Old 02-24-2020, 03:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,416 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
This must be why I cant ever feel like the legs are adding any power whatsoever. Ive never had that feeling of the lower body increasing power in any way. Or is it that you dont generate more power with the lower body its just quicker shifting and longer swing?
Once your rear knee gets behind your rear ankle the backswing is pretty toasted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R1B9O09dRE#t=2m
^^^

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 3.16.24 AM.jpg (45.3 KB, 70 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 394 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post

I think it's a death move turning your arm/disc upside down in the backswing, this causes too much slack and everything to collapse in your arm/s, and your rear arm is mirroring your front arm collapsing/failing behind your back like wet noodle. You want both of your palms/forearms to be facing your body/chest or even upward and supinating/externally rotating humerus in the backswing which "locks/loads" the shoulder/humerus from collapsing in transition.
For clarification, what about GG? Is that OK because he actually is supinating/externally rotating shoulder relative to where he starts - dangle position - to externally rotating during the backswing?

https://youtu.be/UldZwuCphwA?t=128
Drew Gibson also.

Paige is easier to spot the external rotation during backswing than those two:

Wiggins is interesting, he almost looks like he punches out (supinates with extension wrist extension) then pulls in: [EDIT: I'm copying and posting a bunch of gifs because I'm too dumb to figure out how to just paste wiggins gif]

Last edited by sidewinder22; 02-24-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
This must be why I cant ever feel like the legs are adding any power whatsoever. Ive never had that feeling of the lower body increasing power in any way. Or is it that you dont generate more power with the lower body its just quicker shifting and longer swing?
First pay attention to what SW said above and watch vids. Don't let yourself get outside of posture and stew on this: "Shifting one direction should cause rotation in the opposite direction"

What helped me feel the legs started with the "flat swing plane does not exist" video and that whole thread but also these: 1st watch this video:

USE THE GROUND AS LEVERAGE (Very applicable to above from SW)

When you do the doorframe drill above do you feel like you are leveraging into the ground with your rear foot during the backswing? As you drive into ground with backswing on rear foot your rear cheek should move forward/targetward (Note: "Shifting one direction should cause rotation in the opposite direction").

Then your next move is NOT to reach with the front foot but simply to catch yourself or brace up on the front foot/leg and pump your swing from there.

SO WINDMILL DRILL:

You're leveraging off the ground and pumping off of it - that's how you feel the power of the legs.

[/URL]

Old 02-24-2020, 10:46 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 99 Times in 80 Posts

I do feel it in doorframe drill for sure. I think I was fixated on getting balanced on the rear leg and letting the swing pull me up away and actually ending up too much outside my posture. Makes sense because I couldn’t feel much/any torque being built in my hips in the backswing.

Note: "Shifting one direction should cause rotation in the opposite direction").

That to me sounds like as I’m shifting into the rear leg I should be rotating for my forward swing which doesn’t make sense, surely as I shift to the rear leg I should be rotating into my backswing? Or is that where my timing issues are stemming from?

Interesting about the disc position I will adjust that and see what happens. I never truly u derstood what you guys meant by supinate/pronate the disc during backswing, I just did what felt natural (which could just be 3 years of muscle memory mind you)

I think I understand what needs to happen with the rear arm now, keeping it inside is helping everything stay together more as a unit, and then swim
Away countering the extension?
Old 02-24-2020, 12:10 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 552 Times in 223 Posts

This was for a guy I'm working with, but the backswing and offset step part seems inline with what you are addressing. Specifically the part in the video about turning back vs reaching back.

I'm also seeing that you're not keeping your hips back enough in the back swing and down swing.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 438 Times in 248 Posts

Lot's of good information in this. I really like the demo of "walking the cross step or off step."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post

This was for a guy I'm working with, but the backswing and offset step part seems inline with what you are addressing. Specifically the part in the video about turning back vs reaching back.

I'm also seeing that you're not keeping your hips back enough in the back swing and down swing.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:

Note: "Shifting one direction should cause rotation in the opposite direction").

That to me sounds like as Im shifting into the rear leg I should be rotating for my forward swing which doesnt make sense, surely as I shift to the rear leg I should be rotating into my backswing? Or is that where my timing issues are stemming from?

As you shift to the rear leg, your left butt cheek goes forward/targetward, that's the rotation in the opposite direction. Then as you shift to the front leg, your front/right cheek is going to go back. Bounce back and forth like SW was doing with pool cue in between legs few posts back. You "reach back" as your left cheek goes forward...this is the equal and opposite" thing that's referenced above in windmill and several of SW's videos, see doorframe vids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
As you drive into ground with backswing on rear foot your rear cheek should move forward/targetward (Note: "Shifting one direction should cause rotation in the opposite direction").
Watch those vids!

Old 02-24-2020, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,416 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
For clarification, what about GG? Is that OK because he actually is supinating/externally rotating shoulder relative to where he starts - dangle position - to externally rotating during the backswing?
When you hold the humerus/elbow up in the backswing like GG, it locks the shoulder socket and you can pronate or supinate the forearm without the humerus rotating or collapsing.

When I do a pendulum backswing I feel like I have to keep supinating and externally rotating to keep the shoulder from collapsing and maintain a wide backswing going away from body at the top/transition. I also feel like I'm pushing/bowling the disc into the backswing and lofting the disc up to the top of the backswing.

When I try do a pendulum like parbbq with the arm pronated and internally rotated I feel a lot of slack in my shoulder and it just wants to collapse around behind my body hugging myself. I also feel like I'm pulling the disc in the backswing and then the disc is pulling my arm down at the top instead of levitating.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 02-24-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:17 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks for the discussion guys and for that video Hub, appreciate it and everyone’s saint like patience!

Just for clarification; I’m starting the backswing with a shift to the back leg/hip which causes me to rotate -> that rotation is sending my buttcheek target ward - this is when I shift to the front from behind leveraged off my instep and then everything uncoils targetward braced on the instep with force going into the ground.

But it’s all one fluid motion. It’s light enough for ab after work field sesh so I’m going to try this new backswing and film some windmill!

Niced: (2)

Old 02-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post

Back as in unloading too soon or position wise? Could you elaborate?