Old 03-24-2020, 03:47 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,376 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
No they're not. Local Govs. here are keeping parks open and encouraging people to get out and hike. So PDGA is ahead of the curve.

With that said they better not close down the parks around here...I mean the Gov, not PDGA.
Many places have shut down parks already, while others have shut down indoor facilities, and some are still open. My point was that the PDGA could've said to stop playing when they shut down the season a while back. My more important point was also that they're issuing that as a CYA move more than anything else.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-24-2020, 03:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Many places have shut down parks already, while others have shut down indoor facilities, and some are still open. My point was that the PDGA could've said to stop playing when they shut down the season a while back. My more important point was also that they're issuing that as a CYA move more than anything else.
I could have bought Amazon stock at $5 also but I didn't. Knowing that now doesn't make me a smart investor just like knowing they "could have said" this before doesn't make any point or prove them wrong.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,445 Times in 835 Posts

They are idiots. People need to be outdoors in the sunlight. As per the norm, the PDGA has it backwards.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:31 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,053 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
They are idiots. People need to be outdoors in the sunlight. As per the norm, the PDGA has it backwards.
You can still be outside and get sunlight and not play disc golf publicly. I mean I know this is obvious, but your post makes it sound like the only way to get that is disc golf.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,345 Times in 750 Posts

I'm afraid that the PDGA's statement combined with the Chucker Apocalypse currently rampaging our courses will get some clubs to decide that it's best to close some of the club maintained courses for awhile.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:56 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,513 Times in 1,609 Posts

I'm all for responsibly eliminating the spread. But I still plan to take well spaced walks as allowed during our lockdown... I just plan to do it on the course.

The key is to be responsible. I'll be playing solo, or maybe with my son. At least 10 ft between me and ...everyone.

Avoid touching stuff other than my discs and bag. Don't putt out gimmes or touch chains. Probs score a bit better, cuz I skip putts I should make, but don't always make. . Soak a paper towel with alcohol and thoroughly wipe my hands before grabbing the wheel.

Don't hang or make extra stops I don't need to make.

If you can't do something responsibly, then don't do it, period. To ru4por's point, the problem is with those who through ignorance or arrogance, dont act responsibly. Trust me when I say their propensity to act irresponsibly stretches waaaaayyyy beyond the course.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,227 Times in 1,742 Posts

Are people getting grumpy from not playing?

I don't see a big deal, in what the PDGA said or how they said it.

Response to current events has been evolving, and like others, the PDGA's position has been evolving towards greater precaution. They obviously don't have authority over casual play, but are advising their members and any other disc golfers they may reach. It seems particularly odd to criticize them for using a couple of sentences as foundation, before that part of the message.

No big deal. It won't have much affect, but it won't do any harm either.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 64
Niced 160 Times in 79 Posts

If you know someone with a private course that has very limited traffic, sure go play solo (with permission obviously). Public facilities with hard surfaces are obvious transmission sites, golf baskets included. Playgrounds have been getting cordoned off with caution tape, and something as easily removed as a basket will be if people don't stop using them. That's why a place like NYC can't slow the spread very well, it's impossible to navigate that city without touching surfaces. But guess what, you can still play golf using trees/objects as targets in appropriately remote areas.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.5
Courses Played: 52
Niced 673 Times in 289 Posts

CYA move. It allows them to walk away without having to do anything else but wash their hands of disc golf for the time being. Weak. I'll continue playing solo rounds. I'll also think long and hard before I send my $50 in next year.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 830 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
No they're not. Local Govs. here are keeping parks open and encouraging people to get out and hike. So PDGA is ahead of the curve.

With that said they better not close down the parks around here...I mean the Gov, not PDGA.
Yep total CYA and they have to do it. That doesn't mean I have to listen to them, I'm a responsible person, not one of the idiot chuckers.

Keep the businesses closed and the parks open. So far Ohio has it right. And I'll very begrudgingly admit that Mike DeWine has made the right choices so far. (Primaries a perfect example of this).

Speaking of idiot chuckers, they aren't PDGA members. I'm not a member most years either. Most disc golfers are not members. Most people on this forum are not members.

So while I understand the "message" I will do what I have been doing, playing responsibly and going to the store once a week to get food. No other trips, no gathering in groups, limiting my exposure and therefore my family and neighbors exposure as much as possible.

I'm in the high risk group. My wife just had surgery. You can be damned sure I don't want to get this thing but I'm not living my life in fear either.