Old 02-22-2020, 01:04 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 99 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22
extend your rear arm and drive your shoulders forward(from behind)

This is absolutely gold for me. Not only does it get the swing extension out further forward but it intuitively gets everything stacked up on the front leg and my entire COG targetward.

I hope this thread makes more people film drills, because I am a testament to how easy they are to do wrong, and how important feedback is on doing them correctly!

Thanks SW I’m super excited to try this outside. I’m even considering throwing over a snowy-death field just to see some results
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-22-2020, 01:37 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 394 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
This is absolutely gold for me. Not only does it get the swing extension out further forward but it intuitively gets everything stacked up on the front leg and my entire COG targetward.
Exactly, if we just commit to getting entire left side (both a$$ and shoulder) forward - FROM BEHIND- have no choice but to be on front leg

Niced: (1)
Old 02-22-2020, 08:46 PM
Birdie Member

Progress!

Headed out to the snow covered field of doom but was pleasantly surprised that most of it was melted and compacted! Had the BEST field session I’ve had in a long time. Figured out so many things. Unfortunately you can kind of tell in the footage that my excitement got the better of me, shifting early and eager with the upper body.

Nonetheless, I finally figured out the closed shoulder feeling (f#%k yeah!) and getting those shoulders forward coupled with the swim move - I was feeling things I’d never felt before. Super sick!!

I’m pretty pumped on the finish position in a few of these, almost looks GG esque, im sure SW will bring me back down to earth haha.

Still getting the hang of the swim and my motion isn’t quite there yet, but I can really feel it’s potential. I also realized why I couldn’t make it work earlier in my journey - it doesn’t work unless you’re on the front leg properly. Which I could also see in a few of my clips, I’m shifting early getting over the top.

I think I’m really close to a big breakthrough or at least lots of smaller things coming together. Still a few bad habits holding my back that I forget about because I’m focusing on different things, it’s not natural and embedded yet; striding left of target instead of targetward, front foot too closed (how to fix this?), shifting early, late off the rear foot, and most importantly POSTURE. My phone died before I could get behind tee but there’s def something funky happening there.

I even filmed a x step video, it’s not pretty... too many moving parts.

This one felt good. It was a judge with great carry and glide maybe 280 or so.

This one the swim looked the best. It was a stag (8 speed) with crazy spin when it hit the ground I’d say 310 dead straight.

And here is the beautiful x step...
Old 02-22-2020, 11:19 PM
Birdie Member

Also; is crush the can meant to be a two part move? Or fluid motion? Like I felt I could control when it was going toe - heel.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,419 Times in 2,086 Posts

Looks like you are trying to keep your head down or back or still in all these vids.

In the swim move vid your rear arm whips over to the left tee side in your warm up, that is 90 degrees the wrong direction should be whipped targetward. Because your head is staying down in the way of your shoulder finishing forward over the front foot. Get your head up out of the way.

In 1st vid you plant and then you try to make a move off rear foot too late. Need to make that move/shift off rear foot going into the plant not after it.

Elbow your hips forward into the plant, hips going forward underneath. Your rear elbow keeps flying away from your hip and puts the brakes on your finish. Your rear arm should up getting whipped around in the finish. Your rear arm needs to get in front of your body at some point before the forward swing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=9m40s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HssJQD1rRo
Old 02-23-2020, 02:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
Also; is crush the can meant to be a two part move? Or fluid motion? Like I felt I could control when it was going toe - heel.
Back and forth motion creating a bouncy/sudden shift between the feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s
Old 02-23-2020, 11:29 AM
Birdie Member

Yes!! I knew something was off with the way I was shifting. Interesting about the head I wasn’t thinking about that at all. I think the swim is helping me get forward but also think I need to scale it back and focus on the way I’m shifting/that timing.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:35 PM
Birdie Member

Went back for round two today. Incorporating the swim move was too much to think about while trying to fix my late shift. Try as I could I couldn’t get any major change or feeling. Everything was going the same distance. So I tried a few different approaches;

This one I tried to get taller and drop down into the plant like the ol Charlie horse method.

This one I tried thinking of the doorframe drill works and using that to shift. Don’t think it looks right.

This one is my lame attempt at the swim move. I tried to keep the arm forward before forward swing but still just popped out there.

Finally the behind view;

Old 02-23-2020, 09:02 PM
* Ace Member *

First one looked the best overall. You are over shifting your hips/body back away too much, and then are turning behind your rear leg while your shift has paused, and then you are shifting forward while your rotation has paused. You need more ebb and flow motion of shifting and turning. Shifting one direction should cause rotation in the opposite direction.

I think it's a death move turning your arm/disc upside down in the backswing, this causes too much slack and everything to collapse in your arm/s, and your rear arm is mirroring your front arm collapsing/failing behind your back like wet noodle. You want both of your palms/forearms to be facing your body/chest or even upward and supinating/externally rotating humerus in the backswing which "locks/loads" the shoulder/humerus from collapsing in transition.

Note how my rear hand is in my center at the heel plant and almost looks like I'm grabbing the disc with both hands and about to rip a phone book apart.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg parbque sw behind ss copy.jpg (92.9 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 02-23-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:28 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
First one looked the best overall. You are over shifting your hips/body back away too much, and then are turning behind your rear leg while your shift has paused, and then you are shifting forward while your rotation has paused. You need more ebb and flow motion of shifting and turning. Shifting one direction should cause rotation in the opposite direction.

This must be why I can’t ever feel like the legs are adding any power whatsoever. I’ve never had that feeling of the lower body increasing power in any way. Or is it that you don’t generate more power with the lower body it’s just quicker shifting and longer swing?