Old 03-03-2020, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 372 Times in 203 Posts

So in the end, it depends on which flavor of Nikko wizard is the one you're looking for.

I have a small stack of them in various flexes from super firm to somewhere between SS and SSS. They all have a similar feel/grip to me. Like normal Sure-Grip plastic with a tiny bit of rubber. Nowhere near as rubbery as the $ blends. Most of them started out slightly chalky, but it wore away quickly. The key with the Nikkos is the low-profile shape of the nose/shoulder and the thin flight plate, that makes all the difference.

I just picked up a winter wizards stamped hemp Wizard that has the more typical flight plate and high shoulder, it feels significantly taller/deeper to me just feeling it. I'm sure it putts fine.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2020, 01:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 22
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Special Blend was a few years ago. After the G9i/medium thing it seemed like they threw a lot of stuff at the wall to see what would stick. There were different kinds of Special Blend, there was like SB17, SB18, SB22, SB30...I don't really know how many there were. They were all kinda SS in flex (I think one was floppier like RFF but I don't recall which one) so it must have mostly had to do with how tacky the grip was? Maybe? I don't know. It was poorly explained, poorly advertised and confusing on the consumer end so I just never bothered to order any or worry about them. They had a cool stamp, anyway.
So I can actually explain this one. They were going through a phase of trying out new blends and I loved some of these Special Blend runs. But the general concept was that since they already had the normal "S" plastic, then all the other things like Eraser, Money ($), Organic, and all the other "standard" variants of theirs, they were wanting to make Special Blend a new consistent blend that was different from the rest of them.

So some of these special blends had things thrown into there like ballistic nylon shreds (which was my favorite run - these Wizards literally cooled up tight, low shouldered and had a chalky grip without being chalky), and then there were things like the chemicals/plastics that were used to make the soft touch "plastic" of car dashboards (I think this one was SB18 or 19).

They marketed them all as Special Blend, but didn't really want to announce which blend was which. I think they got up to a batch in the 50s before picking an exact formulation. Most of the discs in a certain SB run was one color or sometimes swirly (like the car touch run was almost all brown or gray swirly). They also were all the same flex for the most part (sometimes SS/SSS in the same run). So often the difference between a blue Wizard SB 13 to a SB 14 might be as minor as just being SSS rather than SS.

SB 13,14,16, and 22 were all velvety feeling and varied in flex from stiff (16,13,14) to S/SS (22). SB30 was basically RFF flex.

I think the real intent was if "S" plastic was intended to feel "velvety" then they wanted Special Blend to be more "silky". I also think they intended for Special Blend to be chalky (and to absorb the Chalky runs under this "label"). My favorite runs of Wizards thus far have all been Special Blends apart from the $ type Wizards.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 65
Niced 214 Times in 151 Posts

I agree 100% its fun to see what you get. When I am trading for wizards I just ask if they are fairly firm. My SB17 is one of my favorites.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2020, 02:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 29
Niced 22 Times in 19 Posts

The two PIAS no longer stock wizards by me. I don’t even have a clue what all these new plastic ones even are to order any anymore
Old 03-10-2020, 07:06 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,250 Times in 1,167 Posts

The PIAS near me doesn't stock Wizards, but there are always good Wizards in the used bin. Why people get rid of Wizards is beyond me, but they do. Gateway sponsors so many events around here that they are common players pack discs and they get traded in a lot.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 77
Niced 414 Times in 230 Posts

I was told by my local pias that they dont carry wizards because gateway wants them to buy all their discs, not just the putters.

So im forced to buy online. Got a few nikko wiz on the way
Old 03-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 716 Times in 266 Posts

Probably my most fun disc purchase was a gateway overstock putter pack. 8 Wiz a magic and a warlock in all kinds of plastic.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 14
Niced 36 Times in 17 Posts

I'm sure it's been discussed, but I don't quite know what to search for the answer. Can anyone recommend a plastic that's firm, but not slick? I like the softer feel, but still prefer a stiffer putter. I think S is what I'm looking for, but it's been a long time since I've thrown Gateway putters.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 74 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
I'm sure it's been discussed, but I don't quite know what to search for the answer. Can anyone recommend a plastic that's firm, but not slick? I like the softer feel, but still prefer a stiffer putter. I think S is what I'm looking for, but it's been a long time since I've thrown Gateway putters.
My SS Wizards/Voodoos are slightly softer than like, a KC Aviar, but much gripper. My S Warriors are about the stiffness of a KC Aviar, but much gripper again. So in my limited experience SS has a bit of give to it, S is a grippy dinner plate.

Niced: (1)

Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 14
Niced 36 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buiscutboy View Post
My SS Wizards/Voodoos are slightly softer than like, a KC Aviar, but much gripper. My S Warriors are about the stiffness of a KC Aviar, but much gripper again. So in my limited experience SS has a bit of give to it, S is a grippy dinner plate.
I think as summer approaches, I might look toward a grippy dinner plate. I picked up an orgo Wizard that's a little bit tacky which is great for this 45ish degree early spring weather, but I think SS or S will be good for more heat.