Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 03-16-2020, 09:50 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,300 Times in 643 Posts

The United States is headed for a national quarantine. Forget disc golf.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1,520 Times in 371 Posts

My next four tournaments (through the end of April) were all cancelled, and there's nothing scheduled within a reasonable distance in that time. All of the local TDs have cancelled, or the regional clubs have pulled the courses out from under the TDs, or the local governments have capped the size of events. In short, for a variety of reasons there's nothing to play if I wanted to-- and I surely do.

Local leagues are cancelled, too, as are the non-sanctioned events. Organized disc golf is completely shut down around me.

So it's a pretty easy decision. =\
Old 03-16-2020, 10:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

You people really think there are meaningful ethical considerations tied to the spread of this virus? You buy whatever ethics are sold you I reckon.

I would that Holly and all of the traveling disc golfers do something useful with the time they can't spend playing. One of the least ethical things we do is the slow-motion suicide of a wasteful life. Enormous masses of material are consumed in our process of doing absolutely nothing of value.

Plant some vegetables. Look at birds more closely. Help someone in your family. Help a stranger. Learn to cook something new. Go into the woods and think. Build something. Climb a tree. Listen to real people speaking. Learn about the life you are living, and how you might or ought to change it. Learn to recognize and change poor behavior. Learn more about your mate. Etc. Etc. Etc. Sometimes you should play frisbee too if it makes you happy.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 103 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly7845 View Post
If you were a touring pro, what would you do after the announcement of Waco?

Just curious what your mindset is during this interesting time.
If I was good enough to win tournaments as a touring player, I wouldn't miss a weekend.

A body only lasts so long. Get as many tee shots as you can. Same reason I'm still playing casually every day.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 54
Niced 481 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
You people really think there are meaningful ethical considerations tied to the spread of this virus?
Seriously? When a choice you make to go out and be in crowds of people could mean life or death? How could that not be an ethical consideration?

Niced: (2)
Old 03-16-2020, 11:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 561
Niced 190 Times in 91 Posts

I have no idea what I'd do if I was a touring pro. Pray?

In my career, we are rooting for a shutdown. Planning on sitting at home collecting a salary.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:20 PM
Par Member

Niced 103 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCready View Post
The rest of the world is going to watch this all go down and laugh at our hubris.
The rest of the world either has it or is going to get it, too. We won't be hit the hardest. There are plenty of countries with far greater population densities and lower quality healthcare facilities.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by BigFlickLuke; 03-16-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:40 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 727 Times in 270 Posts

I would sit on my bum for the next two weeks and see what happens, by then we’ll have a sense from Seattle just how bad it’s going to get in the US. Reevaluate then.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:24 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCready View Post
Seriously? When a choice you make to go out and be in crowds of people could mean life or death? How could that not be an ethical consideration?
My point is that you do many things involving life and death and hurt and haste and ruin and waste without the slightest pause to consider your ethics. Now you're pretending to give a rip about others because it has been socially mandated that you do so. I do care about the people around me, and about my own health. Given the specifics of this situation I am more than comfortable placing myself and the world in the hands of mathematics and carrying on as normal.

More to the original point of the thread though, it would be nice if some people used this time of disrupted routine to discover some worthwile things they've been missing. What would make me absolutely giddy would be a collapse of the internet at this time. Then we could really make a memory.

Last edited by Armus Patheticus; 03-17-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 54
Niced 481 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
My point is that you do many things involving life and death and hurt and haste and ruin and waste without the slightest pause to consider your ethics. Now you're pretending to give a rip about others because it has been socially mandated that you do so. I do care about the people around me, and about my own health. Given the specifics of this situation I am more than comfortable placing myself and the world in the hands of mathematics and carrying on as normal.

More to the original point of the thread though, it would be nice if some people used this time of disrupted routine to discover some worthwile things they've been missing. What would make me absolutely giddy would be a collapse of the internet at this time. Then we could really make a memory.
Excellent points for sure. Most of us rarely consider the everyday risks of leaving the house, nor how our decisions risk others’ safety. Texting & driving is a good example.

If this has any lasting impact at all, maybe some small percentage will wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Maybe some marriages will be strengthened by the increased time to reconnect. Probably others will end for the same reason though.