Old 03-14-2020, 12:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 830 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I would love to believe that you’re right about it being overreaction, however that requires believing that both China and Italy never happened.
People are 100% overreacting and that is what is going to lead to problems. Limiting contact with others, washing hands, and self quarantine if you get sick, and seeking care if you get worse are the only logical steps.

People won't do that though which will overload the limited medical resources in our already horrible excuse for a healthcare system that we call "affordable access to care for everyone".

Like I said fear rules this country now. Since the majority of people, and the entire media has already decided to embrace full blown panic, it's only a matter of time before Italy 2.0

If we had widespread testing at least we'd see that the fatality rate is much lower than currently reported and that a lot more people are already infected. This would actually help reduce the fear that this is something to be terrified of. It should be taken seriously of course, refer to the logical steps above.

I think the PDGA took the right steps given the current state of the country but if everyone would just calm down we could have had small outdoor events like disc golf tournaments.

Indoor mass gatherings like concerts should absolutely be cancelled. It breaks rule 1, limit contact with other people
Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 211 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
People are 100% overreacting and that is what is going to lead to problems. Limiting contact with others, washing hands, and self quarantine if you get sick, and seeking care if you get worse are the only logical steps.

People won't do that though which will overload the limited medical resources in our already horrible excuse for a healthcare system that we call "affordable access to care for everyone".

Like I said fear rules this country now. Since the majority of people, and the entire media has already decided to embrace full blown panic, it's only a matter of time before Italy 2.0

If we had widespread testing at least we'd see that the fatality rate is much lower than currently reported and that a lot more people are already infected. This would actually help reduce the fear that this is something to be terrified of. It should be taken seriously of course, refer to the logical steps above.

I think the PDGA took the right steps given the current state of the country but if everyone would just calm down we could have had small outdoor events like disc golf tournaments.

Indoor mass gatherings like concerts should absolutely be cancelled. It breaks rule 1, limit contact with other people
nah, not overreacting at all. if we've learned anything from the past couple weeks it's that people CAN'T be expected to self quarantine or practice anything close to sensible restrictions on physical contact. seeing one of the cards at waco yesterday full on hug at the 18th teepad made me cringe.

add in the actions of people like rudy gobert and i don't think cancelling events is a bad idea whatsoever.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-14-2020, 09:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,346 Times in 751 Posts

100% overreacting?

No.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
nah, not overreacting at all. if we've learned anything from the past couple weeks it's that people CAN'T be expected to self quarantine or practice anything close to sensible restrictions on physical contact. seeing one of the cards at waco yesterday full on hug at the 18th teepad made me cringe.

add in the actions of people like rudy gobert and i don't think cancelling events is a bad idea whatsoever.
He could lose all the money he makes (made) in the NBA if any of those media people get this virus.
What a friggin' idiot.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,043 Times in 709 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't say 100 percent overreacting, but I'd give it at least 50 percent. The hype is good for news outlets. I feel like half of the population is 200% overreacting, news agencies are 100% overreacting and 50% of the population is undereacting.

So if the news agency's can convince the people that are undereacting to take precautions then it's 100% worth it.

I'm actually wondering if maybe I have already gone a round with the Covid a month or so back, could have been the flu. We live in a vacation area where people have a second house and the means to travel, one of my homeowners sold his place in Italy and there was a cold that wiped through the crew... actual origin unknown but high fever, pretty much sacked me for a week, I was only conscious for a few hours at a time. I took precautions, like always because I hate spreading that stuff around and my guys didn't get sick. Of course my buddy had already got it 2 months ago and it lingered for him for about 3 weeks.. Covid or regular flu season? Who knows.

There was a great picture of a row of matches, the middle one was half the length. All the matches on the left were burnt but the short one that stayed away saved all the others on the right...

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 03-14-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:25 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 496 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
...and self quarantine if you get sick...
This is the part that I think a lot of people are missing when they argue for a commonsense approach. It seems that we can be contagious if we've been exposed, but are asymptomatic. In other words, healthy people with no symptoms can infect others before they even realize they have the virus. So, if someone finds out they are sick, and THEN they quarantine themselves, they've probably already exposed a bunch of other people over the preceding five days, or whatever. At least that's my understanding. So, that seems to be why the social distancing aspect is so important.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:26 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 74 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:

People won't do that though
Kinda sounds like they're underreacting then, doesn't it?
Old 03-14-2020, 10:40 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,281 Times in 1,177 Posts

People are weird.

This is fairly uncharted territory. Things like this have happened before, but not in modern times. Back then you just sat around and died since no one understood how to stop it. Now we have science to help us. We haven't had to implement the steps before, and it's complicated. The bottom line is science it telling us how to keep a lot of people from dying.

Of course the steps are inconvenient. People who are not likely to die from COVID-19 have to make sacrifices to save lives, but it's not their life they are saving. Since it's not their life, it seems like a lot of people simply don't care and are unwilling to endure the inconvenience of it all. That's pretty maddening, but it's who we are.

I was trying to explain this to a co-worker. I said if this thing gets into nursing homes, group homes, supported living facilities, etc., it's going to wipe those people out. Those people are going to die at very high rates. He said something to the effect of good, they are weak and taking care of them is a drain on the economy. Which...HIS MOTHER IS 90! SHE LIVES IN A NURSING HOME!!! He couldn't even connect the dots enough to know I was talking about his own mother dying. He was so focused on not having any basketball to watch this weekend that he couldn't add one and one to get two.

People are getting hung up on "IT'S THE MEDIA" Waa Waa Waa..that's a political ploy run amuck in our society, this idea that the media is liberal and untrustworthy and everything is a ploy to make conservatives look bad. Italy reported 250 deaths yesterday from COVID 19. One day. 250 people dead. If you think this is a hoax, the hoax is on you. You should stop digging through the press reporting looking for your "gotcha" moment so you can feel smug and smart; use the time to start reading and following CDC recommendations.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 871 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Congrats to COVID-19 and the Pro Tour for coming together and robbing Paul McBeth of another victory at WACO on behalf of some dude with a mustache! At first, it didn't seem like the overblown sensation would dig its paranoid tendrils into the obscure sport of Super Lawn Frisbee, but with a little help from the hyper-PR-aware cowardice of the modern corporate model of the Pro Tour, together they capitalized on McBeth's failure to lead wire-to-wire, cutting down the champion in a headwind of convenience. In the coming weeks, COVID-19 looks forward to ravaging the freaky shag van of the mustachioed tournament winner guy and his frisbee chick.
Lol dude i want what you're smoking too

Niced: (1)

Old 03-14-2020, 10:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

62.524% over reacting.

Niced: (2)