Old 03-22-2020, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 857 Times in 667 Posts

Some people are acting like its ebola going around. I'd almost guarantee everyone on this board has been sick with something in the last year as bad or worse than coronavirus. This disease isn't remarkably lethal, it just seems to spread easily. Any young/fit person isn't going to be ridiculously worried about becoming infected. They'll be sick for a few days and then be fine.

I fully agree no one should be out willingly trying to spread germs, but sitting on your hands for two months in a bubble isn't really going to solve anything either.

Is attempting to slow the spread of coronavirus worth tanking the economy?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 730 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Some people are acting like its ebola going around. I'd almost guarantee everyone on this board has been sick with something in the last year as bad or worse than coronavirus. This disease isn't remarkably lethal, it just seems to spread easily. Any young/fit person isn't going to be ridiculously worried about becoming infected. They'll be sick for a few days and then be fine.

I fully agree no one should be out willingly trying to spread germs, but sitting on your hands for two months in a bubble isn't really going to solve anything either.

China decided so.

Italy’s is tanking anyway.

Spain is following Italy’s trajectory.

Nobody has come up with a good reason why Seattle, NYC, and LA don’t look like Lombardy in a month without drastic measures.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,300 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to assume you don't watch a lot of news, follow a lot of social media, or work in healthcare. Let me correct you in your statement that everyone on this board has had something worse than coronavirus in the last year.

Please read this:

https://www.propublica.org/article/a...young-patients

Quote:
“Reading about it in the news, I knew it was going to be bad, but we deal with the flu every year so I was thinking: Well, it’s probably not that much worse than the flu. But seeing patients with COVID-19 completely changed my perspective, and it’s a lot more frightening.”
Quote:
This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.”
Quote:
“Before this, we were all joking. It’s grim humor. If you are exposed to the virus and test positive and go on quarantine, you get paid. We were all joking: I want to get the coronavirus because then I get a paid vacation from work. And once I saw these patients with it, I was like, Holy s***, I do not want to catch this and I don’t want anyone I know to catch this.
Pretty scary, right? Even though this is meant to scare us into action, we also have to keep a level head and realize that most of who get it are going to be fine. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to minimize the risk to those who could die from this virus.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 500 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:

This post is incredibly naïve and dangerous. There are plenty of stories of young people getting seriously ill and there’s also the known high risk of them being vectors. Furthermore, whatever health issues people may have had in the past individually, the real risk now is the healthcare system being overwhelmed.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 45
Courses Played: 195
Niced 633 Times in 299 Posts

What's happening is unprecedented. I have spoken with people older than me and no one has seen anything like this in our lifetimes. We already have temps down hear around 90 with moderate humidity, which hopefully the corona doesn't like. Also, we have our annual reduction in population this time of year as the snowbirds head home. If any are still here and want to go home they better hurry. Looks like the redneck rager is continuing for a second day. Grant me the strength to stay away lol.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-22-2020, 04:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,039 Times in 707 Posts

What Coronavirus really needs to do is knock out a young healthy celebrity.. and then some kids will notice..

There could be ads "If you aren't Tom Hanks you probably aren't getting a ventilator"
Old 03-22-2020, 04:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 27
Niced 144 Times in 36 Posts

Old 03-22-2020, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,864 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:

I fully agree no one should be out willingly trying to spread germs
, but sitting on your hands for two months in a bubble isn't really going to solve anything either.

And here.....we have the problem.

Young people are getting put onto vents at the same rate as older folks, in the US. Your post is wrong and misinformative. You are giving no credence to the panic and social unrest that a collapse of the healthcare system will create. Flatten the curve is as much about saving healthcare, as is it is about anything.

The bolded would be criminal, the rest of the comment is just myopic and ignorant. Sitting on your hands for two months in a bubble could VERY well save the lives of many people you care about, some you hold precious.

The economy is already tanked. It is going to get worse, as the virus spreads. You not helping is going to have NO positive impact on the spread or the economy.

Dang, people have GOT to have the ability to think this through. The benefit of over reaction vastly outweighs the risks. Especially in the short term...to protect the healthcare system.

The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of YOU.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,864 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
What Coronavirus really needs to do is knock out a young healthy celebrity.. and then some kids will notice..

There could be ads "If you aren't Tom Hanks you probably aren't getting a ventilator"
Certainly, neither of us is wishing illness or death on anyone, but you are probably right. Lose some twitch tok superstar influencer and maybe that generation would pay attention, lol.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:53 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 210 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
Looks like the redneck rager is continuing for a second day. Grant me the strength to stay away lol.
This is why we can't have nice things. Unless you're at an insanely crowded course, disc golf should be playable in a safe, low infection risk manner.

All we have to do to contain this is to reduce the number of other people an infected individual infects to below 1, instead of the 2-3 that the virus infects under normal societal rules. This is very easily attained with modest changes to our social behavior. Washing your hands and staying 6 feet from people drastically reduces your risk. The problem is, it takes the vast majority of people buying in for it to work. Unfortunately we have way too many people that think they know better, don't care, or are just plain stupid. So instead of us all being able to live somewhat normal lives and enjoy certain outdoor activities in a responsible fashion, we're going to all end up denied that in a few weeks when we're in lockdown.

Niced: (1)