Old 03-16-2020, 10:31 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,300 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I'm still close with dozens of friends that I met in grade school.
That's awesome, Hamp. But I think you're probably the exception, and not the rule.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2020, 10:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,340 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
That's awesome, Hamp. But I think you're probably the exception, and not the rule.
I suppose it depends where you live. I know plenty of good teachers and their biggest complaint is always about the parents. So, perhaps it's more of a societal problem and less of a public school problem. Either way, saying public schools do nothing but babysit and feed is dumb.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,854 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I suppose it depends where you live. I know plenty of good teachers and their biggest complaint is always about the parents. So, perhaps it's more of a societal problem and less of a public school problem. Either way, saying public schools do nothing but babysit and feed is dumb.
Lol.....parents are not going to want to hear that, or accept any responsibility for their children or the state of public schools. Public schools are a pure reflection of their community. The community get out of it, what they put into it.

Public schools provided me the background to be healthy, happy, prosperous and successful. I am not sure there is an alternative that could have put me, and kept me on that path.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-17-2020, 09:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,042 Times in 2,630 Posts

Exactly. Public schools started "going downhill" in the eyes of a lot of people right around the same time those same people started taking their kids' side against the teachers. Schools haven't really changed all that much, its the mindset of the parents that changed.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:21 AM
* Ace Member *

There was a big kerfuffle in my high school around my freshman year where a bunch of parents were getting pissed off that their dumb as rock kids weren't getting into the advanced level classes early. I remember taking algebra 2 my freshman year(took algebra in 8th grade) with a bunch of kids who shouldn't have been taking math at all... It completely wasted the first half of the year having the teacher try to bring these kids up to speed... and only a few of them even did.

That was about the time I lost interest in paying attention in school in general.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 03-17-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,770 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
That was about the time I lost interest in paying attention in school in general.
This was my experience in public school too...outside of a few classes, I was on autopilot and still was in the top 5-10% of my class. Public schools teach to the lowest common denominator.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
This was my experience in public school too...outside of a few classes, I was on autopilot and still was in the top 5-10% of my class. Public schools teach to the lowest common denominator.
You ever seen that Christian Slater movie Pump Up the Volume? If so, that was basically my high school. They thought they were a top tier academic school instead of the small rural school that they were, and once you started slacking off or getting into any kind of trouble, they kicked you out or shipped you off to the local vocational school network so your grades wouldn't reflect bad on their numbers. Which was why they weren't putting kids up into the higher level classes.

Tbh though, I was in a pretty bad place in my life at the time. My father died in January of my 8th grade year and I didn't react very well to it. By mid freshman year, I was more interested in getting high than doing my homework. If they hadn't shipped me off, I likely wouldn't have graduated on time. Plus, the credit requirements changed a lot the year after I graduated. I would have needed to take a pile of home school classes to have graduated in 5yrs if I hadn't gotten out when I did.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 03-17-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:44 AM
Par Member

Niced 206 Times in 107 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
For a lot of kids with crappy home lives and idiot parent(s), school is a reprieve. And I'm pretty certain that number is far higher than you might think.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:14 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,300 Times in 643 Posts

Just so everyone knows, I'm not disparaging public schools at all. I'm just saying that I don't think it's the norm to stay close to dozens of kids that you met in grade school. But like Hamp, said, it depends on where you live, too. Most of the people that I know are from somewhere else (Either a different state, or different country). So to stay that close to someone from your childhood is either impossible, or only achieved through social media. (It also depends greatly on what the word "close" means.)

Old 03-17-2020, 11:20 AM
Par Member

Niced 101 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Public schools teach to the lowest common denominator.
You've got it!

And since you can't choose NOT to go to school without the dumbest kids, school is always going to be a massive waste of time for all literate students. I took every AP class my school offered, and there were still kids in those classes who aren't qualified to rotate the tires on my cars today.

Last edited by BigFlickLuke; 03-17-2020 at 11:24 AM.