Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

Old 03-09-2020, 11:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 610 Times in 239 Posts
Default First course to install the Disc Golf UK Castle Basket has opened!

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/cours...=11363&mode=ci Stokesley Disc Golf course has just opened this weekend!

There isn't another course within at least an hours drive of Stokesley, so that's good for a start, but it's also the first site to install our Castle basket which I'm rather excited about!

Lot's more of these coming in both UK and Europe. Tim is adding it to the DGCR listings and it's making me feel all proud
Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2020, 12:59 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,500 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/cours...=11363&mode=ci Stokesley Disc Golf course has just opened this weekend!

There isn't another course within at least an hours drive of Stokesley, so that's good for a start, but it's also the first site to install our Castle basket which I'm rather excited about!

Lot's more of these coming in both UK and Europe. Tim is adding it to the DGCR listings and it's making me feel all proud
First and foremost Mr. Hatton: thank you for very solidly representing the UK, your contributions to the game in the UK, and all your contribution on DGCR in general!
But...

You can't start a thread with titled "First course to install the Disc Golf UK Castle Basket has opened!" and not provide a good photo of what the basket looks like.

What's different about this basket? and can you provide any pics to illustrate?

Old 03-09-2020, 04:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 133
Niced 804 Times in 368 Posts

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (50.9 KB, 182 views)

Old 03-09-2020, 06:26 PM
* Ace No More *

Looks like a pretty solid basket. Definitely won't have an issue with visibility.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 610 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
First and foremost Mr. Hatton: thank you for very solidly representing the UK, your contributions to the game in the UK, and all your contribution on DGCR in general!
But...

You can't start a thread with titled "First course to install the Disc Golf UK Castle Basket has opened!" and not provide a good photo of what the basket looks like.

What's different about this basket? and can you provide any pics to illustrate?
Thanks

Bit of background -first up baskets have been expensive over here because of shipping and a terrible exchange rate over the last few years, it's made it hard to persuade landowners to install. In order to get more courses in the ground quickly we needed to find a way to change this. Making our own basket was inevitable although a great shame as we have worked with some really great companies on courses so far, Latitude/Prodigy Europe and Prodiscus in recent years.

I loved the lat 64 pro basket we have used on a couple of courses but found the wirework to be a bit weak for our particular brand of exuberant youth (insert vandal/hooligan/swear word here)

Also absolutely loved the Prodigy T2's we installed on around 10 courses last year from a robustness point of view (good thick wirework and strength at the joins, plus great and easy assembly) but found a couple of the usual China manufacturing issues which have concerned me for the longevity (rusting at cuts, cuts done after galvanisation not before etc)

I've been working with China factories for 15 + years and the company I'm now 50/50 owners of the business with ship out a few containers a month from a range of different factories. We've both spent a lot of time in the factories over there and have a pretty good idea of the sort of shortcuts that are likely to occur in manufacture if you don't specify and control so we decided to make our own combining the best features of the things I've liked about the baskets we've used, my business partner went out to oversea the initial order, he's supposed to be out there again now but world events have stopped that trip!

The basket is big, for commercial reasons I decided to go for as large spec as we could so it is almost at the max of PDGA specs in all categories. The idea was to appeal to the casual player most likely to use the baskets and then most likely to want to install at their course because they had such a good catching experience on it. Whilst there's a drive to smaller baskets from some, I believe the majority want to have the feeling they can't miss near the baskets (this was feedback from the courses with the Latitudes which are also near top specs - ours are a bit wider in the chain assembly) The comment from everyone that used them at our first demo was "they're massive"

The wirework is thick and strong and built with the British vandal in mind.

We have gone double rings as the European version of the discatcher was only ever single ringed which led to lots of unfair feeling spit outs with heavier chains as a result of inner and outer chains all moving as one mass. We've got the inner ring slightly higher than other baskets have done, we found in experimentation that this helped to allow softer putts come through the outer chains but still stop the fast ones hitting center pole.

We've gone for quite a light chain so it is accepting of soft putts but also slows down the faster ones too before they hit the center pole. catching has so far been superb.

The main thing is despite IMO being better build quality than the competition and a great catching experience, they are cheap. They are by far the best priced in the market in the UK and it is allowing us to launch a pretty revolutionary scheme here this month to get more courses in the ground (effectively free courses to clubs)

Below's a video from the first demonstration held last week at the Midlands Open and British Nationals matchplay event, the ace was from the 2nd place finisher of Nationals, Angus Green. 50 meter uphill shot, we had two hit metal hits from there and both stuck for aces!

Loads more photos on our Instagram and Facebook https://www.instagram.com/discgolfuk/?hl=en

Old 03-10-2020, 09:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 176
Niced 177 Times in 86 Posts

Thanks for the pic and thanks for the backstory. Very impressive!

Good thing you got your work done in China before ... you know what!
Old 03-10-2020, 12:00 PM
* Ace No More *

Thanks for the info. Maybe it's a good thing that economics of it pushes you toward making vs buying.
Looks very good. I hope:

1) This works out well for you.
2) I get a chance to play a course equipped with them one day.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,108 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmay5 View Post
Thanks for the pic and thanks for the backstory. Very impressive!

Good thing you got your work done in China before ... you know what!
March Madness?
Old 03-10-2020, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,422 Times in 2,089 Posts

But does it leak oil?

Old 03-10-2020, 10:57 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 992 Times in 831 Posts

The Smaller basket is 100% an MVP basket Pro HD basket only looking like the bottom cage is made of thicker wire or even of thin steel bar similar to Rebar.