Old 03-21-2020, 12:10 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 99 Times in 80 Posts

Nice day in the sun today. Feels like spring.

Here’s where I’m at with everything, even gave the xstep a lil test run.

My stride to the left side is throwing me off. That will be the next thing to work on, not sure if I ever got rid of it or if it’s just come back.

Took the hammer out and after one swing I felt where I should be swinging again ...targetward.

I think my shift is too slow still too, like I’m sinking into the plant leg not shifting.

Also something not right with the shoulders? Something is off somewhere but had so great shots with some putters going the furthest yet with little effort. And threw an FD 340’ with only very mild turn! Which is huge for me.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2020, 01:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,411 Times in 2,080 Posts

You are trying to shift mass instead of weight pressure/tilt - riding the bull. Mass is slow, pressure is fast.

Do an x-step with butt wiping the wall the entire way until you stand up in finish on front leg. Heels should be fairly close to wall about 3" rear - 6" front, so you shouldn't be sticking your butt out to hit the wall, but standing more upright balanced on feet/heels. There should be a little hop over the rear leg to stride into plant. You are stepping/striding away from the wall, and on standstill backswing your butt never makes it back against the wall.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Birdie Member

I see what you mean when doing wall drills now. Feels like everything wants to u wind more naturally. I do have a question though;

When shifting from behind, am I meant to be shifting into the plant leg until feeling a strong connection before swinging

Or

Is it more of a push/fast flex/hop into the plant and everything unwinds as soon as pressure is felt on the plant heel.

I guess what I’m trying to ask is how much of a push is it into the plant leg from behind? Pushing/shifting until I feel things moving?

I only ask as in some of the hip drills (posted all over the place) those guys look like they are really making their hips active, right now I’m not. I’m just flexing off tge rear foot backwards and catching myself. But I don’t really feel a strong connection from behind me, and wonder if I’m not shifting enough. This could also be because you said I’m trying to move my mass instead of tilt.

Hopefully get a chance to work on this today thanks SW, I’m going to watch that dr yeager video again.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:02 PM
Birdie Member

It seems like in the chris yeager video he says to keep pressing against the front side until everything opens up.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Not sure what you are asking/saying and think it depends on feel and dynamics and balance, more so than statics and absolutes. Your width of stance may change some things as will swinging one-handed vs two-handed. I think one leg drill and elephant walk drill and throwing a heavy sledgehammer might answer those questions.

How do you leverage the sledgehammer? Would you try to toss it without swinging forward first before backswing, or would you ever try to stop it mid-backswing?

When I watch you in the one step vid, you keep stopping half way into the backswing and making these little jerky movements instead making a big fluid movement all the way back and forth without stopping. Let go and swing!

Also bugs me how you keep looking over to the right when you release the practice swings, so you are opening up too much or too early. I don't know if you watching the traffic or people or distracted or what, but you are not maintaining focus out to the target.

The second one step throw was definitely tipped over top your front leg, head tilted over. This is related to the shifting mass vs shifting pressure/tilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5aA_my8yio#t=2m12s

SC - 3:20 "Wow this feels so weird"

Old 03-23-2020, 04:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
It seems like in the chris yeager video he says to keep pressing against the front side until everything opens up.
Momentum will keep pressing against the front side as rear foot goes airborne. When the front side opens - from the front side, the rear side will pivot around and get pulled around to target.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Birdie Member

https://youtu.be/gT6CuF4kTA8
Old 03-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Momentum will keep pressing against the front side as rear foot goes airborne. When the front side opens - from the front side, the rear side will pivot around and get pulled around to target.
So it’s momentum that does the unloading not an active press

Niced: (1)
Old 03-23-2020, 06:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quick, but you are still striding your front foot forward, so it ends up slowing down because you make it longer instead of compact.
Front toes should be on ground when making that quick shift to push the front heel down. Both toes on ground and both heels up and shift.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:07 PM
Birdie Member

Well no progress today. Think I’m rushing somewhere. Can’t do it slow and controlled but make that quick shift with the lower body at the same time. Over the top everytime. Will have to play around with getting the toe down before I’ve actually never worked on that movement before.