I just think that these types of posts are where some of the perceived "hate" comes from.
So he's annoying? That's what I read from those posts and it seems quite a few agree.

I wouldn't call that hating Brodie, I call it hate being annoyed. I don't know anyone who wants a loud card mate during tournaments.

But at least you pointed to some examples, thanks.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 108
Niced 628 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
So he's annoying? That's what I read from those posts and it seems quite a few agree.

I wouldn't call that hating Brodie, I call it hate being annoyed. I don't know anyone who wants a loud card mate during tournaments.

But at least you pointed to some examples, thanks.
I never claimed that it was hate either, which is why I said "perceived" hate.

It's definitely a fine line and some people have thicker skin than others.

Last edited by Jimb; 02-01-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 109 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
That might be tru, but i still think 5% is low
Jomez has 171k subs. . . and their latest videos around 60-90k views , around 30-50% of their subs
Most of Jomez subscribers are just few years old. Brodie has had lot's of subscribers for, I don't 5-10 years? I bet most of the subscribers aren't active anymore (the focus of his channel has likely changed since his active ultimate years, to ball golf and now disc golf), i.e. the subscriber number could be quite inflated.

Niced: (3)
Old 02-01-2020, 01:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,334 Times in 745 Posts

I don't know Brodie, so I have no desire to waste emotional energy hating a stranger. I did try to watch that round he played with Paul and Simon. He was rather annoying which made the video unwatchable for me. I don't wish him failure but I also don't expect instant success.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 670 Times in 288 Posts

He'll be a novelty for a while. He'll have big galleries of the curious for the first few events but I don't see him breaking out in any major way this year at least. It might be fun watching an already elite athlete learn a new sport though, someone ought to document his first year as a disc golfer. That would be an interesting video to see.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:26 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Hes talking to ultimate players, his core audience. 100k views in a couple of days beats anything the established DG media channels could usually expect.

And all these potential new players are now familiar with brand McBeth and the range of DC discs. Familiarity in a store full of discs is comforting.

I don't personally like his style of manufactured suspense or surprise, like a reality TV show, but he ain't doing a bad job of introducing basics to a new audience.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Old 02-01-2020, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

I'll be curious to see how they figure out the number of new players he brings to disc golf.