Old 03-22-2020, 10:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Local Gov here is encouraging people to get out to the parks while keeping a safe distance.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2020, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 856 Times in 666 Posts

If anything, Coronavirus has made disc golf MORE popular. I was at the course last Sunday, and I've never seen the place so busy. A steady stream of players all day. Disc golf is one of the very few activities still available to Americans that minimizes togetherness and the spread of germs. People are going to play, regardless of what naysayers and worrywarts may say.

Its absolutely ludicrous to assume that people are going to sit in their houses for 2 months straight doing absolutely nothing. If getting out for a casual round of disc golf alleviates tension and maintains sanity I'm all for it.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 393 Times in 222 Posts

My local course was also crammed full of newer, casual players
Old 03-22-2020, 11:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 18
Niced 264 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I read the WHO report on China. It totally downgrades the spread ability of the virus. For instance if you have an infected person in the household there is still only a 10% chance of someone else in the household getting it. They have also said it does not appear there is much non-symptomatic spread. Basically if you get it, you will show symptoms. This report actually comforted me a lot, as it appears this is not going to blow up like the worst case scenario's describe.
https://www.zerohedge.com/health/cov...-over-hysteria
I don't wish to start a political debate here. I was interested when you said you read the WHO report. But then you linked to a zerohedge site which is no more reputable than any other blog (which is what zerohedge is). In fact, they kind of got in trouble for spreading disinformation about COVID19.

So yeah, I'm not trying to be partisan here, I just think that if you want to legitimize your information that the source was the World Health Organization, you should link to the actual report.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 54
Niced 69 Times in 39 Posts

Our government wants us to help in keeping the spread of the virus down to a minimum.
Personally that means no group activities and little to no travel only for essentials(groceries,prescriptions,doctor visits,ect.)
I live in a rural area of the country and lots of discers are playing the one open course near me
and even though I think they are taking too much of a chance, they have a right to be there until the local government shuts it down.
I will not play untill this crisis is over. I have a basket in my yard so I can get by.
The spring breakers are all coming back to their communities and should be self-quarantining for 14 days but that will not happen. More spread and more deaths.
People are dying alone with no loved ones by their side because of the nature of this virus.
Funerals are being held remotely via video.
In New Jersey 6 family members tested positive and 4 are dead.
60% of the US population needs to get caronavirus but at a slower rate than we're currently at. The slower the infection rate the better our healthcare system will fare as far as death rates.
China quarantined millions of their citizens and used martial law (welding apartment doors shut)
and finally got the infection rate slowed down.
South Korea had tons of testing and tracing to identify hot spots and have turned the corner.
To the OP, I don't think we are taking this seriously and the few folks that say they can do what they want are being selfish and inconsiderate of others who they might infect.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:25 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,300 Times in 643 Posts

I am all for flattening the curve. But if you travel alone to the course, and you're in a group of one, the chances of you getting the virus or spreading it are very minimal. The bigger the groups the more risk there is. We should basically all be staying away from each other as much as possible.

To answer the OP though, no, we are not taking it seriously. We don't take any illness seriously, which is why thousands also die from the flu every year.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,035 Times in 705 Posts

Nope we aren't all taking it seriously, some are but some don't. Sometimes it's blown out of proportion but at the same time how much will it take to hammer it into people's heads. If we don't straighten up we will all be in lockdown, COMPLETELY. It's like arguing with an anti-vaccer

Too many stupid self involved people.. I often tell the kid when she says "why?" that you need to remember at least half the people you know aren't as smart as you.

God loves stupid people, it's why he made so many of them.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 03-22-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,035 Times in 705 Posts

And paranoia is not completely misplaced or un warranted.. I feel more comfortable around paranoid people these days.

I have experience working with "potential" toxic waste and in a uranium mine. You can die if you chew your finger nails.. Probably good training right about now.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:47 AM

Courses Played: 43
Niced 16 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I read the WHO report on China. It totally downgrades the spread ability of the virus. For instance if you have an infected person in the household there is still only a 10% chance of someone else in the household getting it. They have also said it does not appear there is much non-symptomatic spread. Basically if you get it, you will show symptoms. This report actually comforted me a lot, as it appears this is not going to blow up like the worst case scenario's describe.
https://www.zerohedge.com/health/cov...-over-hysteria
Why wouldn't you link the actual WHO report instead of a post by Tyler Durden on a far-right leaning financial blog ?

Old 03-22-2020, 11:52 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 500 Times in 191 Posts

On that point about cars: I’m not playing primarily bc playing for me requires driving and I’m avoiding all voluntary driving. I can work online at home, so I haven’t moved my car in 9 days.

Driving is risky. Risky means non-zero possibility of hospital trip. Driving is the most dangerous thing most of us do daily during “normal conditions.”

Hospital trip means another person needing help within a overloaded system. Hospital trip increases possibility of exposure and spread.

I’d likely play if I had a course within walking distance. And now I look forward to someone telling me about the dangers of being a pedestrian bc this is DGCR after all.

We are all “free,” until the gov’t (state or fed) tells us otherwise, to decide what social distancing looks like w/in parameters provided. Mine means no unnecessary driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
We could stop traffic deaths if we outlawed personal cars.

There's no one answer to disc golf---it depends on a lot of factors. Certainly, if we isolate everyone in their own bubble, we'll get the greatest effect on stopping contagion. But if everyone just reduces their risky activities by 80%, it will have a huge effect....and we can still have a little bit of life.

Yesterday, at an isolated course, 8 40+ disc golfers showed up in 7 cars, practiced excellent social distancing, didn't touch each other's discs, etc. Very minimal risk. At the same time, 6 players in their early 20s showed up packed into 2 cars, and seemed to have no regard. (Maybe they all live in 1 house, and are just a traveling group isolation, I don't know).