Old 03-06-2020, 07:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,436 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
It took me a long time to realize his daughter was left-handed. Just looked like a regular disc golf throw until SC walked up and took a righty stance and I realized what was happening.
I often don't even realize dg players are lefty until I go compare them to a pro and have to invert the horizontal.

SC says he is naturally a lefty and plays scratch golf with either hand.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-09-2020, 01:45 AM
* Ace Member *

SC and SP on Kyle Berkshire, 2019 World Long Drive Champion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN_A9JSqKzw#4m16s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtV5jJzvdNw&t=2m45s
Old 03-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 218 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
What a monster. I've watched a few long drive videos before. Those guys are scary.

The way his front foot lifts off the ground and gets out of the way is crazy.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:27 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 396 Times in 273 Posts

I'm trying to dial in upper body and specifically the off arm and rear shoulder. I am wondering if we can think of it in the same vain as the hips? That is in order to shift upper -from behind you - you dont send rotate shoulder/shoulder blade around behind you, which feels counterproductive, but rather you could think of it as rocking shoulders rear shoulder up and forward/targetward at backswing then redirected down at brace.

If you're not following, I'm just trying to nail in getting shoulder forward and behind but not shifting it too AROUND either front or back side of body. Feels very wound up doing this in a good way but I don't really notice pros rear shoulder raised at backswing either.

I also understand that if you're rocking your hips shoulders will be or ought to be on same angle. Cue image where your spine angle changes.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 218 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
I'm trying to dial in upper body and specifically the off arm and rear shoulder. I am wondering if we can think of it in the same vain as the hips? That is in order to shift upper -from behind you - you dont send rotate shoulder/shoulder blade around behind you, which feels counterproductive, but rather you could think of it as rocking shoulders rear shoulder up and forward/targetward at backswing then redirected down at brace.

If you're not following, I'm just trying to nail in getting shoulder forward and behind but not shifting it too AROUND either front or back side of body. Feels very wound up doing this in a good way but I don't really notice pros rear shoulder raised at backswing either.

I also understand that if you're rocking your hips shoulders will be or ought to be on same angle. Cue image where your spine angle changes.

Well Swedish throwers are very up and down with the rear shoulder, so the pendulum action you’re talking about does work. Watch feldberg or GG.

For any throw In the backswing, you’ll have a right lateral bend, and then when you shift to the front and swing it turns into a left lateral bend. Other styles tend to hide that movement a bit, but Swedish throwers have that high arm in the backswing that really highlights it.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post

Sounds about right although I'm not really trying to raise or lower or rotate the rear shoulder, it's a post/center for the lead shoulder to swing underneath. Rear shoulder moves or shifts forward from behind to the front leg post in backswing and front shoulder unwinds forward. I'm not trying to lower the rear shoulder going forward either, but may appear to be because CoG is dropping and moving forward going into plant. The rear shoulder is posted/center on the front leg and moving/leveraging forward/changing angle as lead shoulder swings forward.

In a forehand the lead shoulder is posted center on front leg for the rear shoulder to swing from while a backswing the rear shoulder is posted center on front leg for the front shoulder to swing from.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-15-2020, 07:22 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Sounds about right although I'm not really trying to raise or lower or rotate the rear shoulder, it's a post/center for the lead shoulder to swing underneath. Rear shoulder moves or shifts forward from behind to the front leg post in backswing and front shoulder unwinds forward. I'm not trying to lower the rear shoulder going forward either, but may appear to be because CoG is dropping and moving forward going into plant. The rear shoulder is posted/center on the front leg and moving/leveraging forward/changing angle as lead shoulder swings forward.

In a forehand the lead shoulder is posted center on front leg for the rear shoulder to swing from while a backswing the rear shoulder is posted center on front leg for the front shoulder to swing from.

I believe that makes sense. I think I'm just having to unlearn the not rotate thing with my upper body now yet my shoulders aren't quite on the right page and in sync with the hips yet. Watching the golf video there's turn in the shoulder but I had been giving them to much turn, overrotating the upper body. But if I think of shoulders as a unit with the hips, the shifting spine angle also evident in golf video, as a rocking motion I feel like I can shift from behind to the front leg and not over rotate backwards. Sure, I'm not physically raising or lowering just the shoulders but bracing on rear and front leg changes that spine angle and therefore the shoulder and hip angles. And/Or maybe rear shoulder appears higher in backswing because I'm taller/cog higher going up on rear leg while then also shifting/falling lowering into plant.

Does that make sense? Just hoping changing the mentality to rocking gives upper body fix. Feels right.

Gifts and videos were helpful, thanks.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:43 AM
Eagle Member

And maybe thinking about anchoring rear shoulder to front leg/post will help. Feels like it

Old 03-15-2020, 08:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 443 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:

I had to read this about four times before the light bulb went on. It looks like PP might actually be leaving some power on the table compared to Henna Blomroos with both not centering the post and the forearm angle in the second row.

Quote:

Old 03-15-2020, 10:19 AM
Par Member

Niced 25 Times in 18 Posts

Henna is a beast, can't believe how fast her form has changed in few years, absolute world class...

I stumbled upon this video, not sure has it been linked here before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvSr2djIUkw

Really explains why hips can't rotate parallel to ground, gotta get a hula hoop.