#291  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:29 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,481
Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
Not that anyone besides me will be impressed, but I just measured my longest throw ever (using UDisc's measure throw app) of 385 feet +/- 16 feet from each point so I guess +/- 32 feet with a Big-Z Thrasher.
It was a hyzerflip in a deserted parking lot of my local YMCA and was one of those throws that as it came out of my hands, I thought, "dang, that was everything I could have wanted in that throw... aim, power, amount of hyzer, etc". Anyway, I figured I might as well take advantage of the huge parking lot and use the light poles as targets. I had been getting 320-360' most of the session with hyzerflipped heats and thrashers along with flat nukes, but this one was the throw that showed me what I am capable of with more practice.
Thrashers are very capable of big distance. However, they'll flip on you if you aren't careful. I've probably gotten a Thrasher out to 420' or so. For every really nice hyzerflip bomb I'd probably flip over 5 other shots. Too many bad throws and not enough good ones for me to really dig the Thrasher. IDK if you throw Terns or not, but a Tern will do everything a Thrasher will, but better. Not quite as erratic either.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 PM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 791
Niced 264 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Thrashers are very capable of big distance. However, they'll flip on you if you aren't careful. I've probably gotten a Thrasher out to 420' or so. For every really nice hyzerflip bomb I'd probably flip over 5 other shots. Too many bad throws and not enough good ones for me to really dig the Thrasher. IDK if you throw Terns or not, but a Tern will do everything a Thrasher will, but better. Not quite as erratic either.
I think my thrashers are still new enough to resist turning over on me unless I throw them with any anhyzer or if I throw them flat into the wind. I really like the rim on the thrasher; it's a very comfortable thickness that I can grip easily. And I can get it to flip, but it consistently fades back for me unlike a heat, which flips up and rides straight for a long time but then rides a hell of a turnover line
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 03-27-2020, 07:57 PM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 791
Niced 264 Times in 151 Posts
Default

403
I broke the 400 barrier with my Big-Z thrasher.
Had a tailwind, and threw it flat for a nice soaring s-shot... it even went where I aimed it.
For reference, into the headwind on the way back, I got it 354' on a hyzerflip
I honestly did not think I'd ever reach 400 feet and yes, this was with a tailwind, but still, I was pretty proud of myself.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 03-27-2020, 11:29 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,481
Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
403
I broke the 400 barrier with my Big-Z thrasher.
Had a tailwind, and threw it flat for a nice soaring s-shot... it even went where I aimed it.
For reference, into the headwind on the way back, I got it 354' on a hyzerflip
I honestly did not think I'd ever reach 400 feet and yes, this was with a tailwind, but still, I was pretty proud of myself.
Good job. Now, try a star Tern. Similar flight to the Thrasher, but a little less flaky. You'll probably tack on another 20-30' instantly.
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:13 AM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 791
Niced 264 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Good job. Now, try a star Tern. Similar flight to the Thrasher, but a little less flaky. You'll probably tack on another 20-30' instantly.
This isn't the first time you suggested a tern to me (I asked you about the Spectra a while back). I think my wife will kill me if any more discs show up in the mail while we're shut in. Playing (hopefully) in a couple events Driven by Innova in a couple months. Maybe they'll have a tern there!

But the Big-Z thrasher stamp is so fun! This is almost identical to my disc.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 05-03-2020, 08:54 PM
twistedraven twistedraven is online now
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 5
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

My 164g BigZ Thrasher has been recently doing me wonders for tailwind shots! I got a 436 foot tailwind shot (7mph or so) with it just a couple days ago on a very gradual downhill. However in a headwind it's rather useless. I also bought a 167g ESP Thrasher from InfiniteDiscs-- presumably a recent run of ESP. I have heard that ESP is more understable than the BigZ, but check this out:



ESP on left: BigZ on right. The ESP's parting line is way higher, and it has slightly more of a dome to it, while the BigZ is rather flat. I haven't gotten quite enough throws in with it to know for sure just how it compares, but I'm pretty sure it's more overstable by a decent amount.

Last edited by twistedraven; 05-03-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 05-03-2020, 11:55 PM
ILUVSMGS18 ILUVSMGS18 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Keeseville, NY
Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 12
Posts: 1,849
Niced 532 Times in 376 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
My 164g BigZ Thrasher has been recently doing me wonders for tailwind shots! I got a 436 foot tailwind shot (7mph or so) with it just a couple days ago on a very gradual downhill. However in a headwind it's rather useless. I also bought a 167g ESP Thrasher from InfiniteDiscs-- presumably a recent run of ESP. I have heard that ESP is more understable than the BigZ, but check this out:



ESP on left: BigZ on right. The ESP's parting line is way higher, and it has slightly more of a dome to it, while the BigZ is rather flat. I haven't gotten quite enough throws in with it to know for sure just how it compares, but I'm pretty sure it's more overstable by a decent amount.
I've got a Ti (or Big Z, still unsure), and a new ESP, and the ESP is quite a bit more overstable than the Ti/Big Z. It refuses to turn with a tailwind, but flips immediately in a headwind. I have yet to try it in calm winds, but I suspect it will find a spot between my Zeus and Ti/Big Z.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 05-26-2020, 07:08 PM
riltim riltim is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 878
Niced 261 Times in 147 Posts
Default

What's the most stable version of a Thrasher that still has that beautiful glide. I am recently revisiting these after throwing nothing faster than the Orion LF and Falk for a while. Easily pushing 30-40' more than either of those with less effort. Currently have two 171-172 BigZ and one 167 Z.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
 

  #299  
Old 05-27-2020, 12:01 AM
twistedraven twistedraven is online now
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 5
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The more recent runs of ESP seem to be very stable. I think my flies as if my Anax and BigZ Thrasher had a baby. Hyzer flip to flat to subtle, forward penetrating fade. However I'm not sure if it was just a specific run or all new ESPs. I'm getting two more super swirly ESPs from Infinite Discs soon so I'll find out.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renegade vs. Thrasher PMantle Discs 4 02-21-2018 03:35 PM
Bowling Green Player Pack Items - Thrasher, Machete, DGPT Socks, Dry Fits Radwyn The Marketplace 2 04-27-2017 08:39 PM
Z Crank for Z Thrasher RomServo The Marketplace 5 12-09-2016 08:20 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.